Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Runnerís GPS Watch Ratted Him Out

This Runner Is a Hitman. His GPS Watch Tied Him to a Mob Boss Murder.

The health-conscious assassin was picked up for another murder, then investigators found his Garmin.

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a2...hitman-murder/

Gist: ethics/morals aside, beware what is monitoring you. Donít ignore/avoid tech. Just figure out how to bend it to your will.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD

DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

T
    WOTU Since 2012

Our smart devices, including our phones are
    nothing more than tracking devices, that allow
    us to make phone calls. APPs, just augment it.
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

Going dark beats tech unless you leave a black hole. Folks that don't have a signal, scream "look at me" too.

The greater problem, from our perspective, is that avoiding the trackers requires forward thinking. If you are a hit-man, you can plan the hit and leave your phone/watch/whatever behind. If you are acting in defense, but decide that you'd rather not stick around, you won't have had the foresight to leave your digital devices behind. It's a serious complication for shoot-and-scoot scenarios.

As is true in other areas of an investigation, the trick is to never become a suspect. If you land under the microscope, you're probably done.

If you are not individually identified and recognized as a suspect for some other reason, the odds of being discovered solely because of your digital signature is low. In very desolate areas, it is somewhat higher. In populated areas, the odds become astronomically low. A couple of years ago, I handled a shooting in which the digital evidence featured significantly in the investigation. In that case, with little else to go on (at first) the police were able to make good use of the digital evidence at hand. But it was a sparsely populated part of Alaska, in the middle of the night, with one cell tower serving the area, and a tight timeline on the crime. Even with that as background, they had several hundred users to sort through, and they never would have gotten anywhere if it hadn't been for some very explicit text messages (the absolute worst opsec you could possibly imagine). Location data alone is highly unlikely to be the thing that destroys you. To be effective, it has to tie to something else.

Yet again, my advice returns to the value of silence. If investigators appear on your doorstep asking, "Hey, we're investigating a shooting near 4th and Main two days ago. Were you anywhere in the area around 11 p.m.?" That means they already know you were in the area. You can attempt to fabricate some intricate lie to explain your presence, without admitting that you shot two guys who tried to rob you, but I can virtually guarantee that your lies will fall apart. It is certainly suspicious to say, "I have nothing to say to you. Go away." But it's still better than getting wrapped up in a lie. If you lie--and they will catch you in your lie--you destroy your ability to later argue self-defense because no one on a jury will believe anything you say.
    Virtute et Armis

"I'm afraid I can't help you. Have a nice day."
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 2, 16. And a wakeup.

Look at the knuckles on his right hand, he did more then just run...

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    "I'm afraid I can't help you. Have a nice day."
    Thatís better articulation.
    Virtute et Armis

If you are going to go commit a crime, leave all technology behind.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I'm fascinated by the theoretical project of what you would have to do to structure your life as if you were a top-tier criminal who had no intention of getting caught so he can enjoy his ill-gotten loot.

The reason I and all of you should at least be educated about such things in simple terms is that you can't take it back once it's out there. In other words, the masses of sheep thing "I'm not doing anything wrong, why should I care about all that privacy/security stuff?" But I could easily envision many scenarios where something happens and you suddenly wish that all that data wasn't out there somewhere for somebody to review if they wanted to. It certainly doesn't have to involve a crime. But at that point it's too late--you can't scrub it after-the-fact. All you can do is take a defensive posture in advance "just in case".

It doesn't matter if you're talking about a tyrannical communist government of the future, a law enforcement agency, a private investigator, a malicious hacker type, somebody who wishes you harm, or just some kid screwing around for his own amusement. It all comes back to data.

I don't know if anybody posted the story here, but did you know that for a small fee people like bounty hunters can locate your phone with nothing but your phone number and no other approval/authorization process?

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...zumigo-tmobile

Of course the phone companies are saying they will shut it down now that they are exposed and everybody is outraged, but that's the kind of exposure that most people are completely oblivious to--the only protection would be a proactively defensive strategy. Not that long ago there was actually a web site where you could just enter a phone number and get the location!

Where I live, if you update the address on your voter registration it will show up on a public web site within a few weeks, as well as all the previous addresses from your voter ID. My state sells my personal data from my driver's license, vehicle registration, etc. I could go on and on but I hope you get the point.

This is the kind of phone I'm looking forward to being available soon:

https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

We were just looking for a cheap heart rate monitor watch that didn’t transmit anything. Just optical HR monitoring, no wireless anything. It’s proving difficult to find.

I’d consider a relatively smart truly standalone watch that had some HR tracking/charting onboard, but I am seriously doubting such a thing exists.