Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Stone

Default Rolling Stone

Or rolling Sten, if you like.

A little something the crew picked up yesterday, and doomed to destruction.

sten1.jpg

Far as we can tell, it's fully functional, including the "R" setting on the selector. No SN, and no paper.

I assume it's a parts kit assembled into an aftermarket/homebuilt receiver.

Love to have one of these as a pistol with a brace.

And yes, I know I'm not supposed to hold it by the magazine when shooting.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 3, 11. And a wakeup.

Trust me. Have your S.O, especially the bosses, have a range day with it. I guarantee it will end up in your S.O.'s armory. You have no idea how much fun a STEN can be!

At minimum, confirmation testing is required.

1, 3, 11. And a wakeup.

Yeah...just to make sure its real
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Or rolling Sten, if you like.

A little something the crew picked up yesterday, and doomed to destruction.

sten1.jpg

Far as we can tell, it's fully functional, including the "R" setting on the selector. No SN, and no paper.

I assume it's a parts kit assembled into an aftermarket/homebuilt receiver.

Love to have one of these as a pistol with a brace.

And yes, I know I'm not supposed to hold it by the magazine when shooting.
    i have been told that by owners, but a WWII veteran that was American claimed that a sten would traverse across a room when held by the mag. I only fired them as I was instructed to and that was not hold them by the magazine well.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

When Carter was Prez .................................................. .....

Quote Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
    When Carter was Prez .................................................. .....
    Don't. I'm at the verge of tears thinking about it.

1, 3, 11. And a wakeup.

I think the going manufactured price was something like $1.75 back during the war... Amazing what they go for now. A distant relative was one of the designers, the T in STEN...

Can I just say I love my MKII STEn and Sterlings. The side mag is an acquired taste; but once you embrace it; youll love it. The STEn gets a bad wrap about jamming; but its really bad mags that are the issue, and 75 years later they haven't gotten any better. When you find good ones cherish them. The problem was so many manufactures and of course wartime conditions; but mostly just ho hum quality demands.

The Sterling on the other hand is pretty F-ing special. OK maybe its not up to the standards of a modern Gen 3 closed bolt SMG (MP5/Colt SMG). The Sterling is the best of the post war open bolt gun, yes I think even better than the UZI (but that just a personal call). The Sterling has rollers instead of a magazine follower, making loading super easy without any tools. Theres a big debate whether the Sterling was designed to use STEn mags in an emergency, or if that was just happenstance. Personally I have a hard time believing it was intentional, given the quality and design time they put into the actual Sterling mags. Yes I have used STEn mags in my Sterlings and they worked; but I made sure I have enough real Sterling mags so I don't have to worry. On the flipside I run STEn mags in my M10 because even with the issues they are much more available (and cheaper) than M10 mags simply from a volume of availability point.

Both the STEN and Sterling had suppressed versions. Of course the Sterling is better. Again keep in mind they are open bolt guns so yeah the MP5SD is quieter; but the Sterling L34a1 is pretty F-ing quiet.

My STEn is a MK II, the one your guys found is a MK III, even crude-er than the MK II. Id love to have a MK V; but I don't know if its really better just kinda cooler especially if youre into Operation Market Garden history.

Yes there are better SMGs available now; but better is by todays standards. Would I choose to run a STEn in combat, yeah but that comes from lots of familiarity with the gun....and yeah Id prefer a Sterling.

Yeah, this one is pretty crude, with what looks like a stamped "sear" with a separate pin to hold the "pawl." But with a little tweaking and TLC, I wouldn't hesitate to run one. Not too bad a CQB rig despite the lack of a real safety, the crude sights and the additional tricks needed to run it from the left side.

I, too, would prefer a Sterling, with those lovely curved roller mags.

1, 3, 11. And a wakeup.