Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PIRATE GUNS - A CONCEPT AND APPLICATION

We had been discussing this when an LE member mentioned his region's affinity for these. They called them "Pirate Guns" in reference to the contrarian view of most sniper training for domestic LE. Rather than the super heavy 24" barrels ready to ding the gong at 1000 yards, these rifles are very different. They are light and handy and suitable for hyper accurate shooting out to 500 yards, but surgical inside 100. The application of concept is not cheap. Just as when Cooper developed the Scout idea, attempting to cheap it out will not yield anything near where we wish to take this.

Rifle - we will be using the Remington 700 because it is the most prolific and I want to make money on this rather than have product sitting around waiting for the right Steyr or Tikka owner to buy it. Easy button will be a Remington 700 SPS 16" barrel with threads.
    Using another Rem will be fine, but you won't benefit from any longer barrel. We will likely work some samples up with the 70-CP as well in 300 BO.

Stock - Initially we plan on using an MDT chassis. It is the lightest and most conducive to what we want. There are many oversized and overweight chassis out there, but that is not the mission. The MDT is minimal and allows for the use of M4 pistol grip as well as stock system. A folder is also available and a great idea. The MDT also allows for the use of AI magazines which are an essential aspect of this. ADL and BDL actions are a thing of the past.

Optics - It depends. We are looking at a few options as the base system. I am leaning toward a Leupold Patrol 3x9, but we haven't seen all samples yet. There may be some sleepers coming. This is not the place for red dots or 1x5s. Its also not the place for 6x20s. 2x7, 3X9, 4x12 ish is better in this application. No cheap ass scopes.

The final product will look something like this -

mdt-700.jpg
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Gabe, since youre going close range (out to 500), any thoughts on night vision? A night vision optic mounted in front a day scope, makes the rifle a 24 hour weapon, instead of a rifle with a permanent mount night vision scope and a separate day optic rifle. Typically an optic, such as a PVS 14 is mounted on a rail that extends in front of the day scope. PVS22's attach to the day scope; but are also stabilized on a front rail. It can be done on the rifle you have pictured above with a long rail.

The Precision Reflex 16" rail is a good option. Its cheaper ($250) then the Remington MARS unit, which is all but unobtainable and over $500 when it can be found. Both the Precision Reflex and the Remington require 8x40 screws, instead of the standard 6x48 screws.

Another option is a chassis stock with a free float type top rail. Im not sure if a stock with a free float type rail, or for that matter night vision fits your ideal pirate gun concept; but it seems like a reasonable idea give the parameters you defined.

Quality NV is becoming almost reasonably priced, not quite disposable cash ($1500+); but do-able considering its so much better than older generation gear, or Chinese junk. A front mounted NV optic, is a 24 hour gun that means no fiddling with the actual aiming scope.

Just a thought

We are selling MDT and MDT has an interface
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    We are selling MDT and MDT has an interface
    Thanks Gabe I didn't see that until after I posted the NV query. It looks like there are a number of good options

Gabe do you have any information on the 223 MDT mag running 300 BLK form a bolt gun?
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

I do not

I wonder what mag the Remington 700 CP uses for 300 Blk. Doesn’t seem to say on their site.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

It uses the AI 223 magazine...NOT the M4 magazine
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    Gabe do you have any information on the 223 MDT mag running 300 BLK form a bolt gun?
    I don’t know anything about that particular mag, but I have a 308 MDT mag and it feels like good quality to me.

I haven’t shot that gun a lot, but no issues with the mag so far.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Close Range Gunfighting 3, Oregon - pending
    Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Still watching, like what I'm seeing. I've got an older Blaser for the long barrel, this is looking interesting.