Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEAR

Greg says above that fear of high places is one of our two innate fears. But that fear can be pretty much eliminated by a few hours of rock climbing or even just going up on the roof regularly to clean the gutters. Surely one of the benefits of training is learning to forget our own fears and let the other guy fear us.

Let me throw this out. Fear will more often kill the unprepared. The ones that have not thought through or visualized scenarios in advance.

Without this prior consideration, fear will push them smack into Hicks Law, presenting so many possible decisions that while they are deciding they are overrun.

Training not only sharpens and reinforces physical responses, but shows what decisions are important and which ones can be bypassed. The key there is not, what to worry about, but what not to worry about.
    Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most.

Gunsite Orange, API -250 Sept. 1978 (Everybody starts somewhere)
    CRG - July 2011, Oct. 2017
    PSP - April 2012
    TMCO - Sept. 2012
    TWOTU since 2011

Glock Certified Armorer

After a good session at the dojo this afternoon, a few of us got together for a quick drink.

Ted, from the combat aviator perspective, shared that when shit is really hitting the fan there is no time for fear. Best phrase of the night and of course perfect for the aviator: "Fear is drag."

I pick on DeBeckers book because though I like and agree with a few of the points he raises, I have issues with how he says it. To me, the good points of the book can be distilled into "Listen to your gut. Don't second guess yourself. Don't let the fear of being rude cloud your judgment." Yes he said many other things but to me, those were the points worth taking home. And in that summary...again, fear is not a gift. Fear is what makes us second guess our judgment. Fear of being rude, of consequences, of "being the bad guy" is what makes us ignore our gut and make poor decisions.

One of the popular concepts in Japanese martial arts is "Mizu no kokoro" - which translates roughly to "A mind like water." This means it is a mind that reflects reality, unclouded by our preconceptions, our mistaken ideas, our wishes for something better, our fears. It is a mind that correctly sees what IS. I tend to mock a lot of the fortune cookie wisdom but I like this one. We need a clear perception of reality, unfettered by extraneous baggage.

When we look at ourselves in the mirror, we must give ourselves an honest assessment. Recognizing weaknesses, but also strengths. Appropriately humble but no false modesty. It's not bragging if it's true.

When we look at circumstances, we must assess it accurately. Apprehension certainly, and proper respect for danger that will guide our actions appropriately.

Listen to your gut. Don't let fear cloud your gut's assessment.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

Point Break, 1991 - Bohdi: "...Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true..."

I think it would be beneficial to examine and break down fear in terms of what exactly is producing the fear to begin with. Obviously not all confrontations are a matter of life and death. So if one is experiencing fear in a non life threatening physical confrontation, what exactly is it that you are afraid of? Is it the "thoughts" of getting your ass whipped, "thoughts" of looking like an idiot, "thoughts" of appearing week?
    Paul

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.

My opinion...for those that care...people are afraid of certain things because they have been trained to be afraid of those things.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I watched a documentary on doctor Chris Barnard who performed the first successful heart transplant.

What was clear to me after listening to the people that were closes to him was that he had no fear or ever any doubt that he would be able to perform this operation.

His wife Karin said that he told her that he did stop for a moment when he stared into the empty chest cavity of his patient and realized that he would be placing the heart of another human being into this space in the next couple of seconds and would have to get the heart beating once again.

The pause was not out of fear causing him to freeze but a realization of the enormity of the moment. And a renewed sense of responsibility as the head of his team. Needing to insure that they all make the right decisions under pressure so that they could bring their patient back to life who had placed his life in their hands.

On the other hand away from the operating table people describe him as a man with a true compassion for his patients, especially children. And a loyal friend, always ready with quick joke and a laugh.

Not the characteristics with an arrogant man with an inflated view of his abilities and with no glue of the dangers and pitfalls of what the operation entails. But instead possessing a quiet confidence born out of his preparation beforehand which included knowledge-acquired through research, training-practicing the operation countless times and the realization that if he simply uses these tools he will not make a mistake and the patient will live-Giving him the ability to back himself.

Cabe I chose to use this real life example which still held life or death decisions albeit not in the world of combat. Where the person still had to act without fear. With the knowledge that if he made decisions based on fear somebody would die.

It just felt presumptuous of me to talk about making life or death decisions under pressure with you and the likes of Papa having already contributed to the threat.

Have a great evening.

OSSU
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

Action cures fear. Take action, do something, right or wrong doing something is always better than doing nothing.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

THOSE WHO READ - SEE RECENT BLOG POST
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Sancap wrote:

Greg says above that fear of high places is one of our two innate fears. But that fear can be pretty much eliminated by a few hours of rock climbing or even just going up on the roof regularly to clean the gutters. Surely one of the benefits of training is learning to forget our own fears and let the other guy fear us.
    Greg is right, but I think he stated it a little inaccurately. The two natural human fears are sudden loud noises and falling, not heights. When you start to fall, fear grabs you because you're, well...falling! Helplessly perhaps and at risk of death. Sudden loud noises - fear of that it simply a survival instinct as well.

As for fear in a gunfight? Am I going to feel fear? Sure, if you equate an adrenaline rush with "fear". But I
    m not going to have "fearful" thoughts about all the possible bad outcomes because all I'm focused on is killing the threat before it can kill me.
    "Let him cut your skin, and you cut his flesh. Let him cut your flesh, and you cut his bones. Let him cut your bones, and you cut off his life."
    - Toshitsugo Takamatsu