Thread: New Experience

Default New Experience

I know that for some of you country folk this will seem like no big deal, but having grown up in New York City this is a new experience for me, and one that I have worked towards for quite some time.

Yesterday afternoon, I shot a deer.

15 years ago, as a resident of NYC, I jumped through the hoops to buy a shotgun and try hunting (my first gun, BTW). Going hunting was always a pain in the butt for me - it involved long drives out of the city, and paying a lot of money to a guide, and over the course of 15 or so years I never saw a damned thing while I was in the forest - either with a guide or without. And I spent an awful lot of time and money trying.

This summer we moved to the Hudson Valley to a few acres abutting state land. Going hunting was no longer an all-day affair. I could sit in my stand for a few hours if I wanted to. And yet all of archery season, nothing. Lots of deer on the trail camera, but nothing to shoot.

This afternoon was the second day of gun season, and I went to my stand around 3:15. About an hour later I hear something and sure enough, there is a doe walking in the woods, but her location was not safe to shoot. So I watched, and I waited, and I watched some more. And then she walked into an area where I knew I could take a safe shot. I placed the crosshairs where I wanted them and slowly squeezed the trigger - nothin. The safety was on! (there's a lesson here that this board has been preaching for years about defensive pistols with safeties - when the adrenaline is pumping, you might forget to take it off safe!) My placement was off, likely due to a rushed shot after I took the gun off safe - the slug destroyed her liver, not her lungs. But she went down as soon as she was hit and never got up, so I count that as a clean kill. It's the largest thing I've ever killed, and the only mammal bigger than a rat. The field dressing process was significantly less gross, but more time-consuming, than I had expected.

And now, at almost 46 years old, I have harvested my first deer. While the rest of the carcass is hanging in my shed, I turned the heart into Hank Shaw's Jagerschnitzel from the book Buck Buck Moose. I had no idea what to expect, and boy was it rich, but it was delicious. I canít wait to see what else I can make!

(Long story short, after 15 years of trying, I killed a deer and ate its heart for dinner. That's probably normal for some of you, but to me it seems kind of bad-assed.)

It is. Congratulations.

Never had any luck deer hunting. The ones I've shot have been hit by cars or otherwise injured, the last one by a train. And we killed 2 when they committed suicide using our vehicles!
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 11, 16. And a wakeup.

Congrats!

You did better than me on your first deer.

I killed my one & only buck with my first Mercedes.

They both were totaled!
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

Congrats! It's never too late to start.

Last month I went on my first deer hunt, though I didn't personally have a tag. Here in Utah there is much more hunting pressure, and much smaller herds, so getting a tag involves a lottery and is harder. I hadn't ever been on a hunt and I was interested in learning so when a friend drew out a tag and offered to let me come along, I couldn't say no.

He shot a small buck and I helped him carry it out; in all, I learned enough that I'm going to try my hand at it next year.

There's nothing quite like turning wild game into table fare. There are many dishes that I prefer with venison over beef. Congratulations on the kill; may you have many more.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

Owner of Ray's Pawnshop in Bridge City TX

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Congrats !!!

Hey, like my Pop before me, Im one of the worlds best hunters.....can hunt em for days. Finding??? Now Finding them is a problem, but I can hunt them for days ;)

Most of the years, its a nature walk with a stick and string ;)
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Congrats! We got 4 in the freezer from the first shotgun season here. Since we own 84 acres in VERY VERY Southern Illinois, it is a 5 minute (maybe) walk to the stand. I have seen them out the back door and swear that one of these days I will shoot one from there just to say I did. We do our own butchering too since it cost so much to have it processed and who knows whose meat you will get. A lot of work but worth it in quality of meat.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Congratulations! Sounds like you did just fine. Enjoy your bounty...and, BTW, don't overcook it.