Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I worked a corporate IT gig with a no weapons policy for over a decade. I wore a knife with a 3-4” blade the entire time, with a pocket clip. I would use it to open boxes. Everyone saw it. No one ever complained.

There was a secure factory floor where the “convicts” worked. Even the security guards working the metal detectors didn’t say anything about my knife when I put it into the tray.

That wouldn’t fly with a gun.

Working in Higher Ed, the no firearms / weapons are in place. The beauty....I'm in the Texas and LTC holders are allowed into public colleges. Conceal means as such. As much as I appreciate a student with the glock hat, I can't help to think that's a giveaway for someone in the know (both friendly or not). Hell, it's free speech. Many snowflakes in the classroom was offended that day. Gotta love it ! Of course, the colleges have certain areas deemed "safe places". NPE items in my office no one bats an eye at such as my letter opener, my oversize kitchen scissors that splits in 2 if necessary, fire extinguisher, my tool kit, pocket knife, even my metal NPE SI chopsticks (hell I'm Asian ! ), My bottle opener (Choirboy), etc.

Appendix carry is by far the best method for carrying a pistol concealed in that type of setting. Barring that, I would avoid ankle carry for reasons already mentioned. The next best solutions imo would be belly band and off body carry in a bag or backpack. If you decide to go off body don’t just shove a gun in a bag or pocket in the bag. Get a bag liner something like what greyman tactical makes. Then get a good holster to mount to it. Keep your bag in an area that no one will mess with it. It’s not the preferred method but it’s better than not having a gun. And for Gods sake, do not tell a soul at work you carry one!

Regarding ditching a gun...

i have temporarily ditched a knife at an airport by shoving it into the soil of a planter - making sure to stand so that any possible cameras were blocked by the plant. I put it in a foil candy bar wrapper btw. Picked it up a week later when I came back through that same airport. Are there secluded planters where you could quickly dig a hole, bury the gat, and cover it over to retrieve later? Yes - a little extra cleaning later on - but you still have your job:)
    Is your desk metal? While at a gun show last week I saw a really kool magnet system for sticking your gun to the bottom of a desk. Not for daily use - but possible for a quick ditch if needed and if time and circumstances permit? Hint - Don't put a high strength neodymium magnet anywhere close to your computer monitor or you'll get some bizarre distortions that could attract the tech folks to your desk area!!!!

I must say that since getting my Seecamp, my mind is going a mile a minute about a zillion possibilities! Again - not the best gun or caliber to have with you - but the operative phrase here is "to have with you". Most of the time my EDC is a SI set up G17 with red dot and a total of 52 rounds on me. At the other end of the spectrum will now be the Seecamp for those hardcore NPE times when I simply can't have a gun on me:)

geezer john

Quote Originally Posted by WOLF220 View Post
    And for Gods sake, do not tell a soul at work you carry one!
    And while we're on the subject...best not to discuss anything along these lines at work AT ALL.

Work people often become friends. And if/when that happens and maybe that person mentions shooting, well a friendly outing to the range is not uncommon. But don't you bring it up and don't give away any hints at what you know and what you do.

The more experienced you are, the more you have your procedures down, the more professional you are, the better you'll recognize when you can break the rules. But when you're new at it, best to stick hard to those rules.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

I will add that my preferred carry for this niche is either an SI Jawbone (G19 with a G26 grip) or a Springfield XDS 4.0.

For any "compromise environments" (places that aren't true NPEs but will certainly have shitty repercussions if discovered), there is a trade off and compromise between capability and concealment. Usually, the greater the concealment needs, the more compromise needed for performance.

The Jawbone is, IMO, THE BEST combination of the two. It is as concealed as a double stack striker can be. The longer slide keeps it more secure under the waistband (shorter G26 slides pop out or at least "flop" forward more easily). And it gives up VERY LITTLE in terms of capability. Lower capacity yes, but accuracy is just as good as a G19 (if you do your job and spend additional time learning the smaller grip).

I don't like the full size XD pistols, but I'm a huge fan of the XDS for this role, particularly with the 4" barrel. Mine is every bit as accurate as a G19. Obviously you give up a lot more capacity. It is less capable, but more concealable. There are circumstances where the profile of a singlestack is necessary.

I will add...I do not like carrying a striker gun without a trigger guard. I've never used a belly band...but I do NOT like that there's nothing hard covering the trigger. Unlikely as an AD is, it's possible that something gets in there. At minimum I'd use a belly band with an NPE style trigger guard. OR...carry a single stack DA/SA pistol. Not many of those to choose from right now but they exist.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

No experience with the G43 or SI Jawbone but in work "NPE"s I've had great success with with Jframes. In pocket holsters, the shape of a Jframe looks more like a wallet and can disappear depending on the pants cut. Jframe works equally well in AIWB too.

Might be worthwhile to pick up a few blueguns and try out which hides best for you. Great for training too.

In regards to knives, those can always ride AIWB to be more discreet. Dual use items like the Choirboy and Scribe are solid choices as well.

If I have to wear a suit or a Tux, & I know that the jacket may come off, then it is generally a J frame on the ankle, with all of the caveats previously stated about ankle carry mode.

Untucked shirt environments provide for way more options.

Need to be discreet? Much has been said about AIWB, but not so much for CDIWB; I do CDIWB every day @ 1030, with an early production blunt nose PM9 in a very modified Comp-Tac straight drop kydex holster with a Comp-Tac nylon P clip, for compromise carry. I can carry AIWB; however, due to a previous injury, it is a chore for me to do so...for all-day-long carry, it is CDIWB for me. Is CDIWB "better" than AIWB? No, it isn't. Is it more comfortable? For me, hell yeah.

Pocket carry is also a potentially discreet viable option in a tucked shirt environment...that said, the largest that I personally regularly pocket in a business office environment is a Kahr P380 in a Safariland 25; occasionally, an Airweight J in a Safariland 25, but not that often. And the pants matter. A lot.

The Seecamp LWS is the king of deep concealment, if that matters for your situation. Sometimes you need a 3rd nut, sometimes you don't...IMO there is simply nothing better for that level of concealment.

Pocket clips? You might as well open carry a FB. Nothing ever really "hides in plain sight"...the most unexpected attention I have ever experienced for ANYTHING...was with a horizontal kydex holster for a then-new Surefire 6P, open carried at 1:00...that 6P holster was sourced directly from...wait for it...Massad Ayoob, who advocated "hide in plain sight"...my ass, Mas. It didn't. Not even close. It was a great low-risk lesson, though, at the time.

If there is any doubt whatsoever, fully concealed is the way to go. With some experience in your new environment you can then adjust accordingly...some things you can push or bend, and others are better off kept private with full discretion.

What I do when wearing a ankle holster (use to be with a Ruger LCP but now a Glock 43) I also wear low cut pull on work boots. I have also worn regular cowboy boots but it is a little harder to get to the gun in a higher boot. The boot top covers the lower part of the holster if your pant leg rises up and it also helps to cover the guns shape through the pant leg.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    And while we're on the subject...best not to discuss anything along these lines at work AT ALL.

Work people often become friends. And if/when that happens and maybe that person mentions shooting, well a friendly outing to the range is not uncommon. But don't you bring it up and don't give away any hints at what you know and what you do.
    I have nothing to offer you in way of firearm carry in the office, but this is key. Depending upon how important the position is to your economic well being never talk guns, shooting sports, self defense, or pro 2A. Never query guns on your keystroke logging corporate computer. If WiFi is provided to your personal device use the same discipline. And for gosh sakes do not visit warriortalk.com! Guns come up with someone you suspect may be a member of the Tribe - play stupid until you vet their intentions.

Your employee handbook likely has all manner of prohibition of any weapon of any kind; this thread has mentioned the many, many effective weapons in your typical call center. Years ago I received and engraved Louisville Slugger as a gift from a trading partner. Sure looks nice displayed next to my desk. Autographed and commerative baseballs/footballs/hockey pucks can really mess up the OODA. Folks marvel at my exotic looking “letter opener” which actually is a letter opener that TSA would immediately confiscate.