Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Colt CK901: An AR in 7.62x39mm for the Yemeni Military

Colt has made for the Yemenis an AR designed with a .308 dimensioned bolt for 7.62x39 with a modified magazine well for AK mags. Not available at this time for sale in the USA. I think they could sell some of them here depending on the price point.

One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

ARs in 7.62x39 have been around for a long time. Nobody wants one. CMMG makes one that even takes AK-style mags. They can't sell them. They are around in other forms though. The 6.5 Grendel is just a necked down 7.62x39 case.

Quote Originally Posted by jesmith View Post
    ARs in 7.62x39 have been around for a long time. Nobody wants one. CMMG makes one that even takes AK-style mags. They can't sell them. They are around in other forms though. The 6.5 Grendel is just a necked down 7.62x39 case.
    I would prefer the colt to the CMMG. I do have an AR in 7.62x39, but know that the AR15 platform is not really robust enough for the 7.62x39. I have large stocks of AK ammo and my current AR upper in 7.62x39 was inexpensive and I already had a lower.

This colt AR is of interest, but colt is not offering it domestically and perhaps what you say is why it will not be offered. I have a 6.5 G also and it has impressive ballistics.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Nobody wants one.
    I know of pig hunters that like the 7.62x39 round in the AR.

If they worked I wouldn’t mind one, or just shoot an ak. I still don’t care much for ars, call me unamerican I don’t care...

Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    If they worked I wouldn’t mind one, or just shoot an ak. I still don’t care much for ars, call me unamerican I don’t care...

Not a problem relative to function if they are set up right. Mine needed a longer firing pin and stronger hammer hammer spring along with three tungsten wts because my upper was over gassed. The other owners I know say that their 7.62x39 ARs work well also. Since I have a lot of ammo it makes sense. With the AR just change your upper and you have a new caliber. I still have AKs and SKSs also, but have decided that AR is a more adaptable package. The only thing that AK has over the AR is a folding stock capability.

For a poor country that seems like a big waste of money.
    They should just issue AK's and spend what they save on something else.

Now if we could just find a problem for this answer.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bond View Post
    For a poor country that seems like a big waste of money.
    They should just issue AK's and spend what they save on something else.
    The right guy got bought off to make that purchase.

I wouldn't mind seeing one in person. A Colt will be made properly, at least.
    Making the bad man go away since 1982.

One of the rules for U.S. military aid is it has to be spent, with rare exception, on U.S. products. If you are a Yemeni general in charge of procurement and want or need new rifles, this gun makes a lot of sense. U.S. basically pays for the gun and you can shoot your ammo and use your pretty well indestructible AK mags. Save what you would otherwise spend for AR ammo and mags from your U.S aid for other U.S. made gear. If they bought new AKs from a non U.S sources, they’d pay for them out of pocket.

Most military Iraqis I talked to preferred AKs to ARs. A lot of that is maybe it always goes bang but, I’m guessing, it might also be 7.62x39 is just a better 0-300m cartridge for military applications. Shoots thru cars and masonry that stops 5.56mm.

It must be better for hog hunting as it seems like a lot of the pay to hunt places don’t allow .223 or 5.56mm.