Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    I've now had enough time carrying and shooting a G48 to have formed an opinion on it, but my take is somewhat noncommittal.

When I first picked up a G48, I thought it was magic. The size and balance are very similar to a compact 1911. It seemed to be a perfect compromise. The magazine capacity was among the least significant factors for me. I was more interested in concealability, accessibility, and shootability.

Concealability. Clearly, the 43 wins on this criteria. The minimal grip of the 43 makes it the gun to carry when you are not supposed to have a gun. Even those of us who do not find it cumbersome to conceal a 19 or 17 still have to admit that certain occasions make the little gun desirable. While the 48 bridges the gap, it falls much closer to the 19 than to the 43. Hiding the grip on the 48 is difficult enough that if I really care about hiding the gun then I'll grab the 43. If I can get away with the 48, then I can realistically go ahead and carry the 19.

Accessibility. What I mean by this is the ability to get the gun out under duress. I wish I could have brought this gun along to a pistol ground fighting class. It would have been a good test to compare the difficulty of drawing a 43 versus a 48 while Brent is beating you into the mats. While I had no such opportunity, I can still confidently say that the 48 is easier to access. Just rolling around on my own and drawing the gun, it is evident that the little bit of extra grip on the 48 makes it much easier to get ahold of. But it is not quite as easy to grab onto as the 19. In this criteria, it rides closer to the middle between the 43 and 19.

Shootability. This is the criteria that I've tested the least, but the 48 again appears to ride somewhere near the middle between the 43 and 19--perhaps a bit closer to the 43. It shoots well, but is not an artillery piece. While others profess confident accuracy shooting the 43 on the 50m line, I still feel like I'm stretching the limits of the gun at that range. Somewhere around 35-40m, I have to slow down a bit more in order to get hits. At 35m, I'm just as fast as I am at 25m. But at 50m, I take a little more time and my consistency drops just enough to notice it. With the 48, I am comfortable at the 50m line. My speed and consistency is on par with my 25m performance. I have only once tried shooting the 48 beyond the 50m line, and it was pretty quickly evident that it would not keep pace with the 17K that is my EDC.

In sum, the 48 is fine, but it really has no place in my arsenal. The two guns that I rotate between will continue to be the 17K and the 43. I plan to keep the 48 because, Why not? But if a friend needed a gun quickly, that's probably the one I would pass off to them--not because it is perfect for them, but because it would be the easiest to part with.
    Virtute et Armis

Default THE 48...FOR THOSE WHO HATE 43S AND 19S

My solution:
    THE GLOCK 43 STREET COMP
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...5&share_type=t
    Last edited by Ted Demosthenes; 09-15-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

2019 Classes:

CRG-3 Advanced Gunfighting, November 2-3 2019, Mapleton, OR

From Murphy: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GOTFX!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Demosthenes View Post
    My solution:
    THE GLOCK 43 STREET COMP
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...5&share_type=t
    AKA the "Ted Special."

Built one myself after shooting yours, but I need a narrower front post--with the short sight radius the OEM Glock night sight seems as wide as a torso at 50 yards.
    Last edited by Papa; 09-15-2019 at 06:16 PM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 1, 11. And a wakeup.

Agreed, I want a narrower front as well;I'm used (in a rut?? ;-]) to seeing some "equal light" on either side of the front along with more precision on the threat. I was also thinking of having the rear notch widened as possible solution (maybe not with tritium inserts).

My 43 F/R sights are tritium, are yours? Let's check with Shop Monkey to see if the SI standard .215 height front sights are narrower than both Glock tritium and non-tritium fronts.
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

2019 Classes:

CRG-3 Advanced Gunfighting, November 2-3 2019, Mapleton, OR

From Murphy: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GOTFX!!)

Front is OEM tritium, rear is OEM white outline.

Well-behaved little gun with the mods so far.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 1, 11. And a wakeup.