Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlinPhoenix View Post
    Yes, I was running Eley Tenex Match ammo (I had though it subsonic) from my 28" barrel. Crazy accurate.

https://www.eleyammunition.com/eley-tenex-22lr/

"The iconic flat nose projectile of ELEY tenex is one of many innovations pioneered by ELEY engineers. As it cuts through the air its revolutionary design pulls the centre of pressure forwards, aerodynamically stabilizing the projectile and increasing accuracy at the target.Precise manufacturing techniques form cartridge cases of uniform length from a tightly controlled brass alloy. This ensures each propellant charge burns in a controlled volume, delivering consistent energy to each projectile."
    From what I understand, even in a 28 inch barrel it is subsonic. .22s are said not to gain velocity past a certain length of barrel that is less than 28 inches and I congratulate you on the shooting skills.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Hasher View Post
    I believe Gabe once referred to this as “ballistic masturbation” and I honestly have to agree with him.
    Indeed.

A crazy thing happens when you get out on the range and actually do some shooting. You find out its not that big of a deal and that the shooter matters more; Assuming the gun isn't garbage.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    Indeed.

A crazy thing happens when you get out on the range and actually do some shooting. You find out its not that big of a deal and that the shooter matters more; Assuming the gun isn't garbage.

I agree with you about actually shooting and learned that a long time, but that is not what the discussion was about.

I am actually here for tactics that SI excels at in my humble opinion. For nuisances in equipment vs supreme accuracy such is not SO important in real life.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 09-15-2020 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Added So
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

It’s hard to beat “shot placement” in importance regardless of caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    I agree with you about actually shooting and learned that a long time, but that is not what the discussion was about.

I am actually here for tactics that SI excels at in my humble opinion. For nuisances in equipment vs supreme accuracy such is not SO important in real life.
    Many 10/22 'match' barrels will shoot well (postage stamp at 100 yards); once you have the equipment nailed down, including the optics that you think best for your task, figure out
    your ammo. Field skills are harder to learn than shooting skills (according to the Hathcock crew at the Scout-Sniper course I attended in Quantico in 1980). Many .mil manuals are
    now available for study for background before going to the 'training area' to master those skills on the ground.

The Forum is a wealth of information for this topic from Sua and others for the field skills people seek. Hard to engage in 'tactics' if the skills to deploy those tactics are unknown.

Many people here certainly know more than I do but I strive to learn more every day.
    Last edited by KarlinPhoenix; 09-15-2020 at 07:00 PM. Reason: WT is a wealth of information
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

Quote Originally Posted by KarlinPhoenix View Post
    Many 10/22 'match' barrels will shoot well (postage stamp at 100 yards); once you have the equipment nailed down, including the optics that you think best for your task, figure out
    your ammo. Field skills are harder to learn than shooting skills (according to the Hathcock crew at the Scout-Sniper course I attended in Quantico in 1980). Many .mil manuals are
    now available for study for background before going to the 'training area' to master those skills on the ground.

The Forum is a wealth of information for this topic from Sua and others for the field skills people seek. Hard to engage in 'tactics' if the skills to deploy those tactics are unknown.

Many people here certainly know more than I do but I strive to learn more every day.

I wonder besides KarlinP, just how many here are military trained snipers. It is good when people with such expertise are willing to contribute. As I understand the difference between a typical LEO sniper and what it takes to be a military sniper are like night and day.

I wonder besides KarlinP, just how many here are military trained snipers. It is good when people with such expertise are willing to contribute. As I understand the difference between a typical LEO sniper and what it takes to be a military sniper are like night and day.
    depending on the agency, yep. However .mil snipers that decide to leave .mil tend to go contractor or find a .LE wor where they are fast tracked to marksman roles within .LE . Not all mind you, but enough that most larger agencies have a depth of knowledge.

Now .LE sniper training as a school is nowhere nearly as intensive on the stalk/hide area, but just as intensive on the accuracy/dope side.

I should add that my role/training is NOT as precision marksman, Im a CQB guy, but know and have had discussions with several PM's in the .LE and .mil world
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

The mission is like night and day. But don't think its easy to be a "typical LEO sniper" however. A sampling

1. Selection process for LE (usually a year long affair)
    2. Graduation from the academy (6 months)
    3. Patrol School (often OJT) and a year long probationary period
    4. Two to three years patrol before any special assignment like SWAT
    5. Selection process for SWAT
    6. SWAT school
    7. Serving on the team as part of the perimeter element
    8. Serving as entry element
    9. Selection for sniper
    10. Sniper school (usually FBI or some other Federal Agency)

So its not as easy to get there, and although the Mil position has greater degree of job variance and application...police snipers are not the slouches you see on TV
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    The mission is like night and day. But don't think its easy to be a "typical LEO sniper" however. A sampling

6. SWAT school
    9. Selection for sniper

So its not as easy to get there, and although the Mil position has greater degree of job variance and application...police snipers are not the slouches you see on TV
    Thank you for elaborating the awesomeness of the LEO snipers. Very excellent.
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post

6. SWAT school
    9. Selection for sniper

Almost exactly my route, other than 9 and 10 were reversed. I did sniper duties for a time here and there, but predominantly stayed on entry by choice.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

**Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**