Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR Set Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    I got used to the set trigger on bolt action hunting rifles. I use the "normal" trigger for routine shots, even unexpected "snap shots"; but the set feature for more precise shots, when I could take a better rested shot.

In this case, Im building a modern version of a PSG1 on a AR10, so call it a PSG2000. Ill be using it to hunt, mostly from a blind (as I expect it to be F-ing heavy); but Im also thinking of it for PRS matches. For me the first shot is the most important shot of each stage. Getting a first shot hit is more important than a faster miss. After the first shot Ill use the normal trigger for the rest of the stage.
    You would have to train to get use to the change in pull wts. For hunting from a blind a bolt gun is fine, the PRS is of course different from the requirements of a hunter in a blind.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    You would have to train to get use to the change in pull wts. For hunting from a blind a bolt gun is fine, the PRS is of course different from the requirements of a hunter in a blind.
    I disagree; but lets say youre correct. Ive been using set triggers for 30 years. Its not a big deal, no worse that using a DA/SA trigger. You only use the "set" when you choose to activate it.

For hunting, sure a bolt gun is fine; but so is a auto loader, and so is a single shot. The shooting part of PRS isn't different from any other shooting. Its a timed event; but its about finding the target in the scope and hitting the target. As for PRS and blind hunting, PRS is actually quite similar; both involve shooting from a rested position and in both cases accurate (first) shots matter.