Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think with today’s low power variable optics, it does away with the abortions like the HK setup above. And I personally can’t stand offset sights. A 1-6-8 power optic will give you sufficient magnification at the ranges you would employ a DMR. And if you had to enter a structure, you can crank down the power and use it like a red dot. Technology is a wonderful thing. Those HK setups are going the way of the dinosaur.

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    I thought it seemed odd too, OTOH my miltary experience is from the last century, I cant say for others. This set up was apparently approved by HK as well as both the German and the US militaries (amongst others), so Im assuming a few real operators got their hands on it even though swamped by bean counters. Its supposed to be a DRM vs actual sniper rifle, so I can see the potential for CQB incidents>but ultimately that's why Im seeking opinions here.

The pic in post number 6 is a fanboy clone and after struggling through about 100 jerkoffs saying wonderful things about clones, I did find references to ceracoating; but since I only posted for the "wired" on red dot I thought it was worth the paint scheme issues
    This is why I use a 1-4/6/8 optics for DMR, I've tried 3-9 but didn't like it for close engagements. I like Gabe don't run 45* or RMRs on DMRs because I think in the Envelope\Role\Niche process when selecting platforms and add-ons.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

YEP that's why there are TWO versions, one with a 1-8x which they call the "Patrol" model and one with a 3-20x called the "Standard" (DMR). Only the 3-20x has the Red Dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    That rifle has my OCD twitching. It's like 17 different shades of FDE and brown..... It's hideous
    You know you want it.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 5, 14. And a wakeup.

When I was once reading the long-range guys' conversations, it was mentioned that the little RMR-type offset 45 degrees was really useful for getting your high-powered scope quickly pointed in the right area of the target. It kinda made sense to me--this wasn't about CQB or anything like that, just about how to find the target quickly when your FOV was narrow on your main scope.

Quote Originally Posted by mike135 View Post
    When I was once reading the long-range guys' conversations, it was mentioned that the little RMR-type offset 45 degrees was really useful for getting your high-powered scope quickly pointed in the right area of the target. It kinda made sense to me--this wasn't about CQB or anything like that, just about how to find the target quickly when your FOV was narrow on your main scope.
    I can kind of see that but can do the same thing by adjusting the magnification down and the RMR would be zeroed at a far different distance than the magnified optic. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

I don’t know about red dots, and I’m sure there’s a difference, but the CT team sniper and DMR rifles I see at UASI and Federal team levels all have RMRs on 45 degree offset in Larue Tactical mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanNobody View Post
    I don’t know about red dots, and I’m sure there’s a difference, but the CT team sniper and DMR rifles I see at UASI and Federal team levels all have RMRs on 45 degree offset in Larue Tactical mounts.
    I've seen it a lot in use and I know lots of groups that run them this way and understand the concept but I don't have the time running that set up to have a real understanding from personal experience to know if it is something I'd consider.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I can kind of see that but can do the same thing by adjusting the magnification down and the RMR would be zeroed at a far different distance than the magnified optic. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze
    Yeah, I'm thinking it's more of a dedicated sniper thing than for a DMR setup. Especially if you're using a serious scope that has a pretty high bottom end of the magnification range.

Default UASI DMR 5.56mm

Here's a photo of the optic on a current UASI DMR in 5.56mm. I can't speak to it being good or bad and will leave that to Gabe and Greg, but I can speak to this set up being in current use and this particular rifle has had considerable use and results with both optic systems. For what's it is worth here's the photo:

UASI DMR.jpg
    Last edited by JonathanNobody; 01-23-2019 at 11:24 AM.