Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default RED DOT on a Precision Rifle

Ive looking at various "modern" sniper rifles and see some with off set (45 degree) iron sights and some with Red Dots mounted on top of the primary magnified optic. I guess I see the virtue of close range sights; but Im still wondering. I thought about passing on the idea when most of the pics I saw, looked more 3 gun, than real world until I stumbled onto the HK G28.
    HK G28.png
    Part of me thinks if HK added it then maybe its not a bad idea? The HK Red Dot looks similar to a Aimpoint H1/Ti in a shielded mount

Ive seen RMRs on ACOGs, and thought Mehhh; but with a primary optic in the 10x plus range something like a red dot seems good. Or is going to a handgun a better idea at CQB ranges?

This is a subject I have an interest in and I would appreciate reading how some think best for a sighting system that deals with both long and short ranges. Short ranges are most important for me since most engagements occur at short ranges and the closer a foe is to you, the more dangerous they are in most circumstances.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 01-23-2019 at 08:23 AM. Reason: typo

Turns out it IS a Aimpoint T1

https://www.ammoland.com/2012/01/hk-...#axzz5dRNdLUs1

HK-G28-Marksman-Rifles.jpg

So the G28 is a DMR weapon as opposed to a true Sniper rifle. Its 308 and has a 16" barrel (which seems a little short for 308); but has the advantage of looking like the rest of the M4 style patrol rifles to a casual/quick observation, especially with the 1-8x scope.

I think that it would make sense on a 16”, not overly heavy rifle. If mission dictates primarily long shots and you want a 3-9 scope but the possibility of clearing a room exists this could come in handy. The one on top of the scope seems far more useful than the offset. Mostly because it would be ambidextrous and a more natural way to hold the rifle.

On a 20”, heavy barreled gun I think I’d accept switching to pistol as my close range option.

I believe a while back JonathanNobody talked about an offset RMR on his DMR but I can’t immediately find the thread where it was discussed and it’s value debated.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

IMHO placing the red dot on top of the primary (longer range) magnified optic puts it way too high above the bore line. As a former SWAT Sniper, for certain missions we used scoped AR's with RMR's in an offset mount. I carried an LWRC M6 in 6.8mm SPC with a Leupold 3.5-10. I used an offset mount which put my RMR on the scope between the turrets on the left side as I am left handed. With a 15 yd zero on the RMR and a slight cant to the right I had close range capability. This "dual purpose" setup allowed me to assist in room clearing operations if more bodies were needed inside. I later installed a Warne R.A.M.P. mount which put the RMR closer to the rifle/bore line. I preferred the R.A.M. P. mount which worked better for me. The only drawback to this was limiting use of the RMR to lefty's.
    Last edited by Michael L; 01-23-2019 at 08:18 AM.

This pic is interesting. Its a clone from one of the HK FanBoyz, so I take it to be crazy correct as Ive seen these guys want to swop parts so all the date codes match....

HK G28 Aimpoint mount.jpg
    NOTE the Aimpoint wired to the primary optic. Ive seen M203s "wired" onto M16s but never optics. Also the "Round Count!" reminder on the upper receiver.

I could understand the 45* offset RMR but not the monstrosity above. That's overkill and it's vertical profile is insanely high which will yield a heavy and unbalanced rifle. My biggest problem with the 45* offset is that it is only useful for firing from your strong side and us unusable from your support side, it's like having half of a solution and really makes me feel that you are outside the weapon's Envelope\Role\Niche and should be using something else. As far as going to pistol, if I had a bolt gun, I'd absolutely go to pistol. With a semi-auto rifle I'd use it and point shoot.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

That rifle has my OCD twitching. It's like 17 different shades of FDE and brown..... It's hideous
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I was a SWT Sniper and none of my DMR rifles have any red dots. JMO.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I thought it seemed odd too, OTOH my miltary experience is from the last century, I cant say for others. This set up was apparently approved by HK as well as both the German and the US militaries (amongst others), so Im assuming a few real operators got their hands on it even though swamped by bean counters. Its supposed to be a DRM vs actual sniper rifle, so I can see the potential for CQB incidents>but ultimately that's why Im seeking opinions here.

The pic in post number 6 is a fanboy clone and after struggling through about 100 jerkoffs saying wonderful things about clones, I did find references to ceracoating; but since I only posted for the "wired" on red dot I thought it was worth the paint scheme issues