Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MDT Chassis Pistol Build

I see SI is now selling the MDT LSS chassis. I’ve built several rifles using this MDT chassis and quite like them.

With the recent talk about the upcoming Remington chassis pistol, I was wondering if the MDT LSS chsssis from SI could legally be built into a pistol with an arm brace and short barrel if you had a virgin receiver that had never been a rifle.

Historically, SI hasn’t had much interest in competing in the bolt action rifle market but maybe a tactical bolt action pistol would be niche enough to be worth it. They could certainly do a better job than Remington just like they did a better job than Remington on the Tac-14 and a better job on the Glock than Gaston.

If so, I’ll be the first in line for a 300 Blk SI Snipercito...and yes I’ll need a dollar every time you use that name. LOL
    Last edited by DogDoc; 12-06-2018 at 08:34 PM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

1). We will be doing some work with bolt guns in 2019. We are already set up as dealers with MDT and there are a number of items we will likely produce when we can make them better.

2). The 700-CP is a great offering and I was actually going to build one with a Model Seven Action. The Chassis sold by Rem is a bit overdone so we will probably have a lighter one available

3). If I need to set down details of the value of a suppressed 300 black out bolt action rifle with a short barrel and folding arm brace...I don't know if we can save you.

4). And for the inevitable Remington haters (second only to SIG haters, third to Glock haters, and fourth to Suarez haters), keep your worthless and unwelcomed comments to yourselves. In the pistol world, Glock rules the hill...and in the bolt action world, its Remington.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Good to hear Gabe. 2019 will be interesting.

I have no issues with Remington. But, like most things, the factory stuff can use a bit of gussying up to make it tier one.

Is the MDT chassis legally gtg for a braced pistol build?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

The chassis is legal with an arm brace but not a stock. I think Rem over did the CP chassis and a lighter system would be beneficial. We may do our own actually.
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    The chassis is legal with an arm brace but not a stock. I think Rem over did the CP chassis and a lighter system would be beneficial. We may do our own actually.
    Yeah the Remington fore end/hand guard seems a bit much. I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Im actually very interested in a armbraced bolt gun. I have been toying with a short 308 for a few years, first as a AR10 platform then on a bolt action; but as we have discussed 308 does not play well in pistol length barrels AND for the likely ranges 300Black works better than other options. Finding a slim armbrace will make this perfect BUT slim is the real issue. AR buffer tubed based systems may be the easy button but they add unnecessary bulk when folded.

On a side note, a 308 Model 7, based rifle (think the Rem/AAC 300 they made a few years ago) in a lightweight folding chassis is on my list.

I know alot of shooters swear by the MDT chassis and I do like it so I'm not knocking the selection... That said I've always preferred the XLR chassis, especially the Element, even over more expensive options. Gabe, I'm curious if you've ever had some hands on time with any of their chassis options and what you thought of them?

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

Weight is an important consideration. A heavy chassis that is good for bench shooting is of no interest to me. As well...I am doing this to make money. A great chassis built by the god of war himself that is overly expensive and has shitty dealer pricing won't be bought by anyone. So there has to be a "within reason" clause to this. At the end of the day, we may well be making our own as a chassis can't be any more difficult than a slide.

First order is the Remington line...after that maybe other things. I am focusing more on "bolt action pistols with braces" than in 24" in powerclean rifles. I am also looking at a few things for the 10-22 and its "Charger Model".
    Gabriel Suarez

2019 will be another exciting year of SI product development/new product availability. Looking forward to these results.
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

Gabe,
    I think there is room in the braced 10/22 Charger market. I picked up one on Black Friday weekend. There's all the obvious reasons that the braced Charger is a great idea, but this one might not be as obvious. I have a couple young ones who are going to be old enough to start shooting soon. As they get to the point of using a semi 22's the braced Charger has a shorter LOP (SB Tactical SBA4 makes it adjustable too) and the shorter barrel makes it less front-heavy. Add a 22 suppressor and it's a really nice package for the little and big members of the family. I'm interested in what you're plans are for it.

One think to investigate (IMHO) is the current brace adapter(s) come straight back and put the head too high (over the bore axis) having the adapter have a bit of a downward angle or offset (similar to the Charger's big brother, rifle counterpart) may be a more ergonomic solution. Just my $0.02.
    [can't figure out a way to post the pic of the 2 side by side]
    We have to go in places no body would ever think of going into were it not for the necessities of war. ~ Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Be convinced that to be happy means to be free and that to be free means to be brave. Therefore do not take lightly the perils of war. ~ Thucydides