Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What ever grease works and doesnít stink too bad. Iíve used high pressure wheel bearing grease in my AK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Train with Payne 2019

CRG-2: CLOSE RANGE GUNFIGHTING - APRIL 13-14, 2019 - ORANGE, TX

CRG-4: FORCE ON FORCE GUNFIGHTING - MAY 18-19, 2019 - ORANGE, TX

I realize WT doesn't support the same functionality as YouTube, but this is a subject matter where video would help. Having it written out provides an easy reference material, but a lot of people would benefit from seeing it.

On lubrication, I learned a nifty trick from Mike Pannone. The AR (DI versions; not piston systems) was designed to void excess lubrication. And the only area where excess lube presents a serious problem is in the magazine (where you don't really want any lube). Here is the trick: push the rear pin, hinge it, and remove your BCG; hose/squirt/pour oil into the slot for the cam pin (maybe a tablespoon or so); put the BCG back in the gun and close it up; chamber a round; drop the mag; fire one round. When you fire that round, it will blow that oil all through the receiver. The excess will vent out through the gaps in the receiver--including around the charging handle, so you may get oil sprayed back at you. In the process of blowing all of the excess oil out, it will distribute oil to all of the parts that need it. By removing the mag, you prevented oil from getting into the magazine. (You may even want to reach up and wipe a finger around the inside of the mag well to remove any oil there. You don't really need an oiled mag well.)

fullsizeoutput_5dd.jpg
    (Please forgive my lack of graphic arts skill.)

It's not the cleanest, most orderly lubrication process ever devised, but it is fast, easy, and it works.

Having started with Glocks, my tendency has been to run things pretty dry. It took me a while to accept how much oil the AR wants. And I've found that having too little oil is a serious problem, whereas too much oil is just messy. So now I default to adding a little more oil than I think is necessary. I may catch a little spray on my glasses, but I can live with that. I don't wear a tuxedo to the range. (Though I do have a couple of old sports coats that serve for training suits.)
    Virtute et Armis

FWIW - I mixed up a batch of a lube that was also touted as another version of Ed's Red. But, its a lube, not a cleaner. Similarly, it makes close to a gallon, and lasts forever. The mix is:

1 qt 30wt Mobil 1
    1 qt Dexron transmission fluid. (Closest commercial equivalent to Sperm Whale Oil)
    1 pt Marvel Mystery Oil
    I can STP
    1 sm bottle Hoppes 9

I find this "sticky" but still creeps in places. I just apply it with a small artist brush. Is it better than "everything else" out there? I have no idea, but I had the makings in the shop and figured I would experiment. I'm about 2 years into this gallon, and everything from Glocks to 1911's to M1's to UZIs run well on it.

For grease, I use red Mobil 1 as well.

I'm one of those guys that cleans an AR after every shooting outing. I just do. They're pretty nasty inside, more so than any other gun I've ever owned/shot. Therefore grease isn't something I'd use on one as it seems to make clean up longer/harder. I do use grease (marine grade bearing grease on the M1 Garand, M1A and the SIG 556R (that thing stays pretty darned clean from the bolt locking locks back, even with cheap Russian ammo.)

While I've not done this on an AR15, it was the only way on an M60. I carried a qt. of PLS to the field. I opened the feed tray and poured it inside. I'd do that several times over the week. Yeah, it ran out on my and my gloves, so what? It worked 100% after the break in period (I was "the guy" in the platoon, I always got the new/rebuilt M60's to break in).

When we got back to the barracks I'd go to the showers, turn one on full hot and about the time the water was so hot it seemed to "dance" across the tile and the steam was rising up I'd open the feed tray, pop the bipod down and shove it under the shower. The black crud would just roll out and down the drain. When the crud stopped rolling out, I'd turn off the way, grab the carry handle and head back down the hallway to my room. It was dry before I got it field stripped and all I had to do was clean the barrel good, wipe off the rest of the parts, wipe them off with an oily rag and put it back together for the trip to the arms room. The armorers would complain about how quickly I showed up for the inspection/turn in and accuse me of not even shooting it. I'd remind them of the times they were there when I was shooting it. They'd look it over, grudgingly accept it and I'd head back upstairs to clean my M14 and gas mask.

Maybe no one wants that much lube/oil on an AR15, but keeping it wet seems to reduce the amount of dried/stuck crud on the insides.