Default THINGS THE GUN COMMUNITY CONTINUALLY GETS WRONG

G Suarez Briefing 3.jpg

We tend to face the same things year after year. We do videos, we teach classes, and write articles like this. If just one mind is opened up and one more bad guy is unsuccessful in his depredations, we consider it worthwhile.

1). Over Reliance On The Shooting Range - That combat preparation centers on running drills on the shooting range, or shooting matches, or high round counts. It doesn't. Winning a gunfight requires shooting skills, but far more important are tactics, proper movement either proactive positioning or reactive evasion in relation to the enemy. Little of this can be trained on a shooting range with its artificial safety rules. The safety requirements of an artificial training environment do not apply to a gunfight. When a "range shooter" tries to use range methods that have been modified and made safe to fit the limits of a range he risks himself unnecessarily in a fight. Whether he wins or dies then is a matter of luck not of design. Fortuitous outcomes reinforce bad tactics.

2). Focus On Fun Over Function - Nothing wrong with "fun" but what is your life's goal? If all you care about is fun, then stop reading because reading is not as fun as other things like Frisbee Golf...or a mad minute on the range. It may not be fun going to the gym and lifting heavy things three to five times per week...but the benefits you receive are worth it. It may not be fun exercising care and restrain in what you eat and drink...but the benefits you receive are worth it. It may not be fun to get shot with a UTM or Airsoft when working reactive movement drills...but the benefits you receive are worth it. See the point here? The world is filled with those who seek nothing but fun...and they are all underachieving losers.

3). The Gun is a Talisman - Along with the item listed above, the presence of a firearm means nothing at all unless the one who wields it has developed the proper attitude about its use and the ability to justify its deployment. But moreover, we see the "talisman mentality" as an excuse. Its an excuse to not be fit and allow the physicality of the body to waste away like an unused muscle. Its an excuse to go and spend time with the talisman rather than the things one is lacking, like strength, like tactics, like movement. Certainly a pistol can make the difference when a 25 year old enemy attacks an elderly 90 year old grandmother...but I see many gun guys in their thirties that move like the 90 year old grandmother due to the man-fetus they have been cultivating and feeding with beer and doughnuts. If you are not a feeble grand mother, don't act like it or live your life like you were!

4). Everyone is a Gunsmith - No, you are not. I don't care how many Youtube Videos you have watched...unless you have a current certificate or completion from a professional gunsmith school, and do the job of gunsmith for a living, you are not a gunsmith. Don't act like you are because you will invariably screw up your weapons and make them unsafe to carry. If you are not a surgeon, don't do surgery. If you are not a mechanic, don't change out your brakes. If you are not a gunsmith, leave the weapons alone and take it to someone who is.

5). Thinking Its All About Skill Or All About Gear - Cheap gear will be a constant nuisance and an anchor limiting your skill development. Skill is far more easily developed and maintained using good high quality holsters, optics, pistols, ammo, etc. A great shot with a shitty pistol will only be able to express his skill to the limits of that pistol. Unless you are living on food stamps, you can do better. Skills will never improve until price stops being the deciding factor.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

And there it is. Are you a shooter or a fighter?

P.S.: Regarding #4, there are few true gunsmiths left, as in those who can take any firearm, diagnose and repair defects, craft useful improvements. As with all true skills, deep study, perfect repetition, and continuous refreshment are required.
    And familiarity with one platform does not a gunsmith make.
    As for me, I'm a parts changer and occasional gun butcher.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 11, 16. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    And there it is. Are you a shooter or a fighter?

P.S.: Regarding #4, there are few true gunsmiths left, as in those who can take any firearm, diagnose and repair defects, craft useful improvements. As with all true skills, deep study, perfect repetition, and continuous refreshment are required.
    And familiarity with one platform does not a gunsmith make.
    As for me, I'm a parts changer and occasional gun butcher.
    I know a gunsmith that use to take in things that other gunsmiths would not touch. After some years he quit doing it not because he could not do it, but he simply could not charge the hours that the repairs required. We are talking about inherent defects in the gun that often involved the design on which the weapons are based.
    If you want to know what a gunsmith can do look at how the shop is equipped. He should be able to do anything that a light machine shop can do.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

That moment when you hear "in my experience" from someone who's never been in a gunfight.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    That moment when you hear "in my experience" from someone who's never been in a gunfight.
    For emphasis

I will be writing and filming a "what makes a great gunfight instructor...and conversely what to avoid at all costs"

In short -

What makes a great instructor

1). Personal fight knowledge and life experience
    2). Articulate speech and writing
    3). Ability to pass on the ability they possess
    4). Ability to fight (ie. fitness, real world applicable skills, etc.)
    5). Stays current

What to avoid at all costs

1). Youtube Pretenders who have never been in any sort of fight (gun or fist)
    2). Poor speech, language and explanatory abilities
    3). Fat kids with little or no physicality or fitness
    4). Competion focused instructors
    5). Skills, equipment and methods poorly developed
    Last edited by Gabriel Suarez; 11-27-2018 at 01:20 PM.
    Gabriel Suarez

..............add to that skinny kids with no upper body strength filming "in my experience" videos in child size plaid shirts in their mom's basements.
    Gabriel Suarez

A lot of people with no physicality buy guns to protect themselves.....since they cannot otherwise protect themselves...due to that lack of physicality . They then view that gun as the "solver of all problems" . That is how you end up with negative outcomes like Michael Drejka in Clearwater Florida.

Guns are great....but they are only 1 of many tools you need to be familiar with using. Other tools include minding your own business, situational awareness, verbal skills, empty hand skills, knife/impact weapon skills, communicating with police after the fact, etc.....

https://abc7chicago.com/man-charged-...d-law/3948953/
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....