Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanNobody View Post
    I hope this helps, and it may not, many of us who chose this particular ammunition did so because we weren’t seeing expansion from modern .38 Special hollow points. If not this ammunition, I’d use one of the solid rounds from Underwood. I think if you’re looking for a .38 Special to expand reliable at 2” velocities you might be in for a surprise.

Some bullets need speed to work and some use another style.
    I’ve been looking at all kinds of stuff and non would expand out of the 2”. That’s why I’m always glad when you put in your advice. I’m thinking if I have to shoot more then 10’ away with it I’m either getting closer or running away. I’m going to order some and throw some groups downrange and see what I can get away with. Thanks bro.

Don't sell yourself short. A quality 2" .38 with good ammo and good sights will give you head shots at 25 yards. At ten yards you should be able to pick which eye. And dryfire practice with a DA revolver is fun and smooths the action.

Win/win.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 5, 07. And a wakeup.

Chad,

I sent you the link to some tests with that ammunition. As for my advice, well...it's free and take it for what that's worth. I tend to speak from the "having been at the autopsy when bullet was recovered" aspect, so there isn't much I can do to help someone with what they may want to believe or want to hear.

I'll just caution you on this.. The 148 grain reverse loaded wadcutter at 800 FPS from a 2" expands A LOT. That expansion is going to rapidly decrease penetration. You need to be honest with yourself and ask what you need. If I only were to carry a J-Frame I'd probably first try and not do that, but if unavoidable I'd probably choose a bullet that'd give be better penetration on barriers. Your original post was on wadcutters so I went with that.

I've never shot anyone with a .38 Special, but I've been to my fair share of autopsies. From what I've seen the bonded bullets penetrated better, but in the end they all had poor expansion. Most of us that worked homicide carry the J-Frame and the ammunition we've been discussing because we're still carrying full size combat pistols and additional ankle guns. Those J-Frames go in the front left pocket when in uniform or in plain clothes. It is my experience, and perhaps the way I stand, slouch, or whatever, but that when I'm watching a suspect and I'm in plainclothes wearing a hoodie that having my left had on the J-Frame in that front pocket just makes me comfortable.

I can think of three autopsies with this particular style of bullet. All were center punches of the sternum with the projectile resting against that back of the chest cavity. As I remember the projectiles expanded to about 74 or 75 caliber. The murder weapon was a J-Frame in one or two of them and a Colt D-Frame in the other.. I was impressed - as were my friends.

I would also recommend looking at the Underwood ammunition - their solid Extreme Penetrator projectile. The cost is significantly more, but if you're only carrying that J-Frame I'd take a look.

In the end, remember that ammunition companies want to sell you something. You're going to have to weed through the claims. Just remember nothing is free and please ask yourself the following question, "What is my chosen weapon system really going to give me?" If you want speed and the bullet needs that to be effective I just don't see the 2" doing it.

For what it is worth.

J
    Last edited by JonathanNobody; 02-15-2019 at 09:04 PM.

Haven't been to many homicides on the third coast where the 38 SPL/J Frame was used. I guess it's just not a flavor the turds like anymore. IMHO worrying about speed and expansion from a snubby is a worthless endeavor. Reliability and penetration are my two concerns. I came across several boxes of 125gr Gold Dot in my dept's ammo room. It seems to load and shoot well. If you must have expansion, a round that caught my attention is the Federal HST 130gr Micro. What I don't like about it is it sucks trying to load from my J frame clips and HKS Speed Loaders. It loads fine from Speed Strips. Seems like a modern reversed HB Wadcutter designed to work.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Train with Payne 2019

AK RIFLE GUNFIGHTING - OCT 26-27, 2019 HOUSTON, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Don't sell yourself short. A quality 2" .38 with good ammo and good sights will give you head shots at 25 yards. At ten yards you should be able to pick which eye. And dryfire practice with a DA revolver is fun and smooths the action.

Win/win.
    Lol.. I was exaggerating alittle...

That Federal HST does look pretty ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanNobody View Post
    That Federal HST does look pretty ideal.
    I will check it out..

I’ve been using Federal’s HST 130gr micro. Walmart has a 20 rd box for $25. Can be found online for almost $10 less per box.

I would find something that is accurate first. Its still up to you to put the bullets where they will do the most good. Even with a back up gun.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I would find something that is accurate first. Its still up to you to put the bullets where they will do the most good. Even with a back up gun.
    I will make sure bro....