Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Quite possibly the worst article I have ever read....

What the hell does half of this gobbledygook even mean? One paragraph is a run on sentence that is just a bunch of words that means nothing intelligent. And HOW exactly pray tell is a "F"ing HANDGUN going to "change modern combat"? And for the idiot that said you can use the M17 (Sig 320) ONE HANDED but not the Beretta...WTF? This reads like an author who doesn't know anything about guns is interviewing someone who doesn't know anything about guns....literally the WORST article I have read in ...well....maybe ever....

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/army-sa...-modern-combat

Earlier this year, soldiers with the Army’s 101st Airborne Division were the first to receive the services’ new high-tech 9mm pistol engineered to give dismounted infantry a vastly increased ability to fight and close with an enemy in caves, tunnels, crawl spaces, houses and other close quarter combat scenarios.

Service weapons developers and soldiers say the new M17 and M18 pistol, designed as a next-generation handgun to follow the Army’s current M9 Beretta, is expected to substantially change combat tactics, techniques and strategies for dismounted soldiers on-the-move.

“You can close with the enemy in close quarter combat and engage the enemy with one hand. It is tough to do this with the M9,” Lt. Col. Martin O’Donnell, spokesman for the 101st Airborne, told reporters earlier this year.

The new pistol is built with a more ergonomic configuration to better accommodate the widest possible range of hand grip techniques for soldiers and enable rapid hand switching as needed in combat. The M17 is said by developers to bring much tighter dispersion, improved versatility and next-generation accuracy.

“With this weapon, you can change quickly from right hand to left hand. If you are shooting something that is not comfortable on your hand and can't get a comfortable grip, it is not as accurate,” Sgt. 1st Class Andrew Flynn, 101st Division Master Gunner, said earlier this year.

The new handguns are built with an external safety, self-illuminating sights for low-light conditions, an integrated rail for attaching enablers and an Army standard suppressor conversion kit to attach an acoustic/flash suppressor, service developers said.

“It increases target recognition and increases capability with night sights,” Lt. Col. Steven Power, Individual Weapons Product Manager, Soldier Weapons, told reporters earlier this year.
    The Army is now acquiring thousands of full-size XM17 and compact XM18 versions of the new 9mm pistol. The XM17 fires 147 grain jacketed hollow point ammunition.
    When it comes to fast-evolving tactics now used in close-quarter combat, something with which Army soldiers fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan now have more than a decade of experience, an ability to maneuver with increased lethality in caves, tunnels, crawl spaces, attics or buildings allows soldiers to access life-impacting firepower more effectively - especially in “tight quarters” situations where a longer, larger rifle may not be available for use.

Fast emerging targets and quick-changing circumstances, fundamental to close-quarter combat, naturally require rapid decision making and on-the spot flexibility amid military confrontation. Requirements and technical improvements with the M17 were specifically designed with this in mind, Army developers emphasized.
    “This adds a whole new dynamic to close-quarter combat. A standard pistol cannot change grips or allow a soldier to switch from a right-handed shooter to a left-handed shooter. This is a great capability for us to put in play,” Flynn said.

Close quarter combat, while considered indispensable to successful counterinsurgency warfare, is also something of significant relevance to large-scale force-on-force, mechanized combat against a potential near-peer adversary. Urban warfare - from urban combat in WWII to house-to-house fighting in Hue City in Vietnam - is naturally a long-standing component of major war as well.
    Power explained that the Army’s M17 acquisition effort unfolded on a massively accelerated timeframe, moving to contract within 10 months.

“We are dual arming the infantry at the position of team leader and above,” Power said.
    The fast-tracked acquisition effort, which merged work from the Army Research Lab and the Army’s Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center, drew heavily from modeling and simulation to expedite development of the new weapon.

Prospects for the handgun have been well received across DoD; the Navy, Air Force and Marines are also receiving this pistol, according to a report from Military.com.
    The Army has been closely coordinating with the Special Operations community regarding training and development of the new handgun, given the consistency with which close-quarter combat is utilized by SOF.
    The M17 and M18 pistols are manufactured by Sig Sauer, who earned the $580 million contract to produce the weapons in January of this year.

Other competitors included Glock, FN America and Beretta USA.
    ---This Story first appeared on Warrior Maven several months ago - and is being reprinted due to reader interest and current news relevance --
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

And it is going to" substantially change tactics"? HOW? HOW is a PISTOL that fires the same round as the pistol you had last week with the same capacity as the pistol you had last week going to SUBSTANTIALLY change your tactics from last week?
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

Because propaganda?
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Yea, tripped across that article a couple days ago. I think its tag line at the bottom of the article should be changed to:

"... is being reprinted due to reader demand for comic relief"
    anonymity is underrated

Unfair. Unbalanced. Unmedicated.

Newton's Third Law is a motherfucker.

Seems like the military 'experts' quoted in the article must be mentally retarded or they were talking about something completely different from the little 9mm pistols the article is about.
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

That's funny, I read that pistols were nice to have, but not essential. Maybe he's getting kickbacks to sell that crap?
    Making the bad man go away since 1982.

Black Jack Pershing is spinning in his grave,
    Last edited by Papa; 11-21-2018 at 07:30 PM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 0, 19. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    And it is going to" substantially change tactics"? HOW? HOW is a PISTOL that fires the same round as the pistol you had last week with the same capacity as the pistol you had last week going to SUBSTANTIALLY change your tactics from last week?
    Well, because unlike other 9mm handguns, this one shoots the 147 grain jacketed hollow point. And unlike other pistols, you can shoot it with the other hand. But I think the most important game changer is that it is able to do both of these at the same time, like no other hand gun last week. So yes ladies and gentlemen it was worth $580M to find out you can in fact shoot with the other hand. Oh, and to find out that new pistols might be more accurate than old ones with 100,000 rounds or better down the pipe.
    Last edited by res308; 11-21-2018 at 06:33 PM.
    Psalm 139:21,22
    Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
    I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

Life lesson: Whether on the road, or in the woods, the skunk ALWAYS has the right of way.

The truth is hatred to those who hate truth.

This pistol shoots itself! PROGRESS!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heckathorn View Post
    This pistol shoots itself! PROGRESS!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same manual of arms as a hand grenade?
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend

TWOTU since 2016