Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My own recent experience being armed and interacting with an officer was extremely positive. He had been tailing me for a while, I didn't think he had reason to hit the lights but I realized as soon as he said it that I hate spending money on windshields as they always seem to get effed up soon after installation. I found a nice wide spot, pulled way over, put it in park, rolled down all of the windows all the way, shut it off, took my foot off the brake, and laid my Glock on the passengers seat with the barrel to the front of the car but the grip at an odd angle for me to grab quickly and made sure I kept both hands on top of the steering wheel. He didn't notice it right away and began speaking as soon as we made eye contact so I didn't have a chance to mention it. It wasn't until he asked me to produce documents that he looked down and noticed the Glock under his nose. He snatched it up quickly commenting that he didn't want anyone getting shot, especially him while he cleared it and laid it on the hood. I agreed with his comment, produced my documents and mentally prepared to accepted the coming of my citation. Another officer from a different agency pulled up behind us and he waived them off quickly stating that all was well.
    After all of the paperwork and a few routine questions and polite banter and even a few jokes about enthusiasm for both of our occupations when he asked about mine, he returned my weapon and magazine in separate motions and we went on our way. I left with an appreciation of his professionalism and a renewed disdain for buying windshields.

I gotta say, I think the desire to share with someone else that you are armed is bizarre.

It works for some of you. Thatís cool.

It is absolutely foreign to me.

To each his own.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

I recently received my first moving violation in nearly 20 years. I offered a "good afternoon" and kept both hands on the wheel upon contact. He asked if I realized how fast I was going and I said, "No, but I do know I was over the limit. In a hurry and a moment of stupid." He took my L&R, ran 'em and returned with a citation for me to sign. He had cut me some slack on the numbers which I thanked him for. Since the 'system' has changed much since my last violation, he explained how I could pay online or in-person or where and when I could appear if I wanted to enter a not guilty. I laughed at the latter and thanked him again for the information.

Our carry permits are tied in with the DL division in Wyoming thus he knew I had a CW permit after running my DL. He didn't ask me if I was armed and I didn't tell him that I was. We had a perfectly professional interaction. A little common sense and a dose of civility go a long way in civilian/police interactions.

And speeding tickets are fuckin' expensive these days... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I gotta say, I think the desire to share with someone else that you are armed is bizarre.

It works for some of you. That’s cool.

To each his own.
    The struggle of the not too dangerous is real.

It works for some of you. Thatís cool.

To each his own.
    Depends on the department here. We don't have a duty to inform, but I know cops in some jurisdictions in my area, and a few of them say their patrol officers appreciate being informed. I've mentioned it and not mentioned it about an equal number of times, and it's been a non-issue no matter what.

I've also had the good fortune to be arrested while carrying (clerk's error; fun story) by the most anti-gun department in the state, and it still wasn't an issue. As soon they asked me to get out of the car I told them what was going on, how it was holstered, how they could safely remove it once I was cuffed, etc.

It helps that I don't get nervous getting pulled over, like I've seen a lot of people do. I've spent enough time in court cross-examining officers that I don't have any weird cop phobias or anything, so as I was piecing together the fact that I was going to get arrested for no real reason I was still able to be very calm and professional, knowing it would all get worked out somewhere other than on the street that night.

Few hours watching ESPN in the jail intake, things got resolved. Took them a couple of weeks to return the gun, though, even with me persistently raising hell. Like I said, anti-gun department...
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

I'm with Brett. Unless I'm being asked out of the car (which I never am), I don't bring it up. In Illinois there's no duty to inform, but they do cross-reference so they know anyway. Then again, about the only time I get pulled over is speeding to work and speeding home from work (what can I say? I like to drive fast and get to where I'm going). And then I'm in uniform (security) so it's obvious. Every so often I've gotten pulled over and they comment about having my concealed carry license, but never ask if I'm armed.
    "Let him cut your skin, and you cut his flesh. Let him cut your flesh, and you cut his bones. Let him cut your bones, and you cut off his life."
    - Toshitsugo Takamatsu

It works for some of you. That’s cool.

To each his own.
    This.

I assume everyone is armed, and act accordingly.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 0, 16. And a wakeup.

Interaction three months ago. Me driving the Tahoe probably ten over as FFDP played and my mind on the lifting that was coming.

Saw him on the side of the road...wasn't going to do the "slam the brakes" thing...though did actively slow down gradually. Lights behind me eventually.

I pull to an area that gives him plenty of safe parking and exiting room. Roll down both windows. Hands on the wheel.

He walks up to the driver's side and before he speaks -

"I was going a little fast wasn't I?"

He agrees and asks if I knew my speed.

"No...I had my mind on other things. I apologize. I am retired LE and did your job for many years."

Short conversation about where I worked...blah...blah...blah. Usually involving guns, the bullshit they have to deal with today, etc.

"Brother I would appreciate professional courtesy here if its possible"

I haven't gotten any thusfar and I still drive like a cop I am told. I have been asked once if I was armed, and my response was "of course, but I am not threat to you...I did your job in a past life". I was once "felony stopped" in L.A., guns out and the whole deal. I noted the urgency they showed and went along without complaint. Reason...same car description as I was driving - a black T-bird, no plates. Suspect identified as a male black with dreadlocks as soon as they handcuffed me. That was underscored when they reached in an extracted my police ID. "Woops...sorry brother".

Not that big a deal kids. The only people that make a police contact a big deal are the guys that carry Kel-tecs in Fobus holsters under their 5.11 tuxedos and read SWAT magazine.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Must inform state here. I have been through a couple of license check points without any issues.
    I am in a sunny place full of shady people

Ohio is a must inform state. The CCW is also tied to the DL. If they approach you for any official reason, your are required to inform. Failure to do so can result in the loss of the CCW. This was required about 12 years ago by the State Highway Patrol as a condition for their support to the governor on the CCW bill. OHP put many poison pills in the bill hoping that it would not be accepted by the pro CCW groups and state reps and senators. We have managed to remove most the poison pills but a few such as "must inform" still exists. Most line cops have no problem with CCW, some management fake cops still have heartburn.
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson