Default Anybody experiences with ATN Night Vision

Iíve been fighting the buy cheap demons on night vision for too long and have decided to up grade. In the past I toyed with Soviet/Russian stuff then moved onto cheaper commercial stuff of the generation 1 and 2 grade (although I question if they were really gen 2).

I want a clip on scope so I donít have to disturb my day scope. Itíll be mainly for Wild Boar hunting.

Iíve been looking at the PVS 14 and PVS 22. ATN has their versions in the $1600 to $3000 ranges depending on which models and features. Iíve spoken to their guys about the differences, they seem competent and knowledgeable. I know ATN also makes lower end but the better stuff seems, well better; but I donít have any more hands on experience with them then seeing models at gun shows.

As this is primarily a hunting item Iím looking for quality but not sure I need true go to war gear. So anybody with ATN experience?

I can't speak for ATN, but the crew at TNVC are top shelf.
    Mostly retired milpers.

I bought one of their PVS-14's a few months ago, and set
    it up with a Norotos on a bump cap. Great kit!

John
    Last edited by Johnny C!; 11-22-2018 at 09:43 PM.
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

It is good to know of reliable outfits. The bump cap monocular is what I am looking at real hard now.. One of the things that has held me back is buying something that is pricey for which I have no hands on experience with. I want to be able to pair up a monocular with RDS type sights on pistol, shotgun, or carbine. There are people that belong to my club that use the thermal type scopes on their AR15s to kill feral hogs locally. I have enough rifles around that I could spare one for such a scope. I would likely do it in .308 in a semiauto platform.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I am sure there are others here, way more experienced
    than me, but my take is you need both thermal & NV
    to be able to really function well at night. A good friend
    bought a 14 from TNVC. I played with it for about 30
    minutes and knew I had to have my own. They build
    street legal units, but built to military specs. They
    are very approachable & they answer the phone
    when you call. I am very pleased with my unit &
    the CS was wonderful.
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

Amongst other cheap NV optics, I have a Chinese clip on model (mounts in front of a day scope). Its a digital scope. Digital is fine for hunting 4 legged animals BUT it requires an IR light source (so anybody with a smart phone can see your IR beam). The advantage of digital, is that its "day safe" meaning no pin hole lens cover is necessary. Digital is NOT a serious tactical option.

I also have a ATN PS14. its sorta a PVS 14, not quite but much nicer than anything sub $1500. They can be had in Gen 2+, and 3. By a large margin, its the best civilian NV optic Ive ever used. Im still looking at the PS22 and PS28 for even better performance.

I was inspired by Gabe's Thanksgiving Trek yesterday so I decided to do a little NV testing last night. It was a last minute idea so I only tossed a couple scopes in my gear/rifle bag. Using the plastic "J arm" (picatinny rail mount) provided with the Chinese digital scope, I mounted it on a AR pistol in front of a Trijicon Reflex scope. The Trij Reflex uses tritium only as a light source for the dot, still it was visible "through" the NV scope. Using only available light (full moon), image was "OK" (amazing if you've never used NV; but only OK if youre used to even 1980s gear). The usable range was maybe 50+ yards. Yeah I could see farther; but practical range was limited. Adding a large IR flashlight think Surefire Stinger with a 3" lens, the sun came out and range was extended to 100 yards. Again that probably OK for hunting 4 legged animals BUT nothing I want for serious tactical use.

Then I switched to the ATN PS14. It was like the sun came out. Even with the pin hole cove in place it was still a MUCH better view (sharper) than the Chinese digital scope. Once I removed the pin hole it was simply amazing. Id estimate the usable range at 300+ yards for seeing targets, actually IDing faces (friend/foe) was shorter; but I could ID M4 vs AK easily at something like 100 yards or more. When silhouetted against a light coloured barn, IDing the M4 vs AK was possible at longer distances. The IR flashlight wasn't necessary; but improved the quality even further. (Remember that IR light sources are viewable on smart phones and even cheap Chinese NV optics.

If you absolutely must use a NV optic that requires a IR light source, get your brother-in-law to hold it for you and have him stand a couple hundred yards away.... That being said, I can see some diversionary use for IR flashlights if lit and abandoned to attract attention.

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post

............If you absolutely must use a NV optic that requires a IR light source, get your brother-in-law to hold it for you and have him stand a couple hundred yards away.... That being said, I can see some diversionary use for IR flashlights if lit and abandoned to attract attention.
    An NV option is useful if it increases definition and my target is not capable of shooting back. I am looking for at times for nocturnal 4-legged raiders.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez