Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The EDC Silencer

The lucky adventures of the SAS gunman in Nairobi got my brain turning on the possibility of carrying a silencer as part of the EDC kit. I do not think this is particularly realistic. I usually carry one pistol and one spare magazine. If I were going to add another slot to my kit, it would normally be a second spare mag. But I want to work through the issues in order to make an informed decision, even though I’m 95% sure that I won’t be carrying a silencer as part of my EDC kit. These are the issues I see right away. Please add counterpoints, and also anything that I’ve left out.

Paperwork. At least in my AO, the burden of proof is on me to show that I lawfully possess any NFA item. This means that if I’m asked, I need to be able to produce a copy of the tax stamp document. For my SBRs, I print a reduced copy, laminate it, and stuff it somewhere in the gun (grip, stock, wherever there is a compartment). I also keep scanned copies in my phone. Because silencers lack a compartment to store any paperwork, I keep copies of those documents in my range bag. If I were carrying a can EDC, I would probably just stuff a copy in the glove box of my truck. But you could also make a reduced, laminated copy and stick it in your wallet, if that made you feel better.

Holster. Plenty of people make nylon pouches for cans, but I’m not aware of any holsters. Kydex being what it is today, it would be easy enough to have one custom made. The silencer is a very proactive tool, so it doesn’t necessarily need to be positioned right on the waistline. I think a more secure holster would be better, even if it is a little bit slower. Some kind of retention device would be desirable. For a small can, ankle carry might work.

Bags. The easiest solution to carrying one would be a bag. Anytime that I was carrying a bag, I would opt to put the can in it. (Unless it’s a location that conducts bag checks. Then you need to remember to pull it out first.) But I don’t carry a bag very often. I have a court bag that I never put weapons into, because I don’t want to forget and cause a scene at the courthouse. Other than that work bag, I only occasionally take a bag or backpack when venturing out to the mall or similar environs. If you had a bag, pretty much any bag would do. It would be advisable, though, to use some kind of internal pouch to protect the can, prevent debris from getting to it, and to keep it in the same position.

Theft. I’ve met a lot of people who seem to think that having an NFA item stolen is some kind of extra horrendous event. They think that they will be in trouble for failing to secure the item. That’s just not true. Having a machine gun stolen is the same as having any gun stolen. It just costs more to replace and takes a long, long time. Clearly you don’t want to have your silencer stolen, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world. Just be reasonably responsible about where you leave it.

Attachment. Unlike rifles, quick-detach isn’t generally an option for pistol cans. And attaching a direct-thread can in the midst of a terrorist attack sounds like an ideal time for cross-threading. I generally pride myself on being cool under pressure, but that task sounds like trouble. A QD device of some type would be a good thing. I have only used an HK 3-lug on a couple of occasions, but that seems like it would work. I suspect there is a 1/2x28-to-3-lug adapter in the market somewhere.

Size. Smaller and lighter is better. The Gemtech Aurora is very small and light, but only allows for shooting ball ammo. If you keep the can light enough, you can forego a Nielsen device. An oblong can, like the Osprey, would allow for greater volume without getting too thick, and would carry better if stuck on the belt. I normally care more about keeping a can short, and I’m willing for it to be a little thicker. But for EDC, thinness is a priority, and it wouldn’t really be more difficult to carry a 6” can than a 4.5” can.

Not Defensive. If you mount a can and then kill a dozen terrorists, that’s fine. If you mount a can and then kill a guy who is trying to rob you at the gas station, it’s a problem. It is not a defensive tool. You have to tool up in preparation for a fight. Odds are about a million times greater that I’ll face a robber or two and not a squad of Islamist soldiers. If you reach for this tool at the wrong time, it conveys the message that you could have avoided the fight and that you didn’t really need to shoot anybody to defend yourself.

You’ll lose the can. I really don’t care about this. Buy more cans. People whine about the fact that if they use a gun to defend their family that they’ll lose the gun to an evidence locker. Yes, it sucks. But it’s the way things are done. Accept that it’s just the cost of doing business.

You’ll look like a bad guy. There are circumstances in which I would pick up the dead bad guy’s AK-47 and use it to kill his friends, but I know that doing so places me in danger of being misidentified by responding cops. How are responding cops going to view a guy with a silenced pistol? I suspect the same assumptions would be made.

At the moment, I have no plans to begin carrying a can. But I am interested in the intellectual exercise of figuring out the best way to do it. What other issues do you guys see?
    Last edited by LawDog; 01-24-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    Virtute et Armis

Couple of quick points while I'm working. 1) Is that for the space and weight I'd add another mag or something else over a can. 2) I know of some people that keep them on a braced, PDW Glock, which resides in a laptop case or something like that. I can see that as an application, one that I don't participate in, but would be more applicable than wearing one on a belt as an EDC weapon.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Will adding a can change the zero?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambotito View Post
    Will adding a can change the zero?
    Normally yes.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

LawDog,

I think you do a pretty good job of pointing out the inherent flaws in the idea.

You can carry a can as easily as a flashlight. There are cans that are that small. My Abraxas is a wet can and as compact as a Surefire 6P.

Issues - Only two operationally

You need to put it on...which takes time
    Difficult to holster quickly with it on

I think the rifle will be far evident and visible than a can. Losing it? I would willingly give it away for the privilige of dumping a half dozen tangoes is crypt-like silence.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Does anyone make an intergally suppressed Glock? Something like that seems like it could be a more compact/advantageous set up in some aspects.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

I understand the attraction of using the can. I've thought on that myself. The idea has great appeal, but the complications were ... are ... well, complicated.

To get the same effect, why not keep a pair of nice set of electronic earpro plugs? No I don't mean stop the confrontation and stick'em in, but if you're going into an active shooter situation or there's a pause and you're in defilade (concealed and covered) and have the opportunity, why not? Not only would you have protection, but the amplification could be an asset in a firefight. I don't have any plugs, but my muffs do a pretty good job of boosting what I need to hear and blocking out what I don't.

There's a great scene in Freebie and The Bean where the cops pause to put in earplugs -- and share some chewing gum -- before trying arrest a guy they know is gonna go down shootin'.

Huh. I haven't seen that movie in thirty some years. Just noticed that they arm up in appendix carry. Imagine that. It was a pretty crazy cop film, as I remember.

Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

The main appeal is to help avoid detection by the bad guys.

More comfort for the ears is nice but that’s a side benefit, not the primary goal here.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Close Range Gunfighting 3, Oregon
    Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    Does anyone make an intergally suppressed Glock? Something like that seems like it could be a more compact/advantageous set up in some aspects.

I don't know but it would be worth looking at.
    “Every day the same thing...variety”