Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I agree with what's been said, but want to make sure I AM NOT against roids, like I said, If I could get them, I'd be using them, period. I've got wusses for doctors around here I just need to keep looking. Yeah, I could get them at one of the gyms, but that's trouble I don't need.

I mention age, because, like a few here, I'm getting older (60), but that's nothing but a number, I'm not letting that limit me in any sense. My training methods have changed, and continue to do so, but I'm stronger in some lifts than I have EVER been.

I agree on rip. He only cares about what numbers you are putting up under the bar.

As far as bodyweight exercises, there are usually two types:

Light and easy, high rep only exercises
    Impossibly hard, and need to be worked up to.

Its the second type I aspire to. Strict one arm pushups are impossibly difficult for most, even strong guys.

Asking the question a different way, is there, at least in principle, some level at which we might say "this level of strength is good enough, drop back strength training to maintenance level and use the extra time to work on other things". Or will it never be good enough?

There are times where you need to de-load lifts but in general I want to go up steadily. Additionally I like body weight exercises in addition to lifting. Push ups, dips, pull ups, and archer pull ups. To me strength is your ability to move your own body around without assistance, so if your lifts are more than your weight you should be able to move yourself around fairly easily.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I imagine that for some there is a point where you stop chasing new PR’s. But overall being stronger (or more generally fit) is never a bad thing so i generally work out in the interest of reaching new milestones (be it strength, conditioning or body composition).
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by callmebubba View Post
    I imagine that for some there is a point where you stop chasing new PR’s. But overall being stronger (or more generally fit) is never a bad thing so i generally work out in the interest of reaching new milestones (be it strength, conditioning or body composition).
    I've definitely gotten away from single rep PRs. When I refer to continuing growth or always going up, I'm referring to a number of different things. 1) higher weight in 10 rep sets or 10/8/6 sets. 2) adding sets to lower rep lifts. 3) shorter rest periods between sets. 4) better performance in supper sets/monster sets. I also tend to pay attention to my recovery time too, like how long I maintain my pump or the severity/duration of my DOMS.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

This has all been very helpful.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Additionally I like body weight exercises in addition to lifting. Push ups, dips, pull ups, and archer pull ups.
    WTF is an archer pullup, says I. Internet!

I'm gonna need a wider bar.

THX, Greg.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 1, 10. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    WTF is an archer pullup, says I. Internet!

I'm gonna need a wider bar.

THX, Greg.
    I started doing them because I was getting some odd muscle structure and imbalance in my back because of my split lateral and after a couple months of doing them brought my balance back.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

The question that is repeatedly asked is: "How much do I have to lift in order to be objectively 'strong'?"

The question that is repeatedly answered is: "How much should you be able to lift in order to subjectively feel good about yourself?"

Using a bodyweight multiplication is useful for setting realistic personal goals, but I'm not sure most people actually gauge strength that way. At a powerlifting match, nobody pays attention to someone deadlifting less than 500#. If you weigh 155#, a 405# deadlift is pretty spectacular, and yet nobody stops to watch. Brian Shaw can deadlift over 1000#. He also tips the scales at around 450. Richard Hawthorne (aka "The Ant") deadlifted over 600# at a bodyweight of 132. Hawthorne's feat is far more impressive, but how many people actually know his name? Brian Shaw, on the other hand, has built an empire.

To set your own strength goals, a bodyweight multiplication makes sense. But if you weigh 135, you are probably never going to be considered "strong" by the general public. I think the little guys (and I accept that I am among them) should accept this reality. You won't draw a crowd at the gym if you are deadlifting less than five plates (495#), or benching or squatting less than four plates (405#). I think these are more publicly accepted benchmarks. I know that regardless of effort, I will never bench 405 and it is unlikely that I'll get to a deadlift of 495. I'm just not made for it. I'm squatting almost 2x bodyweight and it's still not enough that anybody thinks much of it.

You should strive to be the strongest you can be, but we should also have a realistic view of our place in the world. You could achieve all of those bodyweight benchmarks and still not be considered strong by the masses. Even limp-wristed hipsters, who have room in their skinny jeans, and are themselves incapable of a 1x bodyweight deadlift, would still not consider you strong. Because when they think of strong, they think of Brian Shaw or Eddie Hall. Real life doesn't have weight classes. It's not good enough to be a flyweight champion in a heavyweight world.

I think that is the brutally honest answer to the first question. But I hope it doesn't discourage anyone from pursuing their own personal best.
    Virtute et Armis