Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default THE RUGER 10/22 IN ANTI-PERSONNEL APPLICATIONS

Israel Adopts Ruger SR-22 in “Less Lethal” Sniper Role

The Ruger is used by the IDF for …

• Killing dogs in the vicinity of a target
    • Injuring leaders of violent demonstrations or violent participants of a violent demonstration.
    • The IDF uses it as a mid-range system that is “less lethal than” military caliber rifles (5.56mm/7.62mm) and capable of hurting severely enough to stop them using committing violence (throwing rocks or molotov cocktails).
    • Can be used more accuracy at distances, unlike a rubber bullet or baton round.
    • It is used when it is not safe enough to get close enough to use a rubber bullet or baton round.

The plinker went to war: The IDF's Ruger 10/22

In recent years, the IDF 10/22 cache has seen a number of upgrades to include BX-25 mags, FAB Defense modular composite stock systems with aluminum bedding blocks, and more modern optics.

The Israeli army‘s use of the Ruger sniper rifle

The Ruger 10/22 sniper rifle is back in use in the West Bank.

The weapon has been outlawed under Israeli law since 2001. It was deemed “more lethal than previously thought” by the Israeli occupation Judge Advocate General Menachem Finkelstein after it killed several children in Gaza during the second Intifada.

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    It was deemed “more lethal than previously thought”
    That line probably didn't deserve as much laughter as it inspired from me.

The .22LR is a poor choice for a defensive pistol, but it definitely has a role in combat. Ammo quality control is often sub-par; it is impossible to properly crimp; and it is as low on the power spectrum as you can go. But it is quiet (even without a silencer), small, lightweight, relatively cheap to train with, and leaves a more complicated ballistic signature (for those who are concerned about such nefarious things).

For a few years now, I have used a dedicated CMMG upper with a 4.5" barrel combined with a Sparrow silencer. It is the same size as an unsuppressed MK18, and noticeably lighter. It actually feels butt-heavy, which is an odd thing in an AR15. I recently gifted this upper to my brother and replaced it with a 9" upper, but haven't put the new gun through its paces yet. The 9" barrel is longer, but the balance does feel more natural to me. I love this gun's ability to stand in as an understudy to a 5.56 or .300 AR. It feeds flawlessly from Black Dog Machine magazines. After running it now for quite a while, I conclude that (a) it is a perfect understudy, and (b) it can be improved upon in a purpose-driven rimfire.

If I wanted a rimfire for the benefits that rimfire offers, rather than as a trainer for a centerfire, I would opt for a gun that feeds from Ruger's 10-rd rotary magazines. For some purposes, I would prefer a bolt-action. Today, Ruger actually makes a bolt-action that feeds from those same magazines. Perfect (almost). If I did not require absolute stealth, I would rather have a an auto--making the 10/22 the obvious choice. My next rimfire, though, will actually be a hybrid of these. I am not convinced of its superiority, but I am intrigued by the Volquartsen Summit--a 10/22 action with a straight-pull bolt, very similar to a biathlon gun. You can buy the Summit as an action only. It would combine well with a quality aftermarket barrel and a side-folding brace in a chassis.

I think I know what my next build will be. I'll be anxiously awaiting the product drop.
    Virtute et Armis

Interesting, I remember Cooper writing about this application years ago. I think it was in To Ride Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth. His recommended use was once the agitators were identified, to put a round in their lung. He opined that it wasn't likely to kill them, but would convince them that they needed to be somewhere else immediately.

Jim Miller
    ISA 6:8

This is a project I have had on my want list for a long time. Very excited to see where this one goes...this far I haven’t been inspired enough by the products currently on the market. I have no doubt the SI chassis will fit the bill.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

While a bolt action may be interesting LawDog, the problem is that other than an SBR, there are no factory bolt action PISTOLS so you either do the SBR thing or stay at full sized 16" barrel...defeating one of the points of concept.
    Gabriel Suarez

I would think the Ruger charger has some capabilities in certain applications. Especially with the myriad of aftermarket parts available.

Lol oops just saw the charger thread! I guess I was on the right track though!

Tiny suppressed .22's have some great utility if you have a devious mind. I have used an SBR 1022 with a 10" barrel and with the advent of arm braces and pistols it makes things even easier.

Ammo isn't as hard as some might think. Match 22lr is very common since its heavily used in Europe. SK Ammo and the like are easy enough to get online. Ironically Wolf Match .22lr is rebranded SK ammo from what a friend of mine told me. We were using a 1022 rifle and wolf match ammo to hit a 6" (yes six inch) steel circle at 400 yards with a gun special built on a Volquartsen receiver. It cost as much as a Noveske AR when all was said and done. This isn't the type of thing done with a bulk pack of 550rds from walmart. It wouldn't be hard to hit a uvula at 50 yards with a good set up and ammo.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

I know a guy that has a large supply of Match 22 LR ammo recently uncovered in a dungeon is AZ somewhere. Maybe he will put some up for sale....
    Gabriel Suarez

I too have been thinking of a project rifle like this for a couple of years. I am excited and looking forward to what SI has in store.
    Don M.
    Scottsdale, AZ

"Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge"

Austin 'Dusty' Miller, the quote on the Eagle & Fledgling statue at the U.S. Air Force Academy