Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thoughts on the V3 semi-auto TAC-14?

I'm not in the market personally at 3x(?) the cost of the pumps, and I'm happy with the ones I have. But curious what the initial read is on this item. I've never owned a Versamax but the guys I know that have them like them it seems.

We don't know. Nobody has one anywhere other than their saved images file.

IF it works reliably, it may be interesting. And that is a big IF.
    Does it offer a serious advantage for a fighting shotgun? Not in my opinion.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Semi weapons frequently fail to cycle from weakly shouldered guns. I see plenty of potential to not have an iron resistance grip on one of these shortys Failure to cycle is dealt into the design. I will pass.

Choirboy

Yeah...my thoughts as well. Everyone wants the crossfit supermodel in the thong before they realize she identifes as a 60 year old man and has crabs.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
    Semi weapons frequently fail to cycle from weakly shouldered guns. I see plenty of potential to not have an iron resistance grip on one of these shortys Failure to cycle is dealt into the design. I will pass.

Choirboy
    That makes a lot of sense.

I would wait for others to test them out extensively on youtube reviews. IMO Semiauto shotguns feeding from tubes can take alot longer to get back into action from a malfunction, versus a semiauto box fed. Clearing a stuck shell that did not extract is likely to cause other malfunctions like a double feed, at least in the Benelli M4 that I have shot quite a bit my friend has. Semiautos also generally do not feed well with reduced recoil loads. The only reason to get a semiauto shotgun is if the recoil of a pump is too much for someone to handle, that advantage would be lost on these types of shotguns if it requires you to run full power or magnum shells to function. The semiauto feature would also require far more greater care in use with the support hand, I could see one of these easily double firing under the recoil after the first pull potentially causing serious injury to the operator, a solid hand stop on the end would be an absolute must.

WraithWolf is correct.

The short "non-shottys" are essentially big pistols. I believe that most of us here have taught a newbie to shoot. If an auto pistol was used we saw "limpwristing" and the pistol did not feed.

The real world need for the Non-gun shotty is precisely a world when things like stance and strong arm resistance to significant recoil are not baked into the cake. The cake will misfeed and be far slower than the affirmative pump of an 870 based action

Choirboy

Quote Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
    WraithWolf is correct.

The short "non-shottys" are essentially big pistols. I believe that most of us here have taught a newbie to shoot. If an auto pistol was used we saw "limpwristing" and the pistol did not feed.
    Im not sure this is a newbie weapon (neither is the Tac 14 for that matter). I do agree that this isn't an answer for the "I don't want to pump" crowd but I also see some especially special uses for it where semi auto would be an advantage--firing from a vehicle? YES it will require an experienced shooter with special training for this weapon

If it can take a Mesa or Suarez brace adapter, it might have some merit, as you could reduce "limpwristing" with additional points of contact.
    How often do people "limpwrist" stocked shotguns, anyway?

(For those that don't know, the full sized V3 has no springs in the grip/stock.)

I would like to think that Remington would have
    enough sense to tune the recoil system to work
    reliably with the intended method. I can't see
    them just using the stock recoil system.

That said, I have no desire to own one. I'll stick
    to my Tac-14's.
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.