Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Food, fire, shelter, and, water. Check.

Thankful for the seven hours...twenty miles...elevation changes...several eco systems and weather changes. Thankful for the fire...the beer...for family and home. And to hell, horror, and death to our enemies.

Skol!!!
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Jefe,

Great example of a shugyo session!

Would you mind sharing what, if anything, you did differently as a train up for this?

Jim Miller

ISA 6:8

We didn't plan much. The idea is to get up right now and do it. So we have our gear packed usually 24-7-365. We pick a day that works and off we go. I like Shugyo stuff like this as it is telling. Non-karateka, google Shugyo. In essence...they are self imposed tests or report cards.

We covered close to twenty miles with serious elevation changes and atmo conditions. We went from t-shirts to polartec plus goretex twice. This is about a quarter mile from the house and we thrive on this as much as possible. We get two miles in and see no humans for days. This can be a leisurely stroll for a couple of miles...but we ran it like a test and had a route to manage, and the Shield Maiden at home with a Sat-phone in case shit happened.

We started at 0830 HRS on Thanksgiving Day and finished the route at 1645 HRS. I admit the last few miles were a chore for me. I overloaded my pack and my right knee began to give me drama on the way down. The right knee lost all its meniscus in 1999, so the downshift is a PITA.

We had many opportunities to take game had we wanted to, and ample shelter locations. We have a plan usually...but shit happens, and has happened, so we plan and are always on the watch for food, fire, water and shelter.

There is a route we are looking at to circumnavig a mountain. Maybe next year in the spring. I know Nichols wants to come...maybe Brent. We have seen Bears and Lions...and the occasional wilderness Breaking Bad type guy.

Today I am smoked..we gave it our all and beat our time table by an hour. This is what life is about...not sitting on your ass drinking yourself into stupor, but earning what you eat and drink with feats pf physicality.

SKOL
    Gabriel Suarez

Nice.
    20 miles is no joke.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

I had to pop SF style "go sleep" pills to crash I was in such pain. Today is better, but yeah...it was a test.
    Gabriel Suarez

I think a small group would have a great time for a ten day stretch...a true "wilderness warrior" event...just saying
    Gabriel Suarez

Sounds like you had an amazing time. I don't get into the wild near as much as I would like. Skol!
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Your honesty is much appreciated.

r

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I think a small group would have a great time for a ten day stretch...a true "wilderness warrior" event...just saying
    That would be truly memorable. Calling it fun would do it a disservice.

Jim Miller
    ISA 6:8