Thread: A sore thumb.

Default A sore thumb.

Greetings,

Iíve found myself in southern Mindanao for the first time and itís brought to mind a situation that I have been previously unfamiliar with: I stick out like a sore thumb and get stared at constantly. Some of it is friendly curiosity, but not all of it. This hasnít been the case in other countries and Iím wondering if I can pick the collective brain of the group. Iím a foot taller than everyone, white, and I havenít seen another expat in three days. My grasp of the language is basic. How do you apply the gray man concept when you are in this position?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJames View Post
    Greetings,

I’ve found myself in southern Mindanao for the first time and it’s brought to mind a situation that I have been previously unfamiliar with: I stick out like a sore thumb and get stared at constantly. Some of it is friendly curiosity, but not all of it. This hasn’t been the case in other countries and I’m wondering if I can pick the collective brain of the group. I’m a foot taller than everyone, white, and I haven’t seen another expat in three days. My grasp of the language is basic. How do you apply the gray man concept when you are in this position?
    Bro, I realize that this is not the sage advice that you were looking for, but I remembered the first 10 second clip and searched for it. The rest of the cut was too good not to post.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...1D&FORM=VDQVAP

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJames View Post
    Greetings,

I’ve found myself in southern Mindanao for the first time and it’s brought to mind a situation that I have been previously unfamiliar with: I stick out like a sore thumb and get stared at constantly. Some of it is friendly curiosity, but not all of it. This hasn’t been the case in other countries and I’m wondering if I can pick the collective brain of the group. I’m a foot taller than everyone, white, and I haven’t seen another expat in three days. My grasp of the language is basic. How do you apply the gray man concept when you are in this position?
    Dude, I've been to the Southern PI a couple times and although I loved most of the people I met,
    there is a serious Muslim insurgency in that are and you are not safe. Unless you there on .gov business, I would suggest you GTFO ASAP. You are not safe.
    ďEvery day the same thing...varietyĒ

Quote Originally Posted by AFSOCCRNA View Post
    Dude, I've been to the Southern PI a couple times and although I loved most of the people I met,
    there is a serious Muslim insurgency in that are and you are not safe. Unless you there on .gov business, I would suggest you GTFO ASAP. You are not safe.
    Exactly! There is no way your are going to blend in. Even if you are not on .gov business, half of the population probably thinks you are, and that is NOT good for you.