Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    And for those making a career of convincing Gabe that he is mistaken - "Should Karate Be A Sport...and by extension any fighting discipline intended for, well...fighting.

Chosen Chibana: “no”
    Gichin Funakoshi: “no”
    Kanei Uechi: “no"
    Katsuya Miyahira: “too much emphasis on competition, karate is a competition with the self”
    Shoshin Nagamine: “The study and practice of karate should not be as a sport, but as a martial art.”
    Mitsugi Saotome: “Teaching a competitive martial way is not the teaching of truth”; “Budo is not a game”
    Kenko Nakaima : “Sport karate competitions are unrealistic as speed is all one needs to win.”
    Eiichi Miyazato: "sport karate is, silly and unfair”
    Meitoku Yagi: “competition fighting is good…but ..the present rules are inadequate”
    Shinyei Kaneshima: “too much emphasis on competition in karate”
    Zenpo Shimabukuro: "karate sport competitions are, fashion shows complete with long hair and multicolored karate uniforms.”
    Seiki Arakaki: “In true martial arts, unlike sports, there are no rules.”
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

And if we want to continue to disagree on the sports matter, please...a new thread shall we.

The Hikite Video

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

One more thing to add to the sport versus real. Something I have never liked about BJJ. Is the guard. I know it seems to work in MMA and UFC. But can you visualize flopping to the guard with an adversary when he has a few buddies with him?

Quote Originally Posted by mross View Post
    One more thing to add to the sport versus real. Something I have never liked about BJJ. Is the guard. I know it seems to work in MMA and UFC. But can you visualize flopping to the guard with an adversary when he has a few buddies with him?
    Agreed. But you may end up in the guard regardless (because either it's imposed on your or using it was a better choice than getting steamrolled.

One of the things we practice in Pistol Ground Fighting is escaping from the guard to access the gun and shoot the bad guy. If there are multiples, well, that is shitty. But it doesn't really change what you have to do other than it makes it much harder and you'll have a much more difficult time mitigating the damage you receive.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

A martial sport can be kept pretty relevant, but it takes constant effort...and there's always divergence, but it's a known divergence. Left alone, the gamesmen and rules lawyers take over. This is particularly true when there's money involved.

Anyway, back to hikite...

Another way to use it: wrapping the other guy’s arm and pinning it next to your body. This uses a lot bigger muscles and is more secure than just a grip.
    Brent Yamamoto

OK. Back to hikite. The exact kata escapes me at the moment (I believe it is in several), in Ryu Kyu Kempo we where taught the hikite move is a set up for a strike to the brachial plexus. The lower had grabs the wrist and pulls back with a simultaneous strike to the plexus. The often results in what is a light force knock out. the pulling of the hand in often cause the head to tilt slightly exposing the plexus for the strike. As I understand it the strike cause a momentarily but dramatic increase in blood pressure which cause the knockout. If not a complete ko, then at least an opening for more strikes.

Shuto uke works like that. That’s not usually how it’s taught, but that’s how I use it.

I don’t practice the low back stance but this gives you the idea. Yes, it can be used as a block but I treat it more often as a strike.

7E65F29B-C495-4FEB-BAA1-58678DFF3C97.jpg

Of course lots of other ways you can do the same thing. The principle is simple...clear a path and hit him in the neck.
    Brent Yamamoto