Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertGuy View Post
    For us non-full auto civilians, why is the Angstadt Arms SCW-9 more interesting than their UDP-9?
    And there's also their UDP-9iP integrally suppressed pistol that's quite interesting too.
    Its more the stock, or rather the brace they are developing, that is interesting.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Straight off the top of my head it looks like pretty much any Glock magazine 9mm AR lower with a short (4") barrel. The big difference is what looks like a really short buffer tube and a PDW (Honey Badger) type stock.

The current PDW style stocks and braces are designed around 556/300 Blk Out rounds with the need for a larger(longer) buffer. Typically 9mm ARs are blowback using a heavy buffer and spring. My guess is they have found a way to build a system that works with a shorter buffer tube by using an even heavier buffer and heavier spring???

I like it (of course I do, its a SMG!). Im not sure how much I think the a 4 inch barrel is a good idea; but it does keep a short OAL. I don't know how revolutionary the design is, other than being AR based, it seems very HK MP5PDW-esque. I based my AR9K off the same concept a few years ago (before the Honey Badger braces were available). Back then I used a 5" barrel (3 lugged) with a Law Tactical folding unit and a Gear Head Works Tailhook brace. The folder makes it short (but fat when folded) and of course makes it a one shot affair if fired with the fired with the brace folded.

The MagPul sights are nice but Id run a RMR or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertGuy View Post
    For us non-full auto civilians, why is the Angstadt Arms SCW-9 more interesting than their UDP-9?.
    Itís all about the buffer tube (receiver extension). That design feature prevents the AR from being useable while the stock is folded. Shortening that part is both significant and difficult.

Iíve got a CMMG dedicated 22LR upper that incorporates the entire bolt movement within the upper receiver. It makes me wonder if that system could be adapted to 9mm. When all bolt movement is in the upper, you could do away with the buffer tube and just attach a stock/brace. It would also generate the need for a new folding stock (sans buffer tube) for the AR (which could be used immediately on the CMMG .22 rifles).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    It’s all about the buffer tube (receiver extension). That design feature prevents the AR from being useable while the stock is folded. Shortening that part is both significant and difficult.
    Exactly

This is a cool little gun. It will be interesting to see what the braced version looks like. I'm sure that once the civilian version comes out all the small details (barrel length, threaded vs integral, so on) will be up to the paying customer.

I'm glad they went Glock mag first, but if the Army wants a few thousand of them with the 320 mag set up I'm sure it's possible.