Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I have had folks complain the "quite" rounds won't cycle the action. I try to tell them that's a benefit.

Perkins

Quote Originally Posted by john.c.perkins.9 View Post
    I have had folks complain the "quite" rounds won't cycle the action. I try to tell them that's a benefit.

Perkins
    There is serious downside to quiet rounds and that is velocity and energy is a lot less. The advertised velocity is around 700 fps with a 40 grain bullet. For shooting small animals, especially with the segmented bullet at fairly close ranges it works ok. But even if the ammo is lethal to larger animals, it is marginal in that capacity IMO.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

What kind of optic would the Tribe suggest for a build like this?

I'm leaning to a 1-4x to give some flexibility but am curious what others think. And personally haven't worked with variable zoom optics.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar01 View Post
    What kind of optic would the Tribe suggest for a build like this?

I'm leaning to a 1-4x to give some flexibility but am curious what others think. And personally haven't worked with variable zoom optics.
    I wouldn't feel bad with that.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I second that, I think the 1-4 would be a decent choice.

I haven't put much thought in it but a 3-9 also makes some sense, depending on what you had in mind for it.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I second that, I think the 1-4 would be a decent choice.

I haven't put much thought in it but a 3-9 also makes some sense, depending on what you had in mind for it.
    I think the 3 - 9 is both too much and also defeats the ability to use the platform at closer distances. 9X is a little much, in my mind, for a .22
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

FWIW, I've got a 3-9 on my 10/22, but I don't shoot really any closer than 25 yards. I usually keep mine about 4 and with good holdovers can make consistent hits on an 8" circle at 200 yards (haven't pushed farther than that). For quiet rounds, you wouldn't be able to use anything greater than 4x magnification, because the round simply won't be able to go all that far and still do much of anything.

For that matter, anything above 4x on a .22 really is kinda useless, since 4x is plenty for 200 anyway.

My thought is not so much for shooting farther, but for seeing small targets (or smaller points of aim) better than what you can with 4x.

Reactive stuff...yeah, I like 1x close in. But I don't see a 10/22 so much as a reactive tool. It seems to me very much a proactive tool and I can see some value in greater magnification for that role.

But like I said, depends what you're using it for. I would agree that 1-4 is a best all around choice.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

I have a buddy that’s a serious shooter. He has a .22 with a big old scope on it....probably 12x on the high end.
    I was busting his chops about it until he asked me if I’d ever tried to see a match head at 50 yards and showed me his phone videos of him hitting the things. He was shooting playing cards too....sideways. It was one of the CZ Tacticool models with an upgraded trigger.

Yeah. I bought one.

I put a 3-9 on mine. I don't have any interest in match heads. But I'd like to be able to see an eyeball clearly if I needed to.

I have a Ruger Charger with a folding arm brace too. I'm going to take off its red dot and put areal scope on that as well...probably a 2-6 or 3-9. The more I think about these guns the more I think the big play is quiet precision, and precision requires magnification.
    Last edited by DogDoc; 07-23-2019 at 07:17 PM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

For the intended purpose of this rifle I would put a 3-9 SWFA. 3x is good for everything except essentially room clearing, and this rifle has no place in that role. As Brent said above 9x is nice for identification and the SWFA has a GOOD FFP reticles, meaning holds are the same on all powers. A big reason I would want a scope that can be reliably dialed, is for precision. A 22, whether normal or subsonic, drops alot. The ability to dial and be precise on small objects like an eye socket is very important and if you need to shoot say 300 yards, for training or harassment,10 youll need close to the same amount of elevation as a 308 at 1k yards. Another option would be a 1-4 and 3-9 in something repeatable like a LaRue one piece mount.