Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    And is this gonna be retro, or pimped out?

Attachment 56923

Or both?
    Yes, why just have a plain weapon when you can have a personalized piece of gear.... I love that shit....

I'd vote for going used - a nice pre-Series 70 Colt would be my choice. Actually, not only would it be my choice, it is my choice. I like the older rollmarks, the wide hammer, the short grip safety. Sure, this is the setup that is most prone to biting you, but for a BBQ gun, that's a tolerable risk. And when you take it to the range, just throw in a few sacrificial BandAids and put them on preemptively. Figure on spending $1k-1.5k for a clean example from the 1960s, and more for a clean pre-war commercial model.

You can still get factory engraved colts. That would be what I would try and do. Or go my route and get a pair engraved that are consecutive number...

I like BBQ and agree the gun out in the open should be a 1911
    I have an old Kimber from their early semi custom days that is an afternoon BBQ gun and a slightly duded up Les Baer for more formal after 6 bbq and wedding use :) they both run and if they don't one of the modern tools is right where I always carry it.

Hi Power. Otherwise, custom 1911 (cost is much higher)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a 1911 lover, but since a Hi Power was mentioned, I know where you can get an original in pristine condition for a great price. My son, if I had the change I'd buy it myself...

Mike's real smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    And is this gonna be retro, or pimped out?

Or both?
    Retro with a classy pimp job? Is that possible? Personalized old school is what I'm aiming for.

The Cabot line is already classy, not something I'd mess up. It would be cheesy in my book.

This is a gift to myself so not worried about budget.

Heard lots of horror stories about Taurus. Have always had good luck with Sig so that would work. External extractors, fine with me.

Factory engraved colts, this I have to look into. Might be the easy button,,,,,but then is it truly personalized?

At this point I'm thinking blue with wood grips and classic engraving. 70 or 80 is ok, I like them both.
    Last edited by Monte; 12-12-2018 at 09:22 PM.
    Monte

Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    Retro with a classy pimp job? Is that possible? Personalized old school is what I'm aiming for.

The Cabot line is already classy, not something I'd mess up. It would be cheesy in my book.

This is a gift to myself so not worried about budget.

Heard lots of horror stories about Taurus. Have always had good luck with Sig so that would work. External extractors, fine with me.

Factory engraved colts, this I have to look into. Might be the easy button,,,,,but then is it truly personalized?

At this point I'm thinking blue with wood grips and classic engraving. 70 or 80 is ok, I like them both.
    That isn’t retro, that’s old school. The guy that carried that gun killed over 40 people...

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Mike's real smart.
    I am?.... I mean: I AM!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk