Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Watching this development closely.

Pirate guns.. love it. Can't wait to see where the Tribe takes this...

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Pirate Guns? I love it. Any details you could share with their development and concept application would be awesome.
    Sorry for the delay with this reply

As our regional team covers a large county-wide area, we could be called for missions in a densely packed New England town or a sparsely populated rural area. Our operational tempo is not that of a large metropolitan area, and officers assigned to the team work a regular patrol shift in their respective towns.

As snipers assigned to the team, there were few opportunities where we would find ourselves in a traditional role- stalking in to the target, setting up a hide from long distance, getting onto the roof of a hi-rise building (there are none) etc. If our mission were to take place in a densely populated area, we did "Jump Outs", high risk warrant service where we would roll in with the ARV (Bearcat) un-ass from the vehicle, establish containment, and the entry element would do their job. Sometimes our sniper position would be up through the hatch in the Bearcat turret when we arrived to the target. If the terrain/geography of the area or location of the target allowed, we would go in advance of the entry element, find cover/concealment, and get eyes on. Other times we would set up in a vehicle where we would be able to observe the target. In these missions, most of the time we would be within 100 yards.

As all of these types of activities involved getting into/out of vehicles, the 20" barrel precision rifle (at 16 lbs.) was found to be somewhat unwieldy. For close-in work we operated with scoped AR's, but one of us always had the "Big Stick" on hand just in case things changed to a hostage situation or an armed suspect getting into a vehicle. It was a warm fuzzy feeling to know that if needed the barrier penetration of the .308 was available with the BHG 180 gr. Nosler Accubond. Our team also trained in Active Killer response and were able to get into some large venues in the area- shopping malls after hours, schools, very large corporate office buildings, and we developed what we called a Mobile Sniper team Concept, bringing snipers into these large venues to provide cover/over-watch to the entry element. (I wrote about this concept which was published in the NTOA Tactical Edge Spring 2013) The 16 pound rifle that each 2 man team fielded was always with us in addition to a scoped AR. We often trained with snipers from another regional team and through discussions we talked about using a shorter, lighter precision rifle platform for the majority of operational situations we faced.

One day a fellow sniper and friend showed up at the range with his 16" barreled .308 bolt gun in a chassis. He called it a "Pirate Gun" and we all touched it and ooo'ed and aaaah'ed over it. The idea and concept began to catch on, and several guys started to have their own pirate guns built. I had GA Precision build me a left handed Rem 700 with a 16" barreled action which I mated to an MDT LSS-XL chassis. Like the saying goes, quality and accuracy is not cheap.....

GAP Rem 700.jpg
    Last edited by Michael L; 01-04-2019 at 06:41 AM.

Michael L, you win the internet today..That is awesome. In my old Dept., our snipers also used standard Rem 700's. As time went on the rifles got shorter, moving to 20 inch KAC SR25's, and many years later the larue OBR. For typical urban distances, a 18 to 16 inch 308 will fill the bill. Love that pic of your rifle.

Being a regional Team, members were responsible to provide their own weapon platform; handgun, AR rifle and as a sniper, your own precision rifle either bought by your department or yourself. Being left handed, my department was not going to spend the coin on a rifle that could not be passed on to the next person to take my place. Most of us bought and paid for our own bolt guns, which was no big deal because we are snipers dedicated to the cause. I started with my own GA Precision custom build Rem 700 LH 20" barrel in a McMillan A5 stock. I later added an SASS suppressor. It was a "Big Stick" to tote around. I sold the Big Stick and used the funds to build my Pirate Gun......
    Last edited by Michael L; 01-04-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Will you guys sell the MDT chassis for other rifles like the Ruger American Predator? Id love to send mine in if so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oryx-fde-slide.png
    Howa Mini Action Oryx
    The new Oryx rifle from Howa is a sleek, balanced, bolt-action modern sporting rifle that combines the best features of a classic hunting rifle with the popular look and feel of an AR. The chassis has an adjustable length of pull (13.25 to 15 inches) and comb height, recoil pad, and sling swivels. You can customize the chassis with green, black, gray, or FDE accents, and choose from a .300, .223, 7.62x39, or 6.5 Grendel calibers in Howa’s 1500 barreled action. The entire package is a steal, but if you like the Oryx chassis and want to customize the rest of the gun, you’re in luck: Howa sells the chassis alone for Remington, Tikka, Savage, and Ruger rifles for $400. And like all the company’s products, Howa backs everything with a lifetime warranty.

FEATURES

• Available Caliber for Oryx Mini Action: .300 Blk, .223 Rem, 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel
    • Available Caliber for Oryx Short Action: 6MM Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, .308 Win
    • Full monolithic aluminum chassis
    • Adjustable LOP - 13.25"-15"
    • Adjustable comb height
    • Two-stage HACT trigger
    • Color options include FDE, Gray, & OD Green
    • SUB-MOA Guarantee
    • Lifetime Warranty
    Last edited by Sleestak; 03-09-2019 at 08:11 AM.

I love the aesthetics of these guns. IMHO a weapon with functional beauty is just so much more desirable to own. Not a gilded Lilly but functional beauty. Example (not sniper rifle) the old Winchester 94 I hunted with as a kid had that functional beauty that just made me want to walk around the woods with it cradled in my arms. The SI example at the beginning of the thread stirs similar emotions as well. I think you might be onto something.
    Is God Politically Correct? If not should you be? - F. Huff -- God is unchanging in His love. He loves you. He has a plan for your life. Don't let the newspaper headlines frighten you. God is still sovereign; He's still on the throne. - B. Graham -- No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority. - Robert A. Heinlein