Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    Agreed, and yet I still find myself frequently searching for that "one" gun. I know that CQB and DMR don't work well together, but I have a dream.

The closest I've gotten to a do-it-all rifle is a SCAR 17 with a MK6 1-6x on it. That gun will comfortably do 900y (though 6x is a bit light for target identification at that range). And it's not horrible in CQB. If I had time to grab just one gun, knowing that battle was imminent and not knowing what the battle would be, the 17 is the gun I would reach for.

The runner up is a 14.5" pinned-and-welded 5.56. After building that, I had a much greater appreciation for the Army's selection of the M4.

The bedroom guns are certainly niche. I know that my targets will be within 100y, and probably within 20'. SBRs with cans are the order of the day.

If you are able to plan your mission, and you can choose the best tool, there are definitely better tools for specific tasks. But much of life is reactive. I would never put a Leatherman in my big toolbox because I have specialized tools that are better for each task. But the Leatherman gets lots of use, because I can't take the big toolbox with me wherever I go. So the question will still arise, "What one gun should I stow in the truck?" At home, you can have them all. And if you know that you'll be clearing rooms or performing overwatch then you can grab a gun specifically tailored to the task. But when you don't yet know what the mission will be, which gun do you grab? I suppose that in a strange way, the general purpose rifle is its own niche--a gun that is pretty good at everything.
    Wanted to re-answer this one with a link to another thread: http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...-of-a-Long-Gun try to manipulate the "do it all gun" through this inside a structure, then do it with a shorter platform.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Wanted to re-answer this one with a link to another thread: http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...-of-a-Long-Gun try to manipulate the "do it all gun" through this inside a structure, then do it with a shorter platform.
    That is a great thread.

The great thing about an AR...easy to change uppers for different problems.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps