Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Identifying a niche and envelope:

Let's use the shoe example again. What makes a "Dress Shoe" or even more specific black dress shoe?

leather
    black
    highly polished
    hard sole

Now let's look at a combat boot:

Leather - check
    black - check
    highly polished - check
    hard soled - check

So in the scope of envelope, combat boots are the same as dress shoes, but the niche doesn't line up. Combat boots would look as stupid in a suit as dress shoes would in a set of BDUs. They're out of place even in the same envelope, the niche doesn't match which in turn should lead you to deciding the role you expect them to fill. Now what if you change the scope of the role to a dress uniform? Either could be appropriate given the circumstances.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Wait... you need to use some analytical thinking? Can't I just buy more gear to avoid it? Preferably one thing that will cover it all and doesn't cost too much...
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Some weapons may have greater degree of application, but that doesn't make them General Purpose. The danger that develops...and we have seen it here many times is the cheap-out mind set.

"If you could only have one gun..." This is where Batman comes up and slaps the taste right out of Robin's mouth..."NO".
    I have never been a "if you could only have one gun guy", but I will admit to sometimes thinking in terms of a "general purpose rifle". But I like Gabe's description here - "some weapons have a greater degree of application". Practically, I have already been acting in accord with this principle, but this thread has certainly clarified my thinking and articulation of it. Excellent!

I also very much appreciate Greg's description of role, envelope and niche. To rephrase his words:

Define the role for the weapon, decide the envelope you want to work inside, then pick the niche weapon that works best for those circumstances.

I always have a pistol. Which pistol I carry and how I carry it is determined primarily by my concealment needs. (I am getting a lot of use out of the SI Jawbone 19 by the way.)

If circumstances allow I may even carry two pistols. (And this is a little silly but Gabe's analogy of the katana now makes me think of the Dai/Sho - the pair of swords, long and short, that many samurai would carry.)

Those weapons are for specific purposes, designed for a specific role and they can cover a certain envelope. How wide that envelope is can be determined by the capability of the fighter and the performance of the pistol. "Skill and equipment in accord".

Back to the rifle...

I have a bolt action 308. It's light, has a folding stock, is more accurate than I am. I set it up to cover a very specific role. It's capable of longer range than anything else I own, but I consider it to fit in a relatively small envelope by intent. Of course it can be pressed into other roles but is not ideal outside my defined role.

I have an SI Super Recce. It covers essentially the same role as the bolt gun. I know it's capable of hits at 1,000 yards, though even if circumstances allowed I might not press it that far...so I'd say its effective range is smaller than the bolt gun, but nonetheless it covers a bigger envelope...it has a greater degree of application. This is probably the gun I'd take if I knew my problem required the greatest degree of accuracy.

I have a few different assault rifles. Some have dots, some have low power scopes. Each has a greater or lesser degree of application, determined by optic, length of the rifle, and sometimes caliber. Some are intended to be small, light and quiet. Some will reach out a little further than others, some will hit a little harder. Any of them can be counted on to do their job, as long as I do mine.

I have put a lot of thought into the job I expect each of my weapons to perform. And after thinking about this thread I will put some more thought into "role, envelope and niche".

But for me the bottom line remains the same. Be capable - have the fitness, skill and abilities to win with anything at hand. Be ready - make sure your weapon is maintained, zeroed and ready to be put into service. And have it handy for when you need it! For practical purposes, that means 99.99% of the time it's the pistol you wear...but it applies just as much to long guns if you expect them to have an actual job.

And none of that means anything if you're not willing. Keep your mind right.

If I have to, I can kill damn near anyone in the room with a spoon. Thankfully we have better tools at our disposal than tableware.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post

Those weapons are for specific purposes, designed for a specific role and they can cover a certain envelope. How wide that envelope is can be determined by the capability of the fighter and the performance of the pistol. "Skill and equipment in accord".

But for me the bottom line remains the same. Be capable - have the fitness, skill and abilities to win with anything at hand. Be ready - make sure your weapon is maintained, zeroed and ready to be put into service. And have it handy for when you need it! For practical purposes, that means 99.99% of the time it's the pistol you wear...but it applies just as much to long guns if you expect them to have an actual job.

And none of that means anything if you're not willing. Keep your mind right.
    This x100. The envelope isn't only determined by the actual dynamics of weapon and/or ammunition choice but takes into account your skill set. Just because you have a Barrett doesn't mean you have the skill set to maximize the weapon's envelope. If you can't make hits at 500 with it then it doesn't matter that it can reach over a mile, or if you don't physically have the strength to hump it to it's firing point then it's effective envelope is it's case.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    Agreed, and yet I still find myself frequently searching for that "one" gun. I know that CQB and DMR don't work well together, but I have a dream.

The closest I've gotten to a do-it-all rifle is a SCAR 17 with a MK6 1-6x on it. That gun will comfortably do 900y (though 6x is a bit light for target identification at that range). And it's not horrible in CQB. If I had time to grab just one gun, knowing that battle was imminent and not knowing what the battle would be, the 17 is the gun I would reach for.

The runner up is a 14.5" pinned-and-welded 5.56. After building that, I had a much greater appreciation for the Army's selection of the M4.

The bedroom guns are certainly niche. I know that my targets will be within 100y, and probably within 20'. SBRs with cans are the order of the day.

If you are able to plan your mission, and you can choose the best tool, there are definitely better tools for specific tasks. But much of life is reactive. I would never put a Leatherman in my big toolbox because I have specialized tools that are better for each task. But the Leatherman gets lots of use, because I can't take the big toolbox with me wherever I go. So the question will still arise, "What one gun should I stow in the truck?" At home, you can have them all. And if you know that you'll be clearing rooms or performing overwatch then you can grab a gun specifically tailored to the task. But when you don't yet know what the mission will be, which gun do you grab? I suppose that in a strange way, the general purpose rifle is its own niche--a gun that is pretty good at everything.
    Wanted to re-answer this one with a link to another thread: http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...-of-a-Long-Gun try to manipulate the "do it all gun" through this inside a structure, then do it with a shorter platform.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Wanted to re-answer this one with a link to another thread: http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...-of-a-Long-Gun try to manipulate the "do it all gun" through this inside a structure, then do it with a shorter platform.
    That is a great thread.

The great thing about an AR...easy to change uppers for different problems.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps