Thumbs up more CCW progress in California in 2018

Another year and more CCW progress in CA. On Jan 1st, a new sheriff took office in Riverside Co who campaigned on accepting merely "self defense" as a sufficient Good Cause requirement. That moved Riverside Co from light green to dark green on the CA CCW GC map.

In Sonoma Co, 1 of the 9 SF Bay Area counties, new sheriff Mark Essick has said he'll liberalize CCW issuance like neighboring counties, so that moves Sonoma Co from light red to light green.

Yolo Co, that island of light red in a sea of green in NorCal, has said he'll maintain current policy but wants to hear from the community to decide, so it remains light red for now.

San Luis Obispo Co reverts back to yellow from light green due to the sheriff requiring city applicants to go through their city's PD first. Plus, they, like Napa Co SO, have always been on the border between light green and yellow, so while this is a change in color, it's not really a change in practice.

ETA: In Los Angeles Co, new sheriff Alex Villenueve promised to issue more CCWs, but not accept "self defense" as sufficient Good Cause, so we conservatively changed it to light red from dark red.

All in all, slow, steady progress with no real losses. There are fewer and fewer non-green counties. Hopefully, by 2019 Dec 31 we'll break 120,000 CCWers in the state for another record.

So, until SCOTUS declares we have a Right to Bear Arms (openly? concealed? either?), we, behind the enemy lines in CA, continue the fight, county-by-county.

Last edited by paladin4christ; 01-12-2019 at 01:32 PM.
    "Diversity" causes civil wars.

NRA Benefactor Life Member; NRA-ILA

To quote jack Nicholson (The Joker) - "Wait till they get a load of me"
    JEC5ARF5SUI6RN6SA5Z2UHRT3I.jpg
    Sanctuary for all! Come on in!

Quote Originally Posted by Joatmon View Post
    To quote jack Nicholson (The Joker) - "Wait till they get a load of me"
    JEC5ARF5SUI6RN6SA5Z2UHRT3I.jpg
    Sanctuary for all! Come on in!
    I don't get the relevance of this post to the thread's topic. But, whatever....

You don't know who Gavin Newsome is? or you don't understand that he is monumentally more dangerous than moonbeam brown to kommiefornia's ccw/2A population?

Whatever "progress" has been made is sure to come tumbling down in the next 4 years of this "joker". brown didn't sign EVERYTHING, I can't imagine this asshat letting ANY anti gun bill to slip through. I am no psychic, but I will be out of this "sanctuary" before Halloween.
    Last edited by Joatmon; 01-13-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Newsome will probably push for a gun confiscation bill in the near future.
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Joatmon View Post
    You don't know who Gavin Newsome is? or you don't understand that he is monumentally more dangerous than moonbeam brown to kommiefornia's ccw/2A population?

Whatever "progress" has been made is sure to come tumbling down in the next 4 years of this "joker". brown didn't sign EVERYTHING, I can't imagine this asshat letting ANY anti gun bill to slip through. I am no psychic, but I will be out of this "sanctuary" before Halloween.
    I see now. Your topic is the possible impact of Gov Newsome on 2nd A rights in general in CA. Not the topic of this thread (current state of CCW issuance in CA), but I'll entertain it for a moment.

We're counting on SCOTUS to stop most of the anti bills in this state. There are a number of cases in various stages in the federal courts. Pena, challenging the roster, filed for cert in December. Rogers, a Carry Case, filed for cert in Dec. Gould, which should also establish a Right to Bear Arms, has until April 1st to file for cert. Young and Nichols are also Carry Cases in the pipeline. Duncan, challenging CA's hicap ban (which it has enjoined for now), may go to SCOTUS after CA9. You can look around CalGuns.Net for more details. I won't post a link because I'm not sure if that is bad form on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
    Newsome will probably push for a gun confiscation bill in the near future.
    Ruth Bader Ginsburg isn't getting any younger, and Sotomayor's Type I diabetes is catching up with her, so time should be on our side. A Trump dominated SCOTUS will quickly and decisively quash any confiscation schemes....
    Last edited by paladin4christ; 01-13-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paladin4christ View Post
    A Trump dominated SCOTUS will quickly and decisively quash any confiscation schemes....
    The time seems certainly prime for it. It's now (soon) or never, really. Part of me is excited by the prospect of CA getting the ultimate, and repeated, smackdown at the Federal level. I hope they lose over and over, and that it kills their spirit and stops the endless firehose of anti-2A legislation for years to come.

But I am not getting my hopes up. The CA commie roots run deep, and Washington moves slowly. In the meantime, my pirate flag shall continue to be hoisted! I may have even seen a few pirate flags around here lately...

I know Sheriff Essick, went to high school with him. Really good guy. I believe he will do whatever he can to make Sonoma County a CCW-friendly county. We will see what kind of push-back he gets from the county/city governments and local police chiefs.

I also have some personal experience with the other guy pictured. He is the likely the most dangerous person in CA history when it comes to the 2nd Amendment. He has already said he will sign anything that comes across his desk that “makes CA safer from gun violence.”

My only hope as a resident of CA (other than my retired LEO credentials) is the CRPA and Cal-Gun and all the lawsuits they are bringing to SCOTUS, against what has already been passed here. It they are successful on what they have already filed, it will be a major victory.

We shall see.
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

I should mention that none of those pro 2nd A cases will be heard this session. SCOTUS will decide whether to take them or not this session (i.e., before July), but they won't be argued in Court until after 2019 Oct 01. We expect to win a Right to Bear Arms for ALL the US sometime between 2020 April 01 and 2021 July 01, depending upon which case/s they take or deny. That's fine, it gives Ginsburg more time to leave the Court....

Remember: NO ONE in the entire USA is carrying right now because of the 2nd A. You're carrying because your state allows you to after getting a state permit under state law. Or you're carrying because your state has decided not to regulate by statute carry by qualified individuals (so-called "Constitutional Carry"). At best you're carrying because your state constitution states and your state courts have interpreted it to carry (openly and/or concealed) without a permit (like VT). But again: that is not exercising your 2nd Amendment Right to Bear Arms under the federal Constitution. That's the precedent we've been trying to establish now ever since Heller in 2008....

ETA: If the voters in your state turn "blue" (as VA, FL and TX are close to doing), and elect anti politicians who appoint anti judges, you could very quickly find yourselves in the same boat as CA is now....
    Last edited by paladin4christ; 01-13-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Innocenti View Post
    I know Sheriff Essick, went to high school with him. Really good guy. I believe he will do whatever he can to make Sonoma County a CCW-friendly county. We will see what kind of push-back he gets from the county/city governments and local police chiefs.
    If you still know him (Facebook?), suggest to him that he rescind the Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) a previous sheriff put in place with city chiefs that say the sheriff will NOT issue CCWs to city residents, they have to apply through their chiefs. The chiefs are antis and over 1/2 the county population lives in those cities. Suggest he go back to the old way of having city residents first apply through their chiefs and then if they are denied they can try with the sheriff, or just allow them to apply directly with the sheriff.

Of course, suggesting this would require an extremely tactful approach....
    Last edited by paladin4christ; 01-13-2019 at 09:17 PM.