Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Stock design and fit also plays a HUGE part in felt recoil. A 243 with a Barnes will penetrate through a moose easily, projectiles matter more than headstamps. Also, a 270 that fits her well should not be a problem and a Barnes or partition in 270 or 243 will kill any animal in AK. Now if your talking following up a wounded grizzly, no I wouldn't pick either but for killing an unsuspecting animal, either the 243 or 270 with the right bullet will do fine. Personally I'd rather shoot a lighter kicking rifle than use a brake'd rifle for hunting purposes.

Really, I’m down with putting a break on any rifle. Notice I didn’t say carbine. To be effective with a rifle you can’t be scared of it hurting you as well as putting a lot of rounds down range with it. A break will aid in both of those...

Earplugs combined with good muffs go a long way toward taming the perception of recoil, too.
    "Hey I've got an idea! We should make welfare as easy to get as VA benefits."
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!

Thanks gents. I have no exerience shooting anything larger than White Tail deer, and almost any semi decent slig will do the job for that. Almost every source states bullet constructio and placement are the two most important things in bringing home the meat and I believe that as I used to hunt using FMJ ammo back in my pauper days and it worked fine. Son is going to find someone on base to let his wife shoot some unbraked rifles so she can test recoil.

A 12ga 870 shooting Brenneke Black Magic slugs will be carried for bear medicine if needed.

Thanks for the advice and patience

jim
    2 Samuel 22; Psalm 139:21-22

Quote Originally Posted by kabar View Post
    Earplugs combined with good muffs go a long way toward taming the perception of recoil, too.

Muzzle taming brakes are similar to exhaust stystems with a holes in the muffler.
    Very loud report when shooting big bore rifle ....money better spent on a "Walkers Game Ear" might be considered. Tinnitus in some folks gets to be a permanent affliction. Ask me , in a loud voice, (almost shouting)
    Adrenaline during a hunt mitigates the shock of recoil anyway.
    30 characters exactly●★★ Scar 17s

Check out Calís piece on brakes. https://precisionrifleblog.com . He did a great test on the top brakes used in PRS a few years back. He included several suppressors as well and offered some interesting results. I hunt suppressed whenever possible these days. Years of motorcycles, thousands of hours in noisy cockpits, loud tools, and I never heard of muffs or plugs before the age of 20! From a bench I want a brake even with a 30.06. Off sticks or in the field, my .375 hasnít brake and I donít miss it.

The rifle she shoots comfortably is the one she will make the first round count. Make sure the gun fits her. Brakes make follow up shots faster. Hope she never needs one! Good hunting!

If she has a lot practice behind a 243 I don't think jumping up to a 270 or 30-06 will be to big an issue. A brake will certainly tame it but I am betting she won't need it. Ladies can be quite tough just don't overdo it and make her sit in a long shooting session sighting in. Take her out a few times to get dialed in shooting 10-15 shots a session until she's ready to roll. As mentioned when you get a scope on an animal recoil is about the last thing on ones mind.

For comparison my wife's normal hunting rifle is a 270 but she will take out a 30-06 frequently and she will shoot my 300 RUM without an issue a limited number of times. She is 5'6" 130lbs. Her favorite gun to shoot is my M1 Garand.

Thanks again gents for the good info

jim

I have a 338 lapua that I have shot with and without a break, the difference is about 3 times as much. It would hurt, so if guys are saying that it’s only a perseption they don’t really know what they are talking about. With a heavy barrel(mean varmit barrel), you can sit behind a 308 for a couple hundred rounds comfortably. Anything in a magnum I would bet to say a break will not only make you a better shooter, you can actually put the rounds down needed to learn your bullet drop and be proficient in shooting it. Just like red dots on pistols, the break can be used as a tool.
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    I have a 338 lapua that I have shot with and without a break, the difference is about 3 times as much. It would hurt, so if guys are saying that it’s only a perseption they don’t really know what they are talking about. With a heavy barrel(mean varmit barrel), you can sit behind a 308 for a couple hundred rounds comfortably. Anything in a magnum I would bet to say a break will not only make you a better shooter, you can actually put the rounds down needed to learn your bullet drop and be proficient in shooting it. Just like red dots on pistols, the break can be used as a tool.

Thanks!