Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    All my 9mm I use the Barnes DPX bullet. It is a deadly round. Best source right now is Black Hills.
    You prefer Black Hills over Barnes factory ammo (TAC-XPD)?

Is the current production Corbon DPX any good?

"Night vision devices let you own the night. Flashlights just let you borrow some of it for a little while." -- Chris Upchurch

"A Glock will make someone just as dead as a 1911 but the 1911 will do it with style." -- Yooper75
    "Night vision devices let you own the night. Flashlights just let you borrow some of it for a little while." -- Chris Upchurch

"A Glock will make someone just as dead as a 1911 but the 1911 will do it with style." -- Yooper75

The manufacturer for the Seecamp recommends specific ammo and here one good reason to use what is recommended.
    The Seecamp uses a special chamber that utilizes the cartridge casing to retard the opening of the breech. This allows the gun to be smaller and still use a simpler using a more rugged blow back action rather than making it short recoil operated with a lot of tiny moving parts like one sees in a keltec.

The original Seecamp model was the LWS-25 chambered in .25 ACP and manufactured from 1981 through 1985, with a total production of about 5000 units. It used traditional blowback operation with a magazine capacity of 7 rounds. The .25 ACP model was dropped shortly after the introduction of the .32 ACP version.[5]
    Seecamp's second model, the LWS-32 was designed around the only hollow point .32 ACP ammunition available at the time, Winchester Silvertips. Ammunition with an overall length exceeding 0.910" (23.1mm) may not feed or chamber correctly. Operation is through chamber-ring delayed blowback where a raised ring at the rear of the chamber retards the rearward motion of the slide. This model uses a magazine with a capacity of 6 rounds. The LWS-32 remains Seecamp's most popular firearm. During the height of demand, production guns were selling out years in advance with individual guns selling for up to US$1000.[5]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seecamp
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

CCI Mini Mag, 40 grain bullet is the only 22 rimfire ammo I buy anymore. It is as reliable as match ammo in my experience and the plated bullets are somewhat cleaner than lead projectiles. With a heel based bullet, the 22 is not going to be as weather/sweat resistant as a centerfire, so change your carry ammo often. Sometimes a 22 is as big a gun as you can get away with carrying, so I get that. But for me that is almost never. If you are in that deep of an NPE, it might be better to develop a fake limp and carry a stout cane. Hornady has some Critical Defense 22 Magnum I have not tried yet...it would be worth a look if you have a magnum. Snakeshot does not have the penetration you need for targets the size of humans. And it does a poor job on snakes with the small rimfire payload. OK on mice. The NAA is small enough to fit in a pack of smokes, not that I have ever smoked. But they are TINY and sometimes that trumps the other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Winchester67 View Post
    CCI Mini Mag, 40 grain bullet is the only 22 rimfire ammo I buy anymore. It is as reliable as match ammo in my experience and the plated bullets are somewhat cleaner than lead projectiles. With a heel based bullet, the 22 is not going to be as weather/sweat resistant as a centerfire, so change your carry ammo often. Sometimes a 22 is as big a gun as you can get away with carrying, so I get that. But for me that is almost never. If you are in that deep of an NPE, it might be better to develop a fake limp and carry a stout cane. Hornady has some Critical Defense 22 Magnum I have not tried yet...it would be worth a look if you have a magnum. Snakeshot does not have the penetration you need for targets the size of humans. And it does a poor job on snakes with the small rimfire payload. OK on mice. The NAA is small enough to fit in a pack of smokes, not that I have ever smoked. But they are TINY and sometimes that trumps the other factors.
    For what it's worth, I have to send my NAA PUG back to the factory for warranty repair. The hand (pawl) that rotates the cylinder broke -- the little pin that holds it in place snapped. I've only had it a month, but I've put it through a couple of hundred rounds of 22WMR Hornady Critical Defense. I dug around and found that while this failure is not unheard of, it is rare. I got it as a possible second or third gun. I do like the idea of it; it's still a nice toy and a handy thing to have around. I'll just have to think about it before putting in my pocket as a life-saving device.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 02-23-2019 at 08:59 AM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

While not my first choice for sure, I know of no one who feels better after getting shot with these:

.32 ACP Gold Dot
    .380 ACP Gold Dot or Hydra Shok

I really don't use 22 LR or 22 WMR for defense.

This image is from Seecamps website:

seecamp: pug.jpg

Other than ammo availability (easily solved online), I'm not seeing much if any advantage to the Pug over the Seecamp.

I've bought a lot of guns in my life and have to say, from a strictly real-world likelihood of use standpoint, the Seecamp I recently bought from SI is probably the most important purchase. It really is the gun that will always be on my person regardless of where I am or whatever else (RMR G19) I may typically be carrying.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

A few observations for what its worth. Speer with their Gold Dot Short BBL line and Hornady's critical defense line of ammo is designed to perform well in short BBL firearms (like the type most often carried for deep concealment). My job affords the opportunity to test a wide variety of firearms and ammo both in water tanks and ballistic gel. I also get to see what different bullets look like when they are pulled out of human bodies. In my experience even premium JHP ammo may not expand well or at all if shot in very short bbl firearms. This is typically due to the propellant not burning inside the BBL. If the BBL is very short, a portion of the propellant is burned outside the BBL and wont help push your bullet faster. The ammo optimized for short BBLs may be using a propellant that burns quicker, allowing a higher velocity to be reached, and in theory promoting better bullet expansion.
    Also for what its worth, not that many here carry 25ACP, but nearly all the JHP ammo produced for this cartridge seems to fail to expand. Just another reason not to go too small. As others have said, even small cartridges will work provided good shot placement. Just dont assume that ammo that performs well from a full size gun will give the same performance out of a short BBL subcompact.

My first priority for self defense ammo is penetration. If the hollow point .32 ACP ammo fails to expand, it will very likely have greater pentration and will be better able to reach vital organs. So thatís OK with me.
    - Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it comes to dominate our lives and interests."
    - Patrick Henry

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson