Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    as a customer I second Crown and Caliber for pre-owned luxury. I have purchased two from them, and ended up returning one and it was hassle-free. They answer questions on the phone, and provide alot of assistance towards higher end purchases so you get what you want.

On the mid level, and while I own a SKX007, I like the Turtles for a bit more (SRP775, SRP773, etc) because they have handwind. only thing I hate about the SKX is not having hand wind. I also like Strapcode's bracelets as add-ons because the SKX bracelet is very 'tinny' to me.

a bit more money..have you looked at Hamilton watches with their automatic movements. Their field watches are highly regarded, and they have (if I'm correct) Swiss movements, though they are a bit more than the Seikos.

I would comment on Hamilton first hand but the one I just ordered is still in transit.
    Last edited by kbak67; 12-13-2018 at 08:04 AM.
    “Nobody trusts anyone, or why did they put tilt on a pinball machine.”
    Steve McQueen

Try Gnomen watches as well. They have some other Swiss options like Alpina and ORIS as well as Seiko and also Steinhart which is made in Augsburg, Germany. I believe they are in Malaysia but their shipping is fast via DHL.
    http://www.gnomonwatches.com/
    In every country where independence has taken the place of liberty, the first desire of a manly heart is to possess a weapon, which at once renders him capable of defence or attack, and, by rendering its owner terrible, often makes him feared- Alexandre Dumas

check out Nite watches.They just introduced an automatic,i have their quartz Icon model and it's a great watch from a great company.And the tritium is so bright at night you can read with it:)Ball also makes great stuff,but a little more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by thewolverine View Post
    Try Gnomen watches as well. They have some other Swiss options like Alpina and ORIS as well as Seiko and also Steinhart which is made in Augsburg, Germany. I believe they are in Malaysia but their shipping is fast via DHL.
    http://www.gnomonwatches.com/

I have a stein hart titanium diver that’s been flawless. I used it to replace my Tudor Pelagos ( that i found I wasn’t wearing as much ). Though day to day I’m actually wearing a Fitbit charge 3 most of the time. It’s 50m waterproof, vibrates when I have a call , shows texts received, alerts to my calendar on my phone and has a good vibrating alarm if I need to get up . I charge it every three days or so for a couple hours and wear it the rest of the time.

It relegated my stein hart to my dress function watch.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by emtdaddy1980 View Post
    Need input on reasonably priced Automatic.
    What is your budget?

I work a Seiko Orange Monster Auto for about 10 years, until one day it started slowing down and eventually stopped. I don't know why, I haven't taken it in to have it looked at since I have other options, but I do love that watch. Since then I've worn my Casio Rangeman about 95% of the time, but my "nice" watch option is my Tag Aquaracer... which I believe can be had in an Auto, too.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

I only have one auto and stopped wearing it because I'm constantly rotating watches and don't own a rotating case to keep it running.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by IANative View Post
    What is your budget?

I work a Seiko Orange Monster Auto for about 10 years, until one day it started slowing down and eventually stopped. I don't know why, I haven't taken it in to have it looked at since I have other options, but I do love that watch. Since then I've worn my Casio Rangeman about 95% of the time, but my "nice" watch option is my Tag Aquaracer... which I believe can be had in an Auto, too.
    Automatics will not run forever... They need to be serviced. Parts wear down and oil dries up.
    Preventative folks have their mechanical watches serviced roughly every 5 years while others wear them till they are forced to service them... Both methods have plusses and minuses, but either way it has to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Frederick View Post
    Automatics will not run forever... They need to be serviced. Parts wear down and oil dries up.
    Preventative folks have their mechanical watches serviced roughly every 5 years while others wear them till they are forced to service them... Both methods have plusses and minuses, but either way it has to be done.
    Understood. To whom would you recommend I turn to have a Seiko Orange Monster serviced? Seiko? Third party?
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Understood. To whom would you recommend I turn to have a Seiko Orange Monster serviced? Seiko? Third party?

NOT Rolex ; , the last service on my XOs two tone oyster was about $650.00. And that is from a certified master that I trust not to screw me. In retrospect there were a couple of parts that had to be replaced, and I might look at it from the engine perspective of I have to replace the alternator and waterpump and that would be about the same with labor.

I’ve sent a 007 to seiko for a rebuild before several years ago. I got it back with a minimal bill. I did include a letter explaining how I counted in on it for my job, how it helped me, and that I was happy to have my endorsement published if they wanted too. I don’t know if that helped or not.

In that note, TELL folks if a product works and helps you . After hurricane Harvey, I sent out several letters to manufacturers telling them what worked, what didn’t, and what could be improved upon ( in my view).

I’ve sent a few letters to Gabe about his products and techniques, openly saying he was welcome to use my letters to push a good product without compensation for whatever he figured my word was worth ( it and $4.50 will get a latte at Starbucks). I haven’t seen my “endorsement ‘ used but curioslly though, my last slide came back with tritium front and rear “8” sights when I ordered front only......and not a word from Gabe as to why ..... but it DID work better with the “8” front/rear than the front alone. Gabe’s good people that way.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Any competent local watch repair place should be able to handle your Seiko... That is an extremely common movement that they should all be very familiar with.
    But sending it back to Seiko is just as good and may provide you more piece of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by coastalcop View Post
    NOT Rolex ; , the last service on my XOs two tone oyster was about $650.00. And that is from a certified master that I trust not to screw me. In retrospect there were a couple of parts that had to be replaced, and I might look at it from the engine perspective of I have to replace the alternator and waterpump and that would be about the same with labor.
    You got a very good price... When a Rolex needs replacement parts you are usually talking around 1k and possibly much more.
    But just a routine inspection/tune up is going to be $500, so there you go.
    One guy spends $500 every 5 years and another guy lets his go till it breaks and spends 1k every 10 years. But these are just rough averages and YMMV... One Rolex may go unserviced for 20 years and just be 3 minutes slow per day.