Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is a weapon mounted light a necessity for a fighting shotgun?

In todayís day and age of bolting everything to carbines, should we be doing the same to our shotguns? I have a Beretta 1301 Tactical with the factory 5 round tube. I would like to attach a light to it, but I havenít found a light mount for the factory 5 round version and i have no desire to get a magazine extension with a 1913 rail barrel clamp to attach a light. What do the masses think? Is a weapon mounted light a necessity on a fighting shotgun?
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
    - John 15:13

The masses are dumb as dirt so nobody cares what they think. But we do have opinions on this and have written about it many times. All my articles are in my blog section. My opinion differs drastically from "the masses".

None of my carry pistols have lights.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    The masses are dumb as dirt so nobody cares what they think. But we do have opinions on this and have written about it many times. All my articles are in my blog section. My opinion differs drastically from "the masses".

None of my carry pistols have lights.
    Thank you, Gabe.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

I was working with my shotguns and lights this weekend. I will post a couple pics when I am home from the dojo tonight.

In short, it depends.

I like a small light on stocked shotguns...emphasis on small. A great attribute of the shotgun is that it doesn’t have a lot of shit hanging off of it.

To this point I have not wanted a light on my Stakeout. I think the nature of this weapon is such that we won’t need lights when it’s employed. But I did find something I am going to experiment with that is small enough to consider.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Here ya go Nick

Lights on shotguns
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

I don't have any images handy, but it does appear in the video below - I have a Surefire Scout Light attached via a Magpul Mlok attachment to the Magpul forend. I believe Magpul has revolutionized the shotgun furniture world and the way to attach things. Anything you add must have a purpose, otherwise don't add it. And before you add a light, ignore all the silliness the inexperienced trainers suggest on soc-med.

Gabriel Suarez

SCOUT LIGHT

MAGPUL HANDGUARD

Light must be as small and robust as possible. I know SF is not inexpensive but I won't recommend cheap trash. To me shotguns are weapons not toys. The light should be removable as you don't want it there for some uses, and you do for others. And it should be easy to operate WITHOUT COMPROMISING OR ALTERING your firing grip.
    Gabriel Suarez

I have a 1301 Comp 24Ē that I picked up as a toy for 3-Gun and such. I donít plan to use it as a fighting tool, but I canít help but evaluate it as such. I put an extension tube on it and attached the Pic rail and QD. Having that in place, I mounted a Scout light with a tape switch. It did not stay there for long. It was awkward and ungainly.

I really like the idea of a flashlight that replaces the mag tube cap and just looks like an extension of the mag tube itself. But the only one I have ever seen was pretty chintzy.
    Virtute et Armis

Thank you so much, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    Here ya go Nick

Lights on shotguns
    Gabe - [Today, nearly three decades later you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a weaponlight or another. And so while setting up a special 870 for a project I am working on I sought to add a light. More on this in a moment. First let's discuss purpose. I do not like to add anything to a weapon platform that does not serve a specific mission-crucial purpose.

A light is not needed on every single weapon. Lights make weapons larger, sometimes clumsier, and definitely heavier. I will say, and have said multiple times, that a light is contra-indicated on a concealment pistol. If you find you might require a light in addition to your handgun, a small handheld light is better than anythinh else I have seen to date mounted on a CCW handgun. A uniform carry patrol/SWAT pistol with a light on it is a different matter due largely to the different mission.

On shotguns its similar. On a Stakeout for example, I don't care for a light. The concept of the weapon is proactive usage, usually when away (in vehicle and in public) so the requirement to illuminate before shooting is not usually present. On other weapons...such as the new Pointman Series, it is a more multi-purpose application. And yes, the Stakeout could find use in the same application...and in that instance it would benefit from a light added.]
    if you need one, get one. If you don't......... well then.... don't
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities