Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Stone

If my memory is correct, I seem to recall the gubmint paid 3 bucks and change for the M-3 Grease Guns.

Choirboy

Quote Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
    If my memory is correct, I seem to recall the gubmint paid 3 bucks and change for the M-3 Grease Guns.

Choirboy
    It was in WWII dollars about 22 bucks.
    From a quick google fact check
    At the beginning of World War II a Model 1928A1 cost the U.S. Government about $212. The alterations to make them into cheaper M1 and M1A1 reduced that to between $42 and $44. However, a Grease Gun only set the government back about $22.
    But adjusted for today it would be a lot more.
    $1 in 1945 is equivalent in purchasing power to $13.62 in 2017, http://www.in2013dollars.com/1945-do...-2017?amount=1
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

And now you can buy semiauto versions of each for around $1200 bucks without a magazine. I won't even try to post the link.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 0, 15. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by 45Smashemflat View Post
    I think the going manufactured price was something like $1.75 back during the war... Amazing what they go for now. A distant relative was one of the designers, the T in STEN...
    I googled the price

It took about five man-hours to make one weapon and the Sten cost about $10 to produce—about $130 a weapon today when you account for inflation.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    And now you can buy semiauto versions of each for around $1200 bucks without a magazine. I won't even try to post the link.
    I am not sure just how many parts they can use from a kit to make a semi-auto sten since it must fire from a closed bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    I am not sure just how many parts they can use from a kit to make a semi-auto sten since it must fire from a closed bolt.
    You can use the external stuff like the mag well and the trigger housing and stock. The bolt can be milled out to take a floating firing pin and then it can be built as a striker fired or hammer fired system. Lots of work. I did two of them years ago. One with the side feed and the other converted to vertical magazine. It's fun if you like to build. If you want to shoot, the AR is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jlwilliams View Post
    You can use the external stuff like the mag well and the trigger housing and stock. The bolt can be milled out to take a floating firing pin and then it can be built as a striker fired or hammer fired system. Lots of work. I did two of them years ago. One with the side feed and the other converted to vertical magazine. It's fun if you like to build. If you want to shoot, the AR is your friend.
    Yes Sir the AR is your friend if you want the easy button for sure.
    But why would you want a vertical magazine. A side mounted mag has a lot of things going for it. The Aussies mounted them almost on the top position on the Owens.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Yes Sir the AR is your friend if you want the easy button for sure.
    But why would you want a vertical magazine. A side mounted mag has a lot of things going for it. The Aussies mounted them almost on the top position on the Owens.
    Actually, the Owen Gun and its successor, the F1 SMG both had top feed magazines -- like the Bren LMG. And yes, I have real life experience with them. There are two advantages to a top feed Mag; 1, gravity assist in the event of weak springs or dirty mags; 2, no mag in the way going prone.

There's YouTube video from a couple years ago of Gunny and Kirsten Joy Weiss making fruit salad with a pair of Owens.

No reason a modern braced version couldn't be built as a pistol with, say, Uzi mags.
    Last edited by Papa; 12-09-2018 at 03:04 PM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 0, 15. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post

No reason a modern braced version couldn't be built as a pistol with, say, Uzi mags.

There was a SMG called the Sidewinder prototype (made by Sid McQueen) that was very STEn-esque. Instead of a shoulder stock it had a semi curved "butt" that was horizontal and meant to be braced by the inner arm at the elbow. It was a "bullpup" design with the grip almost at the muzzle. The mag well could pivot to either side. The idea being that it could be fired from either arm. There were no sights, aiming was more instinctual and impact based. Later versions changed the horizontal brace to a more typical vertical curved stock and sights were added. The Bushmaster Arm gun used a similar concept.

Other than being full auto, I wonder how the inner arm brace would be viewed today?