Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sometimes training time you think is wasted really isn’t wasted.

A big turn for instance takes the same skill as a small turn. You work the same muscles, and it requires even more balance and body control. If you can do big turns well, small turns are easy, they are just a contracted version. And another thought, those big turns might be something completely different than what you thought (a throw rather than an avoidance for instance).

As for jumping over a sword...hahahahahahahahahaha. That’s an example of someone who knows nothing about application tries to come up with an answer. There’s a reason that interpretation is so prevalent, and it’s not because it works. :) I do not recommend trying it with a swordsman.

This is why we always have to THINK about what we are taught. Does it make sense or not? If not, what does? The movements in the kata are all there for a good reason. It’s ok if we don’t know the reason, because there is so much to know. But at least we can eliminate interpretations that are patently foolish.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Hi Brent

The training challenge I have is that guys will simply force me to turn, wait for my hands to drop and then attack the opening I just left. Younger students will run around me in circles, not attacking at all until they had created a Line of Attack that is impossible for me to defend. Making their attacks unrealistic.

Although the attacks are unrealistic it is a template of how I will be attacked I believe. Facing more experienced fighters, who`s attacks are more realistic I find the also continue to circle left, creating that Angle o Attack. Being smart enough to stay out of range of my Blades.

So when training/fighting I need to try and keep a Blade on my attacker at all times, having at least one arm up protecting my Centre-Line. I solved this by fighting with two Blades-Sword and Dagger Style.

I am still working on protecting my turning movement. Unlike with wheelchair sports like Basketball and Tennis I cannot turn sharply using a single pullback with the same side arm. Taking advantage of the forward momentum created by chasing after the ball. Instead their will be times in the fight where I have to come to a complete stop. Then having to turn left from a static start when the attacker suddenly jumps left.

What I have being working on
    a.Using two movements with the opposite arm to effect the turn-Left Turn-To small push downs with the right arm. While keeping the Left Blade up. NOTE Another interesting challenge is the turn radius of the to small front wheels. Never coming to a stop in exactly the same position after every turn. By using two movements I anticipate having to execute a bigger turn, the front wheels facing in the wrong direction. I also line the wheels up in more or less a straight line by using the two small turns. Effecting the consecutive turns I have to make.

b. I start making the turn, hiding it in small movements when the attacker starts to move past my Centre-Line, still able to cover him with my Right Blade, anticipating the sudden jump to my left. If I then have to turn left I can execute a bigger turn and I have made his Angle of Attack smaller.

c. I have started to employ the same side hip-in the direction you are turning-and the muscles of a strong Reverse Punch, placing my body-weight behind the first Slash,
    not relying on the muscles of only one arm.

In Tenshinkan I had instructors with real world experience which they were able to share with me. They also had a open mind when it came to the use of weapons. Getting my started with basic Knive Skills and introducing me to Double Stick Work. They allowed me to add weapons to my Karate training. Questioning my on Double Stick Technique as port of my 2 Dan Grading. On the other hand they could not make changes to the Kata Bunka`s if they wanted their students to Grade. Those techniques and how to apply them still being handed down straight from Japan. Where the focus is on developing 'strong Karate'and where the don`t have to concern themselves with violent crime. Unlike their students based in South Africa.

OSSU
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

I put A LOT of value on movement. But sometimes movement isn't possible for whatever reason. A wheel chair is definitely a good reason. Sometimes stand and deliver is the best answer (or sit and deliver in this case).

If you have the opportunity to get some Jujutsu training I think it would be valuable. That may be easier said than done and not all instructors can work with every disability. But at hands-on ranges, there are valuable skill sets to learn and you'll get a different perspective than what you get in Karate.

Also, seems to me that the opportunity to get knocked over is real...again Jujutsu might give you some good answers.

Just some ideas. I haven't worked with wheelchair issues.

My first choice in that scenario would be a shorty 12 guage like the Remington MCS.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Wheel...if I may add.

As much as I am sure you despise the word, a handicapped individual is in a constant disparity of force situation. Any assault on you can be met with deadly force.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Wheel...if I may add.

As much as I am sure you despise the word, a handicapped individual is in a constant disparity of force situation. Any assault on you can be met with deadly force.
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    So many of the walking/moving methods may not apply directly to other surfaces. I like training outside the dojo, in the dirt, on concrete and specially with shoes. Things still work the same but the sense of them is different.
    Sense...and relative importance. When I was teaching epee fencing, I made a point of having the students fence on grass sometimes. Old School Epee. It's a far slicker footing, and techniques that rely on fast and powerful footwork will have you slipping and sliding. A fencer with solid bladework will prevail.

Hi Cabe

I read a post a couple of years ago by Crafty on the poer of words. I remember his example vividly saying that he never uses words like his strong/weak hand/side. Instead he simply talks about right or left.That if you call or think about your left side as your weak side it will stay that way no matter how much training you do.Your words and thinking having convinced you of this.

At some point in my training I started to spin my wheels not able to make any progress, no matter how hard I worked and even started going backwards. Looking for a solution I then recalled what I read and started to listen closely to my internal dialog, testing what I had being telling myself and started to change my thinking.

Realizing that if I called myself a disabled Karateka/Martial Artist-I will always have that as an excuse to settle for less than being in the best shape possible-for me-that I can and to give up on my goal/dream of being a 100 percent effective defending myself against a fully resisting attacker. So from that point on I started to think of myself simply as a Martial Artist-Now using the word Martial Fighter.

But saying all this Cabe I will use the handicapped card to my advantage to give me an edge in the fight-Going to my Blades earlier in the fight and articulating my words and actions After the Last Bang.

Brent thank you for your idea on using Jujutsu techniques for close work. Before this my only thoughts were to start using grappling techniques only once I ended upon the ground. I will definitely test idea if I get an opportunity to train in Jutjutsu.

Their is a gentleman on Youtube that has a bunch of grappling clips up. I think Not-me.org is the name of the channel. I have rolled with some grapplers but could not apply his techniques successfully.Not having the reach of his long arm in the first place I think I was also not able to sink the Arm-bars in so deep and tight in one quick motion preventing my attacker from escaping and having then collapse in pain. Instead I would have to fight them of in the first place, preventing them from executing their own Chokes/Arm-bars and they would try and escape my hold the moment they felt my arm starting to close around theirs.

I use a knive on the ground. It was something demostrated to me by Mark Human.

You lie on your side resting your weight on your forearm and hold hold your Blade in your other hand.

As your attacker moves in the stomp/kick at your head you slash at his legs while spinning around on your other arm-Continuing to face your attacker preventing him from circling in behind you. Using the strength of your right arm, to move faster, giving up a bit of reach with your left arm.

If you attacker comes to a stop you switch the Blade to your right hand, taking advantage of the extra reach of your arm and the use of your Life Hand.

I am also able to flip on my back and kick at the attackers ankles and knees. From this position I can also reach my attackers hands and arms, using a longer Blade and by lifting my Upper-body a bit higher, if he moves into range trying to move my legs out of the way.

Once you are comfortable on the ground you will be able to move and Stab/Slash at your attacker at the same time. Something that is not possible when seated. Having to move your chair first before launching your attack-Making you a lot faster.

Brent for various reasons a firearm is not a viable option as a weapon for me right now. But if circumstances change in the future I would jump on the chance to own a gun-It would solve my two biggest training and fighting challenges-Reach and Stopping Power.

OSSU
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

There are words you use for yourself internally, and words you use with others externally.

The Twelfth Precept - The tiger is good at killing, but the antelope tells the tale
    Gabriel Suarez

Thanks Cabe

I read through the quote a couple of times carefully to really grasp the meaning behind the words.

I will definitely by making these words my own. Not only being able to quote the words exactly. But to be able to fight and act like a Lion when the need arises but to use the disguise of the antelope to my advantage-Appearing to be the helpless victim after the attack.

OSSU
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR