Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlamb+++ View Post
    Harbor Freight ( I know it's cheap Chicom produced ) has ultrasonic cleaners for around a C-note, less with a coupon. A shot of Simple Green and dunk it for 5 minutes of run time. Wipe off and brush out the barrel. Lube it. Done

<snip>
    Then charge the customer a $60 cleaning fee. Everybody wins.
    Making the bad man go away since 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlamb+++ View Post
    Harbor Freight ( I know it's cheap Chicom produced ) has ultrasonic cleaners for around a C-note, less with a coupon. A shot of Simple Green and dunk it for 5 minutes of run time. Wipe off and brush out the barrel. Lube it. Done
    A couple of years ago we offered a cleaning service. You would send your gun in and i would clean it as if turning it back into the armory, a few of you on here know that level of clean, then i would lube all the necessary point with a proprietary blend. $100 covered return shipping with insurance and my time, we had exactly zero takers.

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

I grew up shooting corrosive milsurp mostly 8MM and 30.06 also had a bunch of 45ACP dating pre- WW II. and through the 50's. Gun cleaning was more than a good idea.

I live on a farm and frequently fire a shot or two, hell sometimes a mag and will not automatically clean, but if I decide to have a shooting session the guns are cleaned. I keep old GI M-16 butt stock cleaning kits in all of my vehicles and off road machines. Guns get dropped in mud and snow and barrels need "unobstructed" immediately.

I keep a sacrificable K-Frame in my street vehicles. I had one in a car that I rarely use. They are lubed before I put them in there, but this one had a cylinder release that needed persuasion to open it.

IWB holsters are lint traps. I wipe my carry and rack and dry fire it often.

Old story: I was at the station of a neighboring PD that did our dispatching flirting with the dispatcher. Frank, one of their guys came in to use the shithouse and left his holster on her desk. He had belt loops to reload. The copperwashed bullets had had green patina. I opened his gun. There were two fired casings that he never bothered to reload. They had a cleaning desk and supplies. I cleaned and oiled his gun and put fresh ammo in it and his belt loops. The dispatcher was so impressed that she became my girlfriend and later my fiance. I kept the green bullet rounds to fire ---two did not go bang.

Choirboy

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    What happened to fathers taking their kids shooting and then cleaning them afterwards?
    The fathers you are thinking of were fine warriors and hunters. What they were not, in general, was "gun guys". Heaven knows that wasn't a bad thing, but I am pretty sure that most of them actually didn't realize that modern commercial ammo was not, in general, nearly as corrosive as the stuff they were familiar with from the military.

Now if you will all excuse me, I am going to slink in shame back to the gun cabinet and take care of a few neglected chores.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    What happened to fathers taking their kids shooting and then cleaning them afterwards?
    I think we're into the second generation of ignorance.

I'm an oddity - my father was a serious competitive black powder shooter. So I grew up with guns that had to be scrubbed out. Get back from a match, and I was cleaning guns for a good two hours (two rifle-muskets, two carbines, and at least one revolver). To me, the suppository guns are pathetically easy to clean.

But to a cartridge shooter after the adoption of non-corrosive primers, cleaning was not something you had to be anal about. And that switchover was complete around 60 years ago. Most current shooters don't clean...because their fathers didn't clean. And their grandfathers may not have had to be overly picky...

Raised by a dad who'd been an infantry company First Shirt. In the late 60's as a young teen I was still dipping a stripped down Garand into a tub of hot, soapy water. It was on me every month to give each firearm the once over and if rust ever got by me there'd be hell to pay...
    Last edited by Puddle; 12-13-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    anonymity is underrated

Unfair. Unbalanced. Unmedicated.

I looked on the Harbor Chicom sight and ultrasonic cleaners are $79.99 and there is a 20%off coupon. No way is this going to get as clean as Shopmonkey's service but you can dunk the WHOLE pistol into the 2.5 liter machine ( after fieldstrip ) and be done in 5 minutes. AR15 bolts as well- no scraping crud. They take about 15 minutes and require a few extra wipes in between.

I charge my shooting buddies a couple of boxes of ammo to clean their stuff. I bought the ultrasonic cleaner 3 year ago, use it 4-5 times/year and have gotten about 300 rounds of 9mm, 500+/- 5.56 for a $60 investment. BONUS- my wife grabs her jewelry and I clean it as well. Happy wife, happy life. Thanks for posting this, Gabe.

Reloaders can clean brass as well, BTW

Crap, even my safe queens get stripped, inspected, and preserve lubed 1-2x per year...

I usually take my slides off and clean everything after I shoot. But I don’t ever take the entire gun apart completely. Maybe something I should learn how to do...

I'm sorry to report I've even seen law enforcement personnel carrying a non-functioning firearm due to lack of proper maintenance. One in particular may have been in this condition for at least 6 months. With paid time and cleaning gear provided to perform the task. *Mind Blown* as to how one could be so oblivious, where that tool may mean the difference between ones life or death. As a former member of the few and the proud, I learned that there is "clean" and "Marine Corps clean".