Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The issue with Combative Classes are these.

1. You cant ignore nature...fighting is a physical action. Often we get totally unphysical people thinking a class like this is a short cut to ten years of karate...its not.

2. There are no magic techniques or secrets. The only secret is hard work on the basics for a long time...not a few reps in a weekend.

3. A specific martial seminar assumes a common starting point. You dont go to a full contact karate seminar without having done it...nor a Gracie BJJ seminar without having done it. Having bought a gun and having a CCWvis marginally interesting in this context.

We are taking steps to "remartialize" gunfighting...but the punching and kicking game needs a base to begin from.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

It hurts like a mother. I got an awful dead leg from one. Ognen who is about 147 lbs (i was 215lbs) kicked me hard through a pad twice and the power was unbelievable. When sparring with even moderately trained people still had a heck of an impact on me.

Observing fights I noticed that even trained and conditioned fighters are only able to take a couple of legs kicks before being forced into starting to Check those kicks. Making it a hard technique to "prepare"for if you plan is not to Check or Counter the kick.

People using a wide Karate or Boxing stance have a hard time trying to avoid the kick-Keeping their Front Feet clued to the floor and moving forward by dragging their Rear Leg towards the Front Leg turns the Front Leg into an easy target. And because the stance is so wide they also find it almost impossible to move out of the Line of Attack.

NOTE: This is a stance that both inexperienced and experienced fighters will naturally move into.

Another common mistake I see even experienced fighters make is that they only keep an eye on their opponents Rear Leg. Giving you an opportunity to land a Leg Kick with your Front Leg to the inside of his leg. And because the leg is closer to the other fighter it turns it into a even faster kick. Making it even harder to Check or Counter.

But the one thing that most people can do to improve their Leg Kicks is to use their hips. I think because they are attacking the Low Line they only use their feet, keeping their hips and upper body static.Even twisting the bottom of their foot inwards turning the kick into more of a Foot Sweep.

Another leg attack that seems to work well is the Heel Hook. Taking advantage of the natural instinct of wanting to push the other person back. The second part of the attack, slipping the heel of the foot in behind the opponents angle and tripping them is also a concept & technique that people "get" fairly quickly. And are able to apply almost immediately.

But the real advantage of the technique is that it keeps you on your feet in Kicking and Striking range & immediately creates distance between you and the attacker. Presenting you with an opportunity to draw a weapon.

Ossu !
    Elfie

I've used the low roundhouse in corrections and patrol. I've been in numerous scrapes and I'm still pretty. If thrown with proper intent and technique it appears as if their legs were struck by lightning. True story.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

Owner of Ray's Pawnshop in Bridge City TX

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Not much to add just want to chime in that I know a bouncer who is on the smaller side but has still beat up a few much bigger guys but delivering some well placed leg kicks.

Leg kicks and throat punches are like magic sometimes ;)