Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10mm questions

Glad you resurrected this thread.

Got rid of my G29 awhile ago and replaced it with another G20. Around the homestead, though, a TDA has advantages including holsterless carry and ready storage.

I see there's still a polymer 10mm or two in their lineup:

EAA10.jpg

Ugly, no? But a beauty like yours would look no better once I got my hands on it.

Anyone here have experience, preferably longterm, with the EAA poly 10mm?
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Papa: is that basically a polymer framed CZ-75 in 10mm?
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD
    DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

Yes.

It's the way downscale version of Coastal's gun by the same manufacturer, Tanfoglio.

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

Vale et omnia quae.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Glad you resurrected this thread.

Got rid of my G29 awhile ago and replaced it with another G20. Around the homestead, though, a TDA has advantages including holsterless carry and ready storage.

I see there's still a polymer 10mm or two in their lineup:

EAA10.jpg

Ugly, no? But a beauty like yours would look no better once I got my hands on it.

Anyone here have experience, preferably longterm, with the EAA poly 10mm?

I've got a tuned up Elite Stock II in 9mm, come up and try it sometime if you want. Tanfo's competition models like this are what pushed CZ into the competition market (going back a few years here); the base model Tanfos have a reputation for being a cheaper copy of a CZ, but in the higher end stuff Tanfo actually did it first and theirs are very good too. Of course with these competition models you get to start with a $1K-$2K+ pistol and can easily drop another $500+ in trigger and action work even if you do it yourself.

With that said, I've had several Tanfos in 10mm and wouldn't get another one for using a steady diet of real 10mm loads. They're fine for 9/40/45, and the common watered down 10mm ammo, but really aren't set up right to handle heavy 10. The frames are heavy but the slides are relatively light weight (part of what makes them flat and fast shooters in 9mm) and the lockup mechanism and angles are identical for 10mm as for the other calibers. That just leaves the recoil springs to tame it down, which I did on mine, but IMO it wasn't really enough; I had issues with frame battering and with outrunning the magazines in rapid fire, even with the heaviest Wolff mag springs. I really like the 10mm, but prefer to stick to the Glock or 1911 patterns for that one.
    Caveat though - all mine were steel frame models. I've never bought one of the polymer frames.

For fun, some pichurs. These are a handsome pistol IMO.

Here's a couple rounds of 9mm in slow motion (1,000 frames per second)
    https://i.imgur.com/I2RtmkG.mp4
    Last edited by Yondering; 01-28-2021 at 12:02 AM.

Is the Glock 20 stout enough for real-man 10mm loads?
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    Oh yes, Weve run 100s of rounds of underwood and buffalo bore full power stuff through a glock 40 (the longer barrel would likely create more velocity and force to the frame, though the additional slide weight might balance that out) with no issues.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    Absolutely.

Vale et omnia quae.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    I've got a tuned up Elite Stock II in 9mm, come up and try it sometime if you want. Tanfo's competition models like this are what pushed CZ into the competition market (going back a few years here); the base model Tanfos have a reputation for being a cheaper copy of a CZ, but in the higher end stuff Tanfo actually did it first and theirs are very good too. Of course with these competition models you get to start with a $1K-$2K+ pistol and can easily drop another $500+ in trigger and action work even if you do it yourself.

With that said, I've had several Tanfos in 10mm and wouldn't get another one for using a steady diet of real 10mm loads. They're fine for 9/40/45, and the common watered down 10mm ammo, but really aren't set up right to handle heavy 10. The frames are heavy but the slides are relatively light weight (part of what makes them flat and fast shooters in 9mm) and the lockup mechanism and angles are identical for 10mm as for the other calibers. That just leaves the recoil springs to tame it down, which I did on mine, but IMO it wasn't really enough; I had issues with frame battering and with outrunning the magazines in rapid fire, even with the heaviest Wolff mag springs. I really like the 10mm, but prefer to stick to the Glock or 1911 patterns for that one.
    Caveat though - all mine were steel frame models. I've never bought one of the polymer frames.

For fun, some pichurs. These are a handsome pistol IMO.

Here's a couple rounds of 9mm in slow motion (1,000 frames per second)
    https://i.imgur.com/I2RtmkG.mp4
    1. I will.
    2. I see heavy (long) slides in EAA's parts menu. Should reduce frame battering and reduce the magazine issue. But $, and reduces handiness.
    3. Would the flexing of the polymer frame, like the G20, address both issues?
    4. That baby shoots flat.

Vale et omnia quae.

EAA and Tanfoglio have been around forever. They are basically copies of the CZ75. The CZ75 is one of my favorite pistols. Carried one on a couple of Central European trips...older models, but they still shot perfectly and fit my hand better than any other handgun I have ever fired.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    1. I will.
    2. I see heavy (long) slides in EAA's parts menu. Should reduce frame battering and reduce the magazine issue. But $, and reduces handiness.
    3. Would the flexing of the polymer frame, like the G20, address both issues?
    4. That baby shoots flat.
    Tanfo is weird with their "long slides"; a lot of the models they call a long slide are just a 4.75" barrel vs the standard 4.5". EAA (who is the main US importer, but not the only one) doesn't help with that either, since their website isn't the best.
    Even in the 6" Hunter models, the slides are roughly the weight of a G17 slide, and are designed to run 9mm. They do very well for that, and will certainly go bang and can shoot well with 10mm, it's just pushing the envelope of what they can handle well in my experience.

The polymer frame might help with some of that, but you might still have issues outrunning the magazine with full power Underwood and Buffalo Bore 10mm.

DogDoc - you got your answer, but I'll add a +1 to that; yes the G20 and G40 can handle a steady diet of full power 10mm. The G20 is one of the few pistols available that's actually designed specifically for full power 10mm, it's interesting to see the internal weight/structure differences compared to a G21 45 ACP slide.