Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default GLOCK MAGAZINE PDWS

I am going to make a statement. I am sure many will disagree, but whatever. Unless it is going into a Glock receiver, I have changed my mind on the validity of a carbine/smg sized weapon requiring the use of pistol magazines.

Why? Because the reliability factor is simply not there. A Glock mag in a Glock = 100% reliability.

A Glock mag in an AR-15 = I have yet to see one that is 100%. 95-99%, all day long...but that is not 100%. Unless its a range toy, for which I have no interest, a PCC/SMG should have dedicated magazines such as the Evo, UZI, or MP5...even the Colt 30 round SMG.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Probably mostly due to the feed angle of the Glock mags... Perfect for the Glock, not so much for an AR.

How are the feed ramps of most AR Glock fed carbines configured? I only have experience with the freedom ordnance FX-9 and the feed ramp is a specific design just for this application.The round really has no place to go other than in the chamber.Im right at 3000 rounds now with zero malfunctions.I suppose it's technically not an AR though.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Frederick View Post
    Probably mostly due to the feed angle of the Glock mags... Perfect for the Glock, not so much for an AR.
    My thoughts exactly...and no, I don't think those angles can be adapted. I have worked with several Glock Mag adapted weapons and none have the reliability that I would rely on. I am expecting a slew of "well...MY Glock mag whateverthehell AR carbine works fine". Good for you then...none of the various versions I have worked with are reliable.

So what is then?

Well, the bar is still set by the MP5. Few will want to spend the cash for those.
    Uzi were quite reliable but they are heavy as hell compared to modern 9mm SMG.

There is the Evo of course, and we hear of an AR-like lower that accepts Mp5 magazines. Yes...MP5 mags are more costly than Glock mags. Oh well.
    Gabriel Suarez

I tend to agree.

SMGs and Glock PDWs shoot equally well but I've begun to think of them in somewhat different roles.

The SMG strikes me as a proactive tool. It's something for men who hunt other men, something you take with you for a specific mission. The Glock PDW shoots just as well, but for a planned assault it's good to have something more solid. It's bigger and heavier than the PDW and that additional mass is an asset in those circumstances. As such...does it really matter that the mag doesn't fit in your pistol? You go to the event with enough mags for both. Rifles use different mags from our pistols, so how are SMGs any different? Just because it's the same round as your pistol isn't that compelling to me. Sure, the same mag would be nice but only if it works with the same reliability.

The Glock PDW on the other hand is more for the unplanned event. It's smaller, lighter, fits in smaller places whether that's a drawer or a bag. More easily transported between home and place of work. Easily carried in a vehicle...the pistol that gives you just a little more capability. It's not a reactive tool, that's a job for your EDC. But the PDW isn't the thing you take to an expected fight, it's the thing you happent to have with you should an event come to you. An event that gives you the luxury of reaching for more than your EDC. Because it's an unplanned event, you don't carry so many mags with you. Mag compatibility is a potentially important factor.

Of course both the SMG and PDW can be used for home defense. And while mag compatibility is nice to have, it's just not that big a deal IMO.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

This is far more interesting to me, and desirable than any "Takes Glock Mags" AR.

20170119_144748.jpg
    Gabriel Suarez

For me the real virtue of Glock mags is that they a new, not thirty years old as in UZI and MP5 mags. What I don't like about the Glock "SMGs" is the angle they are required to be inserted into the magwell. Maybe that's me being me again; but Ive got too much time on real SMGs to ever fully embrace the Glock mag ARs et'al, that being said it didn't stop me from putting together a few based PCCs, and yes when I did my part they ran/run fine.

As for reliable Glock mag guns, Im told the Kriss Vectors are pretty good; but never having run them, Ill defer to the experiences of others.

STILL if theres a ready supply of milspec NEW mags for the MP5 or UZI or Sterling, or Vz61, Hell even Thompson or PPSh, then yes I prefer those--always have. It was the necessity of using 50 year old PPs43 mags that kept me from embracing a 762x25 AR. So before I rush to buy a QC10 AR lower that uses MP5 mags, I want a source for NEW MP5 mags.

No shits to give on my end what you buy or do not buy...since I don't sell DIY things you can assemble in your spare time, nor Circle 10 ARs. Simply making an observation on Glock Mag ARs and their lack of reliability in my experience.
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    For me the real virtue of Glock mags is that they a new, not thirty years old as in UZI and MP5 mags. What I don't like about the Glock "SMGs" is the angle they are required to be inserted into the magwell. Maybe that's me being me again; but Ive got too much time on real SMGs to ever fully embrace the Glock mag ARs et'al, that being said it didn't stop me from putting together a few based PCCs, and yes when I did my part they ran/run fine.

As for reliable Glock mag guns, Im told the Kriss Vectors are pretty good; but never having run them, Ill defer to the experiences of others.

STILL if theres a ready supply of milspec NEW mags for the MP5 or UZI or Sterling, or Vz61, Hell even Thompson or PPSh, then yes I prefer those--always have. It was the necessity of using 50 year old PPs43 mags that kept me from embracing a 762x25 AR. So before I rush to buy a QC10 AR lower that uses MP5 mags, I want a source for NEW MP5 mags.
    Colt-pattern mags are available new. How about a modernized DOE build?
    Making the bad man go away since 1982.

Iím pretty jazzed about the Magpul mags for the Evo. Thatíll likely push me over the edge toward that platform.
    Last edited by DogDoc; 02-01-2019 at 04:56 PM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net