Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default A BRIEF DISCUSSION ON PISTOL COMPENSATORS

IMG-20190208-WA0001.jpg

I have been around a long time. In fact, I bought my first pistol when the majority of the Youtube Commandos were still swimming around in their father's nutsack. I have seen many trends and new things come and go, and I have the apparently rare perspective in this "industry" of knowing what killing an armed enemy up close is like. In short, the ability to repeatedly hit him in vital ares hard and - did I say repeatedly - repeatedly, is important. The needs for killing the man that wants to kill you, before you yourself are killed trumps policy, tradition, ideas of propriety, and anything else.

This industry is often resistant to technology. We see the old instructor (usually younger than me) pat his belly and announce, "all ya gotta do is train more and watch yer sights", as if he was such a deadly man-killer dropping a diamond of hearsay wisdom. "Its the indian and not the arrow son". Well, here is the reality. An open minded indian of means will not make do with an antiquated bow and economy arrows. He will get the best gear that he can and does not give a feathered crap what his ancestors would have used. What does he want to do? To hit hard, accurately, and repeatedly without any drama, difficulty, or delay. That is how killing takes place because if you need more than one proactive shot, you will need those additional shots very badly.

In 2009...incredibly some ten years ago this month...I added a J-Point to a dovetail cut into a Glock slide. That was the beginning of a revolution that has become so mainstream today that the laughs and comments of a decade ago are almost unbelievable. The red dot allows us to shoot faster and with much greater precision than was possible with only iron sights. Truly, even guys that are good with irons, will be better with red dots. And it isn't me saying it. Ask any attendee of our Red Dot Combat Pistol school and ask them what they did. We reduced engagement speeds and the extended the deployment envelope of the pistol dramatically.

The red dot in combination with a match barrel, an NP3 trigger linkage, and a contoured grip structure allows you to do amazing things. But once the first shot is fired, the functional mechanics of the pistol are the same as they were 100 years ago. Firing, extracting, ejecting, feeding and repeating. And that causes muzzle rise. Muzzle rise moves the pistol up and away from target and the shooter must bring the weapon back before firing again.

Yes, the shooter can grip tighter, and push-pull and all manner of physical actions intended to attenuate that muzzle rise, but the muzzle will still rise. And if we are seeking excellence...the ability to kill the terrorist better and faster and with greater certainty, we cannot deny that muzzle rise is not a friend but rather an adversary to overcome. No gunfight was ever won because your weapon had greater recoil and muzzle rise, any more than because it had a heavy trigger, uncomfortable grip, or difficult to see sights.

Enter the compensator. I first saw a comp on a Smith & Wesson 5906 one of the officers at my agency had bought. It was like a caveman seeing a Scottish Claymore for the first time. And my friend shot it very well, and used it in a gunfight against a car load of bad guys. Eventually, the agency got wise and disallowed such a piece of kit and the matter was dropped and out of mind for years. But our ongoing quest to make us all better at our selected mission renewed the study of muzzle rise reduction.

The first comp worked well, but required lighter springs and it was heavy. I wanted to make it better and so we developed the Street Comp. Aluminum construction and able to use the same recoil unit that came on your pistol. While you can certainly play with changing spring weights, the Street Comp is 100% reliable with factory recoil units. Thusfar we have over 1000 rounds through our test units and we have yet to experience a single stoppage.

100% reliability - truly surgical accuracy at all distances - drastically reduced muzzle climb - the ability to continue hitting without losing the sight picture as fast as you can press the trigger and until your magazine runs out of ammo.

When added to a Glock 19 slide the weapon becomes as long as a 17 with a threaded barrel...just shy of the size of a 34. When mated with a new Glock 19X, you in essence create a Glock 34 sized pistol. And shooting it is an astounding experience. The dot arrives on target and it remains there as you shot. The slide reciprocates forward and back, but not up. And hyper accurate shots can be placed on target as fast as you can press the trigger.

And what that allows you to do is the essence of the exercise.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Well then, since I carry a 19 and 34 from you and your fine company, it only makes sense to add this to the 19.
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend

TWOTU since 2016

I'll be buying a few of these for sure!

That said, I know almost nothing about comps so I have a few questions about them, particularly the street comp:

How quickly do they get hot to the touch?
    How do they attach to the pistol?
    Are there any drawbacks to using a street comp on a concealed edc pistol?

When you first posted the video of these some guys in my combatives class got excited. Im going to let them try mine when I order it. I suspect you may have some new customers soon.

Thanks!

So my POV

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    How quickly do they get hot to the touch?

I haven't noticed any unusual heat transfer. Certainly no more than a regular slide...and carrying appendix...I would notice.

How do they attach to the pistol?

Screw it on to a 1/2x28 barrel and then secure with two allen screws supplied. I use some green or red loctite as well. Use a quality barrel (not some out of spec LoneWolf sewer pipe) and you will be golden

Are there any drawbacks to using a street comp on a concealed edc pistol?

Not that I have seen. If you can carry a 34, this will be slightly shorter. The Comp turns a 26 into a 17 length, a 19 into 34 length, and a 17 into 17L length. For a 19 with a comp, you need a 34 holster, or an open bottom holster.

When you first posted the video of these some guys in my combatives class got excited. Im going to let them try mine when I order it. I suspect you may have some new customers soon.

Thanks!
    Gabriel Suarez

Gabriel Suarez

So I have been in more street police gunfights than many of the popular cool instructors out there. I wore no ear pro for them and my hearing is perfect. Moreover, we were in the infancy of shotgun breaching and breached maybe one door a week that way and no damage either. And yes, i get everything head to toe checked yearly.

So IMHAPO (humble and practical) gunfire instantly creating hearing damage is a myth.

But to the Comp...I find it no louder than any other pistol. The cameraman was right there next to me, and the other videos you can see that I am Fudd-Danger-Close to the muzzle for the video and noticed nothing unusual.

Next week I will fire a series of drills with the comp in retention, upside down and whatever to eradicate the remainder of comp myths and legends.

Remember what I said about red dots ten years ago...comps will be the next mainstream thing adopted by the big gun companies.
    Gabriel Suarez

Gabriel Suarez

Gabriel Suarez

As far as cleaning the barrel, do you just clean it while it is in the slide?

I assume you don't remove the comp for cleaning.

No...leave the comp on. Lock it open and clean.
    Gabriel Suarez