Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I served a mission in the united states. My pov:

People like to go 'foreign'. And those who do, spend half their mission learning the culture and language, and the other half relishing the success of learning a new language, and whose goal it is, deep down inside, for people to confuse them as a 'local'. There is no glory, and only workworkworkwork, going state side.

Noy true for everyone, but for, say 85%, it is.

Unless you are spending years in another country, or whose culture is very similar to your own, most foreign christian missions are just weird vacations, where maybe you dig a well or something. People spend more time serving you, than vice versa.

I think this guy was lookong for some spiritual glory, more than anything. Find the most remote place on the planet, dangerous, foreign language, decease.... 'crucify me if you must, but upside down plz...' wannabe.

He searched for martyrdom, and got it.

My (judgemental) point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Taylor View Post
    I served a mission in the united states. My pov:

People like to go 'foreign'. And those who do, spend half their mission learning the culture and language, and the other half relishing the success of learning a new language, and whose goal it is, deep down inside, for people to confuse them as a 'local'. There is no glory, and only workworkworkwork, going state side.

Noy true for everyone, but for, say 85%, it is.

Unless you are spending years in another country, or whose culture is very similar to your own, most foreign christian missions are just weird vacations, where maybe you dig a well or something. People spend more time serving you, than vice versa.

I think this guy was lookong for some spiritual glory, more than anything. Find the most remote place on the planet, dangerous, foreign language, decease.... 'crucify me if you must, but upside down plz...' wannabe.

He searched for martyrdom, and got it.

My (judgemental) point of view.
    Your judgement is pretty much straight on to what happened.

During one abandoned effort, Chau writes that he hollered
    “My name is John, I love you and Jesus loves you.”
    The feelings weren’t reciprocal.
    [A] man wearing a white crown possibly made of flowers [took] a “leadership stance” by standing atop the tallest coral rock on the beach. The man yelled, and Mr. Chau tried to respond, singing some worship songs and yelling back something in Xhosa, a language he apparently knew a few words of from when he coached soccer in South Africa a few years ago.
    That’s an interesting linguistic advance. It makes no more sense to address the Sentinelese in English, of course, but Chau’s choice of Xhosa — a language spoken by black people five thousand miles away — seems to point to the neo-colonial notion that the vast cultural differences between darker-skinned people can be papered over with a little bit of “primitive” argot that the white (or Asian) visitor, in his magnanimity, has taken it upon himself to learn.
    Things subsequently went from bad to worse.
    When Mr. Chau tried to hand over fish and a bundle of gifts, a boy shot an arrow “directly into my Bible which I was holding.”
    “I grabbed the arrow shaft as it broke in my Bible and felt the arrow head,” he said. “It was metal, thin but very sharp.” Mr. Chau stumbled back and shouted at the boy.
    When that didn’t cure Chau of his penchant for proselytizing, things inevitably took the turn that he’d reckoned with in the letter, when he pleaded with his loved ones to not be angry at the Sentinelese — “or at God” — “if I get killed.”
    On the afternoon of Nov. 16, the fishermen told police officers, Mr. Chau reassured them that he would be fine staying on the island overnight and that the fishermen could go. They motored out, leaving Mr. Chau alone for the first time.
    When they passed by the island the next morning, they saw the islanders dragging his body on the beach with a rope.
    https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...l-and-naivete/
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I recall a story about some very loud American missionaries in Spain some years ago...made quite a spectacle of themselves and the police were called.

The officer had lived in the USA and knew the score. As he began the conversation, they began throwing out the catch phrases.

He brought up his hand to stop the conversation. He pointed to one church within sight and told them that one was older than the USA...and that other one...older than the discovery of the Americas.

"Everyone in Spain believes in Christ...now go back to the hotel...have a drink and a nice vacation..."

Last edited by Gabriel Suarez; 11-25-2018 at 06:56 PM.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

This tribe has never been contacted by the “white man” since Great Britain took control of India. Almost every attempt to contact them has been met with violence (in the 70’s iirc, an expedition left 2 pigs and a doll on the island at night and drifted away to see the reception of the gifts. Both pigs were speared and killed, then buried with the doll). There were a couple times where coconuts were floated in and they were received well... the majority of the time, the folks had arrows shot at them. After the tsunami hit, they flew a helicopter over... only to find no signs of loss of life, and be shot at with arrows (there are actually 3 separate ancient tribes on these islands... None of which appear to have lost members during the tsunami). Interacting with the outside world is actually the major cause of death from disease since they have no immunity. There is realistically nothing to learn from them, their position shows no strategic military advantage, and they are completely self sufficient. The mere act of interacting with them will probably result in their death (attempting to bring Jesus to folks should not result in the converts meeting him more rapidly). Just leave them alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk