Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I don't want anyone to misconstrue my intentions. This isn't about the lethality of .22lr or imply they should be a choice for fighting but rather what almost absurd things skill and practice can let you do.

Its along the same lines as me taking my bone stock 1022, holding it with one out stretched hand, with stock irons easily ringing a medium gong at 100 yards with crap ammo over and over again.

We shot .22lr on a cold windy winter day at 500 yards just to see if we could. I forget exactly what the chart said but it equated it to shooting a .308 at something like 1500 yards ballistically.

Its a skill trial. If trigger control, breathing, follow through and everything else aren't dialed then it won't work.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I don't want anyone to misconstrue my intentions. This isn't about the lethality of .22lr or imply they should be a choice for fighting but rather what almost absurd things skill and practice can let you do.

Its along the same lines as me taking my bone stock 1022, holding it with one out stretched hand, with stock irons easily ringing a medium gong at 100 yards with crap ammo over and over again.

We shot .22lr on a cold windy winter day at 500 yards just to see if we could. I forget exactly what the chart said but it equated it to shooting a .308 at something like 1500 yards ballistically.

Its a skill trial. If trigger control, breathing, follow through and everything else aren't dialed then it won't work.

One of the very neat things about shooting a .22 at long distance is the fact that if the sun is at 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock you can watch the long arcing flight path of the bullet.

Choirboy

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post

Like when we took my buddy to the range--he had only shot pistols (to my knowledge) once before, but takes instruction very well and is really coordinated. After he shot a bunch of GREAT groups at close range we backed him up to 100 yards with the steel silhouette and said "People will tell you that you can't shoot a pistol out past like 20 yards. Just do the exact same fundamentals you've been doing." He was banging steel with absurd regularity, with three different pistols.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Back about 1984 or 1985, my wife saw a Freedom Arms mini revolver and fell in love. Being newly married and willing to make her happy any way I could, I bought her one. She practiced for hours with that thing on a set of .22 handgun silhouettes I had. By the end of that summer she could ring the 75 yard turkey about 75% depending on wind. For those who have never seen them, the turkey is about the size of a Bantam rooster. Her only complaint was that she couldn't knock them over dependably. That was when I had to explain that maybe she wasn't getting the full velocity from a one inch barrel. No, she didn't keep in practice and long range work with that gun is a very perishable skill.

I recall a video of guys playing with the laser range finder scopes (Bushnell I think), that ranges then adjusts the drop. They were hitting the bottom of a soda can at 300m. That's about a 2 1/2" circle. So we know it can be done with technology; and now we know it can be done even further by guys with skills and no techno wizardry.