Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10mm questions

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    VZ says they aren't sure.

Who makes a custom shoulder holster?
    I was thinking of you finding someone in your area that works leather, like a saddle maker , etc that could make the holster you want . That way you get exactly what you’re needing.

Congrats on the new blaster by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!

I still have the S&W 1006 my wife bought me as a gift in the late 80's. Recently I picked up a new Colt Delta Elite (so called gen II due to changes) also in 10mm. This has been one of my favorite cartridges for years!
    GOOD GUY'S SHOOT AK'S!

The DOG HOUSE is my comfort zone!

I used a Galco Miami Classic for years. I carried my M9 in one while I was in the Gulf. I ran a 20 round (93R) mag in the gun and two 15s in the pouch. I also ran a Alessi double shoulder holster with two Detonics Combat Masters.....but that's another story. Ive been told the John Rourke rig was a joke, IDK maybe it was; but it worked for me when I was working EP assignments in the neighborhoods of Baltimore City best viewed in the HBO series, "The Wire".

This gun will be more than a tool, its also a fun toy; but a toy I can use in real situations. Now it needs to be run hard to break it in and find its potentials. I don't see me moving to a sail boat any time soon, or even buying a Testarosa; but I think I may have a white linen suit.

It wont replace my RMRd Glocks, or even my 1911s, still there are times I can see it being useful.

Sid Woodcock told me almost 40 years ago that he carried two 1911s back in the day because of reliability issues, and that the Detonics was his attempt at a relatively light and absolutely reliable .45.

Ironically mine, #D2400, choked on ball ammo but was absolutely reliable with the hollowpoints of that time. And the hotter the load, the tighter it shot. It was a 2" gun at 25 yards, sometimes even better. But hot loads tended to peen the edges of the disconnector cut, probably from the hammer bouncing as the slide recoiled.
    It was too heavy and finicky, so I let it go. But I would not feel outgunned with a pair of them, and certainly not in 1979.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 10, 12. And a wakeup.

I got to shoot it today. It was only one mag of S&B 180gr FMJ. I was pleasantly surprised. Recoil wasn't bad; but you knew it wasn't a 9mm. There was none of the typical 40SW "flip". You did need to keep a firm grip; during a rapid fire string of maybe 5 rounds I lost a firm grip and noticed the recoil "punch" for my lack of maintaining full control. I know 14 rounds is hardly a workout worthy of an evaluation, so this is at best a "first impression" view.

The gun is heavy, not too heavy; but heavy by Glock standards. Obviously weight helps with the recoil management. It does feel comfortable in my hands. One thing I did note was the slide has limited grip area because of the CZ design (slide inside the frame). Its not hard to run the slide; but its "harder" than say a Glock. Obviously cocking the hammer first, makes it easier.

It only comes with one mag, which is disappointing. Luckily I have 3 more coming. Ive also got Corbon HP ammo enroute.

I purchased a Miami Classic shoulder rig from a dealer at half price because it hadn't sold in over 3 years; the down side is the holster was for a Springfield XD. It sorta fits, actually a little loose but snaps in securely. My plan is to find a better fitting model, then buy only the holster, as the mag pouch works and of course the harness is interchangeable.

All in all, Im impressed. Im not sure itll be my everyday daily carry; but Im thinking itll be carried more than I originally expected.

More once I give it a full workout.

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    I purchased a Miami Classic shoulder rig from a dealer at half price because it hadn't sold in over 3 years; the down side is the holster was for a Springfield XD. It sorta fits, actually a little loose but snaps in securely. My plan is to find a better fitting model, then buy only the holster, as the mag pouch works and of course the harness is interchangeable.
    Get several of the good clamps for gluing wood, seran wrap the gun, soak the holster, clamp it in tight. Once it’s formed add a few stitches or Chicago screws in the key spots.

Glad the new toy is fun at least.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

My wife has a hippo and a tanfog on her side of the bed. It's a 45/40 conversion kit. Right now with the 40 and it's one and only assault weapon ban 10 round magazine.

She just likes it there, in its original box, with the hippo. I'm ambivalent about this Bill Clinton memorabilia in my bedroom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by endsoftheearth View Post
    My wife has a hippo and a tanfog on her side of the bed. It's a 45/40 conversion kit. Right now with the 40 and it's one and only assault weapon ban 10 round magazine.

She just likes it there, in its original box, with the hippo. I'm ambivalent about this Bill Clinton memorabilia in my bedroom.

If it keeps her happy, then by all means let it be!
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

In 45 the gun seemed playful, when a case fell out of her hair in the restaurant after a range session. Or it could be the CZesque charm, or the way the grip fits her hand. I also fielded a long slide all-steel 45 Tanfog in Africa that she likely remembers.

In the run up to the last election some people still asked me if Hillary was so bad for gun owners. Maybe we keep these mags to remind the next generation of what can happen. Anyhow, full capacity on this compact is 12 rounds of 40, and therefore also 10mm.

This Tanfog weighs 24 ounces in 45, so I'm reluctant to try it in 10mm, even though a barrel might be all it needs. The mag accommodates 10mm and the recoil springs are loose on a steel guide rod. The barrel is $131 from Florida based EAA. How much can a Wolf recoil spring cost? Say $150 total to turn it into a 10mm.

The trigger roll pin walks out very gradually, over hundreds of rounds, and the 45 slide has luminescent dot sights. Actually, the sights are very good, on both slides.Not bad for $300 for the conversion kit, in 2002.

America has been good to The Hippo, upon arrival he was promoted from doorstop to bedside duty. Maybe the Italian gets promoted to 10mm.

There are complications though. Their barrels aren't necessarily drop-in, ejection is fierce and the dual wound recoil springs suck at damping 10mm slide velocities, even in the full size guns.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/1...10mm-purchase/ My wife's 40 magazine is really a 10mm mag. It has to be to fit the .45 frame. And, to the best of my knowledge, all Tanfogs have the large frame. So what the heck are they on about a 40 magazine and removing a rivet so it can feed 10mm???

The Tanfoglio Witness Hunter goes for $1 000, and seems worth the money. I loved my long slide 45, and the Hunter seems even better, at 14 rounds of 10mm.

I used my 45 on the road to Coffee Bay, in 1998, to handle a band of young tribal men who had blocked the road in their traditional Xhosa (click sound language) regalia. Had it between my left thigh and the car seat, as I forced my way through them.

There were plenty AKs in Transkei (means over the Kei river) at the time. Any one of them could have had one hidden behind their cowhide shield.
    https://eaacorp.com/guns/handguns/wi...-tanfoglio-109

I watch people collecting broken shells on Florida beaches and shake my head. Coffee Bay, on the Transkei Wild Coast had the motherload of unbelievable and pristine shells.

All you needed in those days was a gun like that, a flack jacket under your T shirt and a GPS. There was one road in and the same out. I entered my coordinates and on the way back, when I neared the same area, I waited for another car.

Followed in their dust for a couple of miles. Too close and stones hit you. Back up and catch up routine, all the while remaining completely invisible to the locals. You can see a short distance through the dust, enough to stay in the road.
    Last edited by endsoftheearth; 01-15-2019 at 09:18 PM.