Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I know nothing, please help me learn

I’m not expecting this to be an all inclusive lesson but, I know nothing about rifles and the different types. For instance, what are the benefits of 300 blackout over 5.56? I see a lot of folks doing this “honey badger” thing with a really small AR pistol and they all say that works best in 300.

When I pick a rifle, should I go 5.56 because it’s common (like a Glock) or consider something like 300 blackout?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris

What are you going to use it for? A little more information on the intended Role, Niche, and Envelope would get you better answers.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    What are you going to use it for? A little more information on the intended Role, Niche, and Envelope would get you better answers.
    To be honest, I've not formulated any concrete plan. I guess that's why I'm asking; pros and cons of both, extreme uses versus "here, have this just in case."

I will admit, one small percentage of me wants a rifle because every American male should have one. However, I don't typically buy stuff that's not useful save for a few guilty pleasures. I've often considered having a truck gun but, I don't imagine myself fighting out of my truck because I'll always have a pistol. That's not to say it's not feasible. It just not probable.

I do know I want an AR platform. Past that I apologize. Like I said, I don't have a real plan. Let's go off of, "you're getting your first and possibly only rifle...here's what you may want to get and why..."

For now, let's also steer away from brands until I've decided on...caliber/type.

Thanks again.
    Chris

So just a general duty rifle then?

If I were going to do that I'd opt for a 16" AR in 5.56 with a 1-4 or 1-6 optic. It has the most utility and available ammo, add-ons, and parts.

If you're just getting in the game and want to do an AR pistol I'd do the .300 bo. in the shorty since you're not really going to look at shots beyond 300m anyway due to the length and the 30 cal cartridge packs a good punch even out of the shorter system with either a red dot site or 1-4 variable.
    Last edited by Greg Nichols; 12-26-2018 at 01:32 PM.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Your first rifle should be a 5.56. There's more ammo options and it's cheaper than 300 BO.
    Making the bad man go away since 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopherloaf View Post
    I’m not expecting this to be an all inclusive lesson but, I know nothing about rifles and the different types. For instance, what are the benefits of 300 blackout over 5.56? I see a lot of folks doing this “honey badger” thing with a really small AR pistol and they all say that works best in 300.

When I pick a rifle, should I go 5.56 because it’s common (like a Glock) or consider something like 300 blackout?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think you can't go wrong starting with a basic 16" 5.56 for your first rifle.

300 Blackout was intended to be optimized for short barrels and subsonic loads. With supersonic and a 16" barrel I think it's similar to the AK round--nothing wrong with that, but that's a side benefit for most. 5.56 leaves a lot of powder unburned in short barrels (= lower velocities, more muzzle blast, etc.). 300 Blackout supposedly doesn't need more than 8-9", so if you like the idea of a more compact package and you like the idea of easy subsonic options then it's a great idea for a second gun. Just be aware that a barrel length under 16" on a true rifle means NFA paperwork and a $200 tax.

If you want to deviate from the Glock approach, a bullpup gives you the ability to have the same overall length or shorter compared to an SBR but still get the performance (and non-NFA status) of a 16" barrel. You can find good options for 5.56, 300 Blackout, and .308. Just expect to spend a lot more than a basic AR will cost.
    Last edited by mike135; 12-26-2018 at 02:44 PM.

If you start in the rifle format you can later use other barrels 16 inches and longer in other calibers like 300 bo plus others. But that lower can not be used to do a pistol build once it was used for a rifle. I am new to the AR myself, but I would recommend as stated a 16 inch barreled 5.56 until you know more.
    The AR is a modular system and most parts can be installed by the gun user without going to a gunsmith. So you can upgrade literally to your hearts content in the future.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Just be aware that a barrel length under 16" means NFA
    Not always, but you can learn more on that as you get into the AR.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Not always, but you can learn more on that as you get into the AR.
    Ok, valid point--I modified the statement.

I'm happy that the "pistol" exemption exists, but I think for now it's wise to remember that it wouldn't take much for that to change. If they can/will do it with bumpstocks (pending litigation, of course) they can/might do it with the braces just as easily. I wouldn't want to plan my first rifle around that.

Quote Originally Posted by mike135 View Post
    Ok, valid point--I modified the statement.

I'm happy that the "pistol" exemption exists, but I think for now it's wise to remember that it wouldn't take much for that to change. If they can/will do it with bumpstocks (pending litigation, of course) they can/might do it with the braces just as easily. I wouldn't want to plan my first rifle around that.
    Too much in the way of details. Let him start with the basic AR and grow into things as he learns.

My problem as a beginner myself with the AR is that there are so many choices in the final platform that you use.