Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jesselp View Post
    One last bit that has worked for me: The Suarez Gunfighter Holster allows you to tuck a shirt in over the holster. All that shows are the two belt clips, which most people will assume are due to your cell phone. If you want to, you can even wear a dorky cell phone holster positioned to conceal the clips.
    Personally I wouldn’t consider that concealed enough for all environments. Social NPEs foe a single event where not many know you, sure. But environments with people you interact with on a daily basis, where there is a penalty for discovery, that’s something else. Sooner or later someone will notice and comment either to you or someone else. And who uses cell phone holsters today?

The gunfighter holster is great, but I consider it an untucked holster. Tucked can work sometimes, but for environments where concealment REALLY matters I don’t think you should even consider it. Jackets can help but you don’t always want one...and wearing one when it’s too hot is suspicious as well. I recommend the NPE holster (it sells with 550 cord but I use even thinner cord).

Up to you guys but I am not showing clips on my belt when I can avoid it.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

I know most people don’t pay attention. But some people do, and it’s more likely when you’re there every day. Especially where your paycheck is at stake, I would opt for more concealment than less.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

I have much to add to this thread, as someone who carries with a tucked shirt every day at work, in addition to going through security checkpoints with metal detectors. I will try and give my input this weekend. For now I will say: if there's a will, there's a way.
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend

TWOTU since 2016

Without giving too much away, i live in the rural southern part of va. So yea, guns and hunting will probably come up occasionally. During our intro courses they mentioned that one guy thats been there a few years takes the entire month of November off to hunt. The occasional gun/hunting related hat/shirt/jacket won't really spark much comment. I wore my meat eater podcast t shirt in the other day. Not word one.
    "It's not that life is too short, it's that death is so damn long." unknown
    "People s
    hould not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people" V
    "
    I must study politics and war, that my sons may have the liberty to study mathematics and philosophy, natural history and naval architecture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, tapestry, and porcelain." John Adams

If this is a real NPE, your job and livelihood -- and maybe you freedom, depending on local laws -- are on the line, then you might consider the following:

- Take your time before you start carrying and do some recon work around your new workplace. Look, listen and learn. Treat this as an operation. I mean, why not? Get the rhythm of things, learn all choke points, metal detectors, security cameras and personnel; who are the gabby guys and gals, the nosy Nellies, the suspicious Sams; who's screwing whom and where they do it; see who's pilfering or stealing, who's consistently coming in late and leaving early; who's the hothead and who's the weirdo. How the employees act and how the company deals with shenanigans is your first litmus test for things to come.

Test the waters if you can, by bringing up some story on the web about a guy who got carrying "an icky gun" at his job and how he got fired and see what the reaction is. Don't make a big deal of it, just be casual about it. Another good test is to pull out a Swiss knife to fix your lunch or to cut open a box and note the response of those around you. Observe and file all this away; it will let you know what kind of organization you're dealing with and how your new co-workers think.

- If this is a true NPE and the head shed and staff have an anti-weapons attitude, then keep your mouth shut about firearms, firearms knowledge, anything firearms related. Be indifferent and ignorant about firearms (and knives, too, dang it). You may think Billy Bob or Betty Boop is your friend, but if their situation is compromised, they'll rat you out every time. Sometimes out of principle (maybe they voted for Bernie), sometimes just to f@ck someone over for their own sense of fun and self-satisfaction.

If this cramps your style and you feel like less of a man and you're compelled to publicly identify yourself as a gun enthusiast, then you may as well look for another job. You'll be the first to get singled out and questioned at every opportunity. Life's too short to deal with that shite.

I was lucky in that my office had a welcoming carry policy. State law allowed carry in public buildings and the military commander and civilian executive director got with our attorneys and developed a policy that set the guidelines; hell, even the commander, the director and the JAG carried. For years this was legal and was the worst kept secret in our organization; after National Guard recruiting stations were hit by active shooters the policy was pushed for public exposure. We actually had signs that said "Employees and staff are authorized to carry concealed weapons," which was pretty awesome. Oddly enough, none of our recruiters or armories were ever targeted by a shooter.

Cautionary tale: One knucklehead fired his weapon on base, punching a hole in a toolbox and a vehicle. Claimed he was "cleaning it." He was summarily punished for violating the "keep it in your holster" rule, but he wasn't fired. Moral of the story: if you carry at work, keep it in your flippin' holster.

Back to your situation ....

- Dress appropriately, but dress for carrying concealed not for fashion. Not everyone wears t-shirts and jeans, and even if they do, that doesn't mean you have to. This doesn't mean wear 511 from head to toe. I haven't worn jeans since the late 1980s, partly out of rebellion 'cuz "everybody else was doin' it." After my truck driving job and college I went to khakis and never looked back. I never worn a t-shirt to an office job. I started out with dress shirts and ties, then as the American version of the Guayabera shirt (lookit up) became more popular I went that direction as often as possible. The options for casual button up short- and long-sleeve shirts are endless. Loose untucked polo shirts are also common in our neck of the woods.

Your situation may vary, but a properly designed loose shirt, especially plaids, give you all sorts of carry options. Loose, comfortable slacks (old people word for "pants") have plenty of pocket room and let you move, kick, fight and run. Nicely designed cargo pants like those offered by Duluth Trading Co. let you carry a tourniquet and all sorts of kit, even if you don't carry a firearm. My son wears plaid shirts and cargo pants and a pocket carries in a semi-NPE for years, keeps his stuff in its holster, keeps his mouth shut, never any questions, no problems. Ironically, he's tagged as part of the rapid response team in case of an emergency. Go figure.

- Seriously consider an appropriate NPE piece. This has been discussed ad infinitum, ad nauseam on this forum. It's gonna be hard hiding that G19 for seven and a half hours a day, not including lunch and two breaks, during one of which you gotta scratch that itch and you look up to see Nosy Nellie -- who wanted to know if you were eating HER blueberry Greek yogurt by mistake -- staring down where your shirttail is riding up over the grip and she starts freaking out. Or what about when your boss's snitch asks you to get that box off the top shelf and your cool t-shirt rides up and exposes something you'd rather not.

I like the titanium/scandium snubbies, but they're expensive and not for everyone. The last few years I carried a G43 IWB, but before that I pocket carried a lightweight snubbie. Sometimes, depending on weather, how I was dressed, etc. a second snubbie would be in my jacket. I always kept a G19 or G17 in my bag in a lockable desk drawer. As noted, Seecamps are great. I'm currently experimenting with an NAA PUG. My first impression is that it's better than nothing.

- Before you carry at work, give yourself a good look in the mirror, have a trusted friend or family member give you the once over and see what they think. Adjust accordingly. And practice accessing your piece, gun or knife. Over and over and over again. That is, if you're serious about it. ;)

- Finally, there was a similar discussion on Warrior Talk years ago -- I can't remember when and I'm too lazy to look it up -- where someone mentioned how he or an acquaintance had been outed for carrying by a co-worker. As I remember, the post discussed how there was a meeting and the supervisor confronted the accused and asked point blank if he was carrying. The accused simply denied the claim. And since the company in question had no legal provision for searching a suspect short of having him/her arrested for an actual crime, the supervisor said, "Well, I guess that's that." I don't know what your exact situation is or the laws that govern your community, but you might check into your company's right to search your body. Assume they can search your desk, of course, since it's company property.

There is lots of good advice and options presented in this thread. It warms my heart to see everyone so engaged; I also enjoy seeing what other people prepare for the worst. The odds are that you'll never need your firearm, but you wouldn't be here if you didn't believe in being prepared.

Good luck in your new career.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 01-31-2019 at 08:39 PM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

I'll be semi-contrarian and say that nothing about this job sounds like it would keep me from carrying my normal G19 and spare mag as usual.

Do you have to walk through metal detectors?
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I'll be semi-contrarian and say that nothing about this job sounds like it would keep me from carrying my normal G19 and spare mag as usual.
    Hell, sounds like I could carry MORE than my usual!
    ...Knowing is often a Barrier to Learning...

lol probably could carry just about anything to be honest but it's posted and i'd prefer not to get fired if it's at all avoidable so i'll err on the side of keeping things low key. That being said I've seen the UPS guy follow a couple employees through our keyswiped entrance to look for someone to sign for packages while the unarmed guard was doing rounds. I'm sticking to my favorite knife and flashlight for now but feel pretty confident i could pocket carry a small stubby or the like without any issue. May switch to button up shirts but that would be a slow process. Several of my friends, including the one that works there and recommended the job, know of my hatred of ties, polos, and anything button up from my previous job world. Would look a little out of character to suddenly start wearing them when i know i dont have to. I do regularly wear jeans or cargo pants(carhart style or similar not the 5.11 tuxedo)
    "It's not that life is too short, it's that death is so damn long." unknown
    "People s
    hould not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people" V
    "
    I must study politics and war, that my sons may have the liberty to study mathematics and philosophy, natural history and naval architecture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, tapestry, and porcelain." John Adams

For years I carried either a Jframe or PPK in either a pocket holster or a Thunderwear. Most of those years I wore suits and the jacket always came off in the office. A stockbroker in an agency down the street from my office was killed by a disgruntled customer who was in the witness protection program. The broker and his branch manager were taken out by a .357. I felt REAL good about carrying in the office. No one ever knew. If you don’t wear suits, then decent slacks - not “skinny” or tight fitting - would hide PPK, Kahrs, Jframe easily in a pocket holster. I still love pleated slacks. Perfect for Thunderwear.

Unclip the knife and put it IN the pocket. Better left totally unseen.
    Unless it's life threatening, ITS ALL BULLSHIT! - Fl Obiwan

When seconds count, help is just minutes away!

My NPE has 14 sworn officers on campus who are also all med certified, and they WILL be the first responders. Another thing to consider if you are in a similar situation is that if you ever have a medical emergency - you are toast. Hell - even regular paramedics have lockboxes for pistols and often report to LEOs & ER personnel. Word may get back to your boss.
    In my case, I'm so close to retirement it wouldn't matter if they canned me. For those who are at the other end of their career pipeline - another factor to enter in to the overall equation.

geezer john