Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    This is exciting. I'm seeing a theme here:

Red dots are advantageous on rifles. When properly designed and implemented they are an advantage on handguns too.

Muzzle devices are an advantage on rifles too. And when properly designed and implemented, they are an advantage on the pistol too.

I'm excited to see more.

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    Would a comp make sense on a PDW?

I picked up a gen 3 Glock 17 with a threaded barrel that I was going to use as a dedicated PDW.
    I have a G35 with a 6" 357 Sig barrel. It needed a comp because the muzzle flip was intense. With the comp it's a face shooter at 100 yards.

I turned it into a PDW and left the comp on it. I've always intended to test it without the comp, because I don't think it would be necessary with the stock...but I just haven't gotten around to it.

I probably wouldn't bother with a comp on a G17 PDW...leave the threads for a suppressor.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

If people are that damned terrified about comps at close range, they should not be carrying a self-loading pistol at all. One push against the muzzle and the gun is out of battery. Better get a revolver.

And if you have a wheelgun with a comp (like the S&W Performance Center guns), shove the gun into the opponent and let the comp burn him.

Do you leave the threaded barrel as is? I want to still have the option for a can.
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend

TWOTU since 2016

I would really be interested in a more thorough explanation of the science behind it, as well as any measurable metrics. I'm somewhat resistant to the idea, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. I've only shot a few such guns--the Glock "C" guns, a Springfield V10, and a couple of .38 SA IPSC 1911s. The race guns were nice, but the "C"s and the V-10 were horrible. My dominant memory from shooting them was the amount of powder, soot, and gunk that sprayed up out of the barrel and got all over my arms and in my hair.

I know that sometimes the benefits of a particular upgrade are somewhat intangible; they can be felt but not measured. But I would appreciate an attempt at measuring the advantage here. I also know that Gabe doesn't often use a shot clock for anything, and I generally agree with the reasoning, but in this case it seems like the best measurement of the tool. If we had one known and established shooter (Gabe, Greg, Brent, or whomever) shoot a G19 with a comp against a G17 (I suggest the 17, because someone who is willing to carry a G19 with a comp is probably already carrying a 17) and measure their fastest times with each. Run five shot groups at various distances, paying attention to both speed and accuracy, and then compare the two guns.

I like measurable numbers, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Given the ease of installing this, and the fact that I've already got a 19 with a threaded barrel, I'm sure that I'll give it a try regardless. So I'm not really suggesting this as something that is necessary to sell me on it. But I like numbers.
    Virtute et Armis

Well too bad LD...no numbers or science. If I have to dance that hard to sell you I would just as soon you not buy one.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I'd like to chime in and say these are a long time coming for a carry gun. My questions is, are these Glock specific or will it be cost efficient to make them for Sigs, M&P's etc?
    Last edited by Delta-3; 02-09-2019 at 08:15 PM.
    Rom 13:4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil,
    be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister,
    an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

I don’t have numbers or video. But I can tell you that with the comped guns I have shot, it has made a hell of a difference.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

"The Glock "C" models are not the same as a properly designed comp."

Excellent explanation of the difference between a compensated barrel and a ported barrel.
    "We should always try to do the right thing and the moral thing and the legal thing, but first we should do the SMART thing."
    --John S. Farnam
    Defense Training International

To use this on a 26 it just needs a 26 threaded barrel correct? I was expecting the 26 to go to 19 length and not 17 length. I'll be adopting this set up when the weather gets warmer and I move from my 226 to the glock.

For what it is worth to anyone I had a 32c for awhile. The difference in recoil on 357sig was noticeable even with that set up when moving to a non ported barrel. Besides that the biggest difference was the concussion from the round was very different. The 357 does have quite the blast.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk